What's new

First straight.New vs Vintage

Hey there people. Been DE shaving for a little bit now, getting better, and not going to switch to straight shaving too soon....but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't my ultimate goal and I'm not already doing my research. So I'm curious, which would you all recommend for a first razor...Getting something new, or getting a good deal on something older and restoring it? Regardless, I'm not going to spend more than $100-$150 dollars, and would like something that can stay with me as my skill improves (I'm into things that last, which is why I got into wet shaving to begin with). I've seen a lot of old Wade and Butchers that don't seem too beat up, and I really like the look a of mildly pitted razor. I also think I'll be capable of restoring....I work quite a bit with kitchen knives and I'm not that scared of honing, stropping, and polishing (though anything gnarly would probably get professional help). So, as usual, any advice would be helpful, thanks!

ANY straight you buy will last for two or three generations.

Biy whichever razor appeals to you and get it honed up.

You will soon buy more...

As stated, it's really a matter of personal preference and you can't go wrong either way. My personal preference is vintage. I like knowing that it's so well made that it's already stood the test of time.

It doesn't really matter. You have to get a good straight, it needs to be shave ready. Brand new ones look mint, whereas 2nd hand ones could look used, as long as it is free of rust, has a straight edge ( no nicks), and is sharpened & honed (shave ready), they both will perform equally excellent.

Just be aware that 2nd hand razors have to be in relaitively good shape, to be able to make them satisfactory shave ready, if they are, and after thay have been made shave ready, the result is as satisfying as that of a new (or NOS) one.

Simply put: a shave ready vintage performs better than a bad (or shave unready) new one and vice versa.

I bought the new ones, because I hadn't discovered a forum (the Dutch "shavingsociety.nl), where you can buy great 2nd hand stuff for good prices, yet. So I didn't want to buy 2nd hand: and either the blades were junk, or the pictures weren't detailed enough to inspire confidence. Plus I didn't know any address where to sharpen my razor. Now I do. So now I have no isszue buying used razors, when I am confident of the blade integrity. Perhaps in time I will buy honing stones myself.

Be sure to drown a second hand one in barbicide for 15 minutes before using.

Last edited:
Top Bottom