What's new

Gentlemen's Knives? Anyone carry them?

Hello folks,

Like the rest of you I have a razor obsession. However, I think I might just like all things that are sharp.

Does anyone else have a knife fascination as well?

Check out this little gem that I have been eyeing up now for a while, I have a larger one made by the same company and simply love it.

http://www.theknifeconnection.net/l...fixed-blade-knife-w-desert-ironwood-handle-2/

What is the largest knife you can get away with carrying and folks won't look at you funny living in an urban setting?

Thanks for you thoughts!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
That's a gorgeous knife, but I refrain from carrying any fixed blade, sheathed knife in an urban setting unless for a particular purpose or in a particular place. These days, I just don't see carrying a blade that you cannot put in your pocket as proper, otherwise. Whether we like it or not, wearing a fixed blade knife in plain view in an urban setting as an accessory is not gentlemanly and has not been for some time. You might be able to get away with a small, sheathed folder, though.

Unless I am traveling on a plane or going somewhere else where it is prohibited, I carry this custom Spyderco Copilot:

$Copilot.jpg

It fits well in my pocket and does just about anything I need to do on a day to day basis. I have something larger in my car, in case I need more, and I can always bring something more when I know I'll need it. Even though it has a wonderful clip on the back, I do not see wearing even it on the outside unless I was in the middle of using it.

This is what I carry. A Kershaw 3/4 ton model. The blade is 2 3/4" long x 1 3/16" wide. Not too big but has just enough weight to it.

$knife 001.jpg

That's a gorgeous knife, but I refrain from carrying any fixed blade, sheathed knife in an urban setting unless for a particular purpose or in a particular place. These days, I just don't see carrying a blade that you cannot put in your pocket as proper, otherwise. Whether we like it or not, wearing a fixed blade knife in plain view in an urban setting as an accessory is not gentlemanly and has not been for some time. You might be able to get away with a small, sheathed folder, though.

Unless I am traveling on a plane or going somewhere else where it is prohibited, I carry this custom Spyderco Copilot:

View attachment 547999

It fits well in my pocket and does just about anything I need to do on a day to day basis. I have something larger in my car, in case I need more, and I can always bring something more when I know I'll need it. Even though it has a wonderful clip on the back, I do not see wearing even it on the outside unless I was in the middle of using it.

That is a beautiful knife BTW.

I also have a knife obsession - spend a lot of time on Blade Forums.

I carry a basic folding pocket knife every day. Usually an old Monarch Barlow.

I am amazed at how many times I use it. Clamshell packaging, boxes, shipping material and even food. It is a rare day I don't use it at least once.

When I am out in the woods or camping I will carry a larger knife - usually a Mora Companion.

I have a little knife that is shaped like a key that I keep with my office keys. Use it quite alot...very handy. I also have a pen that has a blade hidden inside the shaft. I call it "Mr Stabby".

I have carried some type of folding knife most of my life. In today's world carrying a large knife in most places is not socially acceptable and can cause unwanted attention. A few years back a co-worked was charged and convicted of having a concealed weapon. The knife was a fillet knife on the back seat of his car with the rest of his fishing gear. I will reframe from voicing my stronger opinions.

I'm a Surveyor. I routinely carry a 22" Collins machete, sharpened to a not quite razors edge on a 12" handcranked stonewheel, and edged with a Millbastard file.

Everyone thanks for the reply! I carry a ESEE Izula, case stockman, or a spyderco paramilitary 2 most days. I kinda just want something a little bit nicer so I can sit and gawk at it.

Does anyone else have a knife fascination as well?

Check out this little gem that I have been eyeing up now for a while, I have a larger one made by the same company and simply love it.

http://www.theknifeconnection.net/l...fixed-blade-knife-w-desert-ironwood-handle-2/

I own that same knife, but with green micarta scales. Great little knife, with emphasis on little! I carry it on my belt nights and weekends, no one has said anything or looked at me funny yet, but I live in suburbia / semi-rural area and a decent number of people around here seem to carry a utility knife or some other small knife. I would not feel comfortable carrying anything larger on my hip in this area, that would bring too much unwanted attention I think. I only wear my bigger fixed blade knives out in the yard or while camping.

It is legal to carry a fixed blade knife in Pennsylvania, with the exception of Philadelphia County. Check your local laws before going out and about with a knife on your hip.

View attachment 547999

That is one of the most beautiful knives I've seen in a long time, if they didn't cost so much I would definitely carry something like that.
I usually carry a 3-4 inch folder all over town with no issues, just clipped to the inside of my pocket, when I am dressed nicely I have a 1.5 inch chinamart folder that is all stainless steel. I always have a knife on me, I just feel it is part of being resourceful and prepared for anything that may come.

I usually wear a 4" Mora Allround in a custom leather sheath or a 4.5" Case fixed blade with stag scales nearly every day when I'm at home. My hometown is mostly rural with a little bit of urbanness, it's the south so carrying a 6" blade around town is normal. At school, I usually have a Benchmade 940 or 556 on me. My university is very loose on knives, they even list a pocket knife as a required tool for some of my classes. HA!

The BM940 is a great gentlemen's knife. It's light, sleek, and isn't tacticool black. The purple titanium spacer looks great between the green aluminum scales. Overall a excellent knife that disappears in your pocket and has a great blade shape and steel. Benchmade has by far the best warranty and customer service out there as well.

I love the gentleman's knives, but I find my leatherman too useful to leave at home. I am hesitant with not only our laws, but more so the interpretation by a LEO in regards to carrying a pocket knife actually IN a pocket. Some see this as concealed. Ridiculous, but not worth the hassle. I'm sure if I had a suit-wearing job I would reevaluate my thoughts on this!

I got a one Colorado River and Tool company fancy folder I carry some times but 90% of the time for Work or Church I carry a 2-3 inch stockman most made before 1970 and 3 made before WW2.

I too spend a lot of time on bladeforums, love knives for the gentleman's folder that is tough as nails grab a chris reeve sebenza. It's 400 but but Mr. Reeve will service that knife for a lifetime as long as you don't thumb flick it. William Henry also makes a fine gents folder as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom