What's new

Feather AS-D2 Stand

Does anyone have experience with the resin stands for this razor from Rudy Vey? It looks just like the Feather stand, minus the weight.

He wants the exact dimensions, I'm just gonna get the razor with the Feather stand. I'll never be happy till I have the Feather stand.

I was in search of a similar one too. I think the Razor Rock SS one is the closet to the Feather one, for way cheaper. It doesn't look as nice though. I thought the Ikon aluminum one it too light and tippy.

Was looking for an alternative stand for my AS-D2, as I just didn't think it necessary to pay the high price for the one from Feather. Found this one that fit the bill perfectly ($19.99 +s/h).

Attachments

• $AS-D2 Stand...jpg
    $AS-D2 Stand...jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 200
  • $AS-D2 Stand..jpg
    $AS-D2 Stand..jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 198
And you buy these where??

Gear shift knob (re-drilled base hole to eliminate threads and to enlarge to diameter of razor handle). Can use as pictured above, which provides adequate stability, or upside down for a different look.

Speedwaymotors.com
Part Number 91021910

Attachments

• $91021910_L.jpeg
    $91021910_L.jpeg
    24.9 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Gear shift knob (re-drilled base hole to eliminate threads and to enlarge to diameter of razor handle). Can use as pictured above, which provides adequate stability, or upside down for a different look.

Speedwaymotors.com
Part Number 91021910
We want something we don't have to re-drill, DISQUALIFIED

I like the gear shift knob idea, way easier than my drilled out brass fitting. For the OP...I suggest a visit to the hardware store with your feather handle in hand. You may just find a nice heavy weight brass fitting or two that will serve as a stand no drilling needed. Or a visit to a local "nuts and bolts" store might yield a stainless steel option.

Anyone know where we can get the feather stand? I have the razor

Feather does not sell the stands alone. They custom bore each stand to fit the specific razor it's to be sold with. What that really says is they don't have very good control over their knurling process and have spec'd an unreasonable tolerance for the fit between the razor and stand in light of their knurling.

Speedwaymotors.com
Part Number 91021910

Love it! Item's you would never think of :D

Feather does not sell the stands alone. They custom bore each stand to fit the specific razor it's to be sold with. What that really says is they don't have very good control over their knurling process and have spec'd an unreasonable tolerance for the fit between the razor and stand in light of their knurling.
"...Don't have very good control of their knurling process...have spec'd an unreasonable tolerance...."

Where on earth are you getting your source of information from? I've never heard of Feather's "poor" quality control issues.

"...Don't have very good control of their knurling process...have spec'd an unreasonable tolerance...."

Where on earth are you getting your source of information from? I've never heard of Feather's "poor" quality control issues.

From Feather themselves and from having experience with spec'ing machining. I talked to Feather and they said that they have to custom bore each stand to match each razor handle. Boring is extremely precise and unbelievably unlikely to be the source of precision challenges on the scale you'd need for a razor. Turning the OD of a shaft is also extremely precise and unbelievably unlikely to be the source of precision challenges on the scale you'd need for a razor. Knurling, on the other hand, does have some fudge factor in it and, unless you're running a bunch of iterations to normalize your variance, requires slightly looser tolerance of fit to ensure that variations in the final OD after knurling don't result in an interference fit. The logical conclusion is either that Feather has pretty loose tolerances on their knurling operation (or possibly the media prep for plating operation that follows it) or they're spec'in an unreasonably tight tolerance of fit on the handle into the base.

We can actually work out which it is from owner reports. If anyone has a handle that rocks even the tiniest amount in the base, that says they're not chasing a super precise fit and the knurling is the problem. If, however, all the owners report that the fit is so tight that the razor can't rock back and forth even a hair's breadth and they just about have to shake the base off the handle to pick it up, then we know that Feather is targeting an absurdly close fit between the handle and base. In either case, the normal solution is to open up the bore a few thousandths over the largest OD after knurling the company has ever measured and then sell all of us bases because they're all going to fit no matter what. It'll still feel like a good fit to the end users and they'll be able to increase profits by selling bases to people who didn't initially buy them as well as increasing efficiency in the machining process.

Last edited:
From Feather themselves and from having experience with spec'ing machining. I talked to Feather and they said that they have to custom bore each stand to match each razor handle. Boring is extremely precise and unbelievably unlikely to be the source of precision challenges on the scale you'd need for a razor. Turning the OD of a shaft is also extremely precise and unbelievably unlikely to be the source of precision challenges on the scale you'd need for a razor. Knurling, on the other hand, does have some fudge factor in it and, unless you're running a bunch of iterations to normalize your variance, requires slightly looser tolerance of fit to ensure that variations in the final OD after knurling don't result in an interference fit. The logical conclusion is either that Feather has pretty loose tolerances on their knurling operation (or possibly the media prep for plating operation that follows it) or they're spec'in an unreasonably tight tolerance of fit on the handle into the base.

We can actually work out which it is from owner reports. If anyone has a handle that rocks even the tiniest amount in the base, that says they're not chasing a super precise fit and the knurling is the problem. If, however, all the owners report that the fit is so tight that the razor can't rock back and forth even a hair's breadth and they just about have to shake the base off the handle to pick it up, then we know that Feather is targeting an absurdly close fit between the handle and base. In either case, the normal solution is to open up the bore a few thousandths over the largest OD after knurling the company has ever measured and then sell all of us bases because they're all going to fit no matter what. It'll still feel like a good fit to the end users and they'll be able to increase profits by selling bases to people who didn't initially buy them as well as increasing efficiency in the machining process.

That's really interesting. My initial reaction would have been the same as the one you replied to, but then I have zero experience with the process. At the price Feather charges, I can see how they could actually custom machine each handle.

I read your reply twice. Without intentionally insulting you or anything, I must say that you're talking a whole lot of confusion here. I finished reading it and said to myself, "huh?" We are talking about drilling a hole into a piece of stainless steel, for a razor to sit in. Nothing more, nothing less. We are not talking about line-boring or electroplating (which I'm heavily involved with professionally, specifically with turbine engines). I have extensive experience with boring holes into various grades of stainless steel as well as hard chroming and nickel plating. When you talked to Feather (in Japan I presume), did they admit to you that they have some type of "quality control" issues to which they can't resolve the problem appropriately? I'm wondering now if they are sending out inferior razors and razor stands? Now you've got me really curious about Feather.

IWe are talking about drilling a hole into a piece of stainless steel, for a razor to sit in. Nothing more, nothing less.
Feather specifically used the word bore. They specifically said each base was custom bored to match the handle it was sold with because it was the only way to get the feel of fit they want between the handle and the base.

The AS-D2 is plated. It's stainless steel with a matte chrome plating on it. Between the knurling and the plating, they're doing something to clean the metal well enough to do a quality plating job on it. If the cleaning involved tumbling (rotary or vibratory) in media to set up for the matte finish, which is pretty common, it's not hard at all to change the OD on the knurling by a few thousandths of an inch due to knocking the tops off the knurling.

Top Bottom