What's new

Are all stub/italic nibs scratchy?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Short of one tuned or smoothed by a nibmiester, are all stub or italic nibs scratchy? Some are obviously smoother than others and the angle of use has a lot to do with it. I have been playing with Lamy, Nemosine, Goulet, Esterbrook and Pilot 78G nibs. Is there anything out there substantially different from these?

The only italic I have used is the one which came with a TWSBI 580. I think the nib is German made. However, it shows no scratchiness at all. I hope someone with more knowledge will chime in and give a more comprehensive answer.

TWSBI, Edison, and a number of makers use a German nib brand called JoWo. Their factory stubs are inexpensive and very smooth.

-Andy

You mention Esterbrooks among others. The stub nibs of theirs that I've tried, the 2442, 2284, 2314-F, and 2314-M, are left obliques, and need to be rotated to the left while writing. I found the 2314-M in particular to be scratchy until I got the rotation right, and then it smoothed out dramatically.

My Conklin factory stub is very smooth. The italic on my Pelikan 200 is ok, or it can be scratchy if the angle is off.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Slivovitz, you're right re: the Esterbrook 2314-M, I didn't realize that it was a left oblique until your post and I checked it under magnification. It is actually one of the smoothest of my wider nibs. I must naturally cant to the left a bit without knowing it.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Stubs will be smoother than italics, as the corners are rounder rather than pointed square.

I have a factory stub in one of my Parker 51s. It is not scratchy. It does give me just a bit of feedback. Overall, it writes smoothly.

I have three other tuned stubs. All write extremely well and all are very smooth.

Short of one tuned or smoothed by a nibmiester, are all stub or italic nibs scratchy? Some are obviously smoother than others and the angle of use has a lot to do with it. I have been playing with Lamy, Nemosine, Goulet, Esterbrook and Pilot 78G nibs. Is there anything out there substantially different from these?

Most should be pretty smooth. Monteverde, Goulet (smoothest of the bunch), and Nemosine are typically smooth. Pilot 78G/Plumix nibs will be somewhat scratchy because they are crisp italics. Do you have a loupe to check tine alignment? This would be the most likely culprit, then I'd look into your writing angle. Italics have a smaller sweet spot, but stubs are quite generous in general.

I have a Lamy 1.1 mm and it isn't scratchy at all. Check one of the following- tines for alignment and how you are holding it. You do have to make sure the flat edge is flat on the paper. Mine is one of my smoothest nibs I own.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Yes, I do have a 10X loupe. None of my above nibs are horribly scratchy, just kinda scratchy. Probably more my technique than anything else.

Short of one tuned or smoothed by a nibmiester, are all stub or italic nibs scratchy?

Certainly not, as others said already. But calligraphy nibs, which can deliver a very crisp line, are a bit more touchy on the correct angle than stubs or cursive italics.

I have a Lamy 1.1 mm and it isn't scratchy at all. Check one of the following- tines for alignment and how you are holding it. You do have to make sure the flat edge is flat on the paper. Mine is one of my smoothest nibs I own.

Agreed. That 1.1mm writes like buttah.

Top Bottom