What's new

Won a few SE razors from eBay this week

A couple of good picks...the GEM Push Button's have a great handle, and they are a nice shave :thumbup:
Congrats...keep us posted once you give them a try.

Ah, beautiful set! Congrats on your find. I can see why you bid on that brush, as it is very unique and beautiful!

Thanks, but I am a part-time SE user full time collector :001_smile
I have a 1912 GEM and Everready, the entire MM family, Feather weight, gem junior w/Parade handle and G-Bar.
Now a Push button, and contour II.

I like my GEMS, think they are great shavers. Can't wait to try out the new ones.

Last week I got a lot of 6 razors on Ebay.
A Gem Micromatic
A Valet Autostrop
Schick Injector
Gillette Tech
Gillette Old Type
Some unknown DE that resembles a Tech, a real piece of Junk.

Shaved with the Gem tonight for the first time. Put a new Gem SE blade in there, 2 passes to BBS heaven.
An excellent shave!
I just got the special Feather blades for the AutoStrop, so I will try that one next time.
Ordered some Schick Injector blades so maybe try that one out next week.

IMHO I got just as good a shave out of that GEM than I do from my armada of Gillette DE razors.

Last week I got a lot of 6 razors on Ebay.
A Gem Micromatic
A Valet Autostrop
Schick Injector
Gillette Tech
Gillette Old Type
Some unknown DE that resembles a Tech, a real piece of Junk.

Shaved with the Gem tonight for the first time. Put a new Gem SE blade in there, 2 passes to BBS heaven.
An excellent shave!
I just got the special Feather blades for the AutoStrop, so I will try that one next time.
Ordered some Schick Injector blades so maybe try that one out next week.

IMHO I got just as good a shave out of that GEM than I do from my armada of Gillette DE razors.

Hello, I just got a gillette stamped autostrop CV2. 1st shave with the feather blade (stainless) was good but felt a little course.I don't think the blade is as sharp as I would like. I'd like to find a strop for this razor. maybe with a little polish it would smooth out. let me know what you think when you try it. Otherwise very very nice razor.

View attachment 549256View attachment 549257View attachment 549258

Strops for the Auto Strops can usually be found on the auction site, although stainless blades do not respond well to stropping. Feather also makes carbon steel blades for the Auto Strops, although they can be more difficult to find.

--Bob

I shaved with the Autostrop for the first time last night. Ugh! Even with a brand new Feather blade in there, I did not get a close shave at all even after WTG and ATG passes.
I have seen some of the leather strops for it on the Bay. Unless you want to source some of the original Autostrop blades for it, the strop is unnecessary, the stainless Feather blades won't respond well to the strop.
I will try it again, make sure I am doing the angle right, and loading the blade properly. So far though I will stick with the Gem Micromatic.

I shaved with the Autostrop for the first time last night. Ugh! Even with a brand new Feather blade in there, I did not get a close shave at all even after WTG and ATG passes.
I have seen some of the leather strops for it on the Bay. Unless you want to source some of the original Autostrop blades for it, the strop is unnecessary, the stainless Feather blades won't respond well to the strop.
I will try it again, make sure I am doing the angle right, and loading the blade properly. So far though I will stick with the Gem Micromatic.

I haven't used mine either after the first try was thinking maybe the blade would "break in" and smooth out but I have been using the GEM's since then. Maybe the thing needs to be used like a GEM with the razor held flatter to your face? I don't know I'll try it again later.

I found some of the Feather carbon steel blades on the bay, Guy wants 9.60 for 10 blades free shipping. This is the link http://www.ebay.com/itm/111001331808?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT Its a buy it now deal. I might give those a try.

Top Bottom