What's new

4th week of wet shaving

I started wet shaving in mid January using really inexpensive shaving supplies. This was done to get a baseline feel for wet shaving with out spending a ton of money. I started with derby blades and a de razor purchased from Sally's beauty supply for about 13 dollars. The shave soap I chose was whatever was available in the supermarket. (van der Hagen). The brush was boars hair (not badger hair).

For the second two weeks :

I used a Muhle R89 (I think), shave cream from AoS along with pre-shave oil and post shave gel. I like the results. The one issue that I have is the Badger brush seems too soft compared to the Van der Hagen boar brush that I got from the supermarket. The badger brush flattens like a fan when I rub it against my face.

What have I learned so far?
1.) I like a stiffer brush.
2.) I enjoy soaps far more that creams
3.) the Pre-shave oil makes a difference.
4.) Although I like the post shave balm, I doesn't appear to do anymore than petroleum jelly.
5.) I like the Muhle razor far more the the cheap one from Sally's (but I am going back to use the same blade in each razor on consecutive days).

Two questions:
Any recommendations on a good brush that's is not too expensive?
Is it normal to loose hair from the brush every time you use it? both of my brushes to that.

Thanks in advance for you comments.
Lawrence

Last edited:
Looks like you are making some good progress after four weeks.

Shaving brush - For a good boar brush, you can always go with an Omega or Semogue brush. Both are relatively inexpensive at $10 to $25. I would post a thread seeking recommendations for a stiff brush in the Shaving Brushes sub-forum.

Shedding - Brushes shouldn't shed every time you use them. I've had a shedder before, and I contacted the manufacturer for a replacement.

This is right on point. Sound advice.

Shaving brush - For a good boar brush, you can always go with an Omega or Semogue brush. Both are relatively inexpensive at $10 to $25. I would post a thread seeking recommendations for a stiff brush in the Shaving Brushes sub-forum.

Shedding - Brushes shouldn't shed every time you use them. I've had a shedder before, and I contacted the manufacturer for a replacement.

+1

+2

Try a Frank's best badger brush. Angel soft, with just enough stiffness to whip up a good lather. If your brush is flattening out a lot, you might be putting too much pressure on it. Go easy, use a light pressure pushing with the brush while lathering. You will build a lather a LOT faster and save your brush.

3.) the Pre-shave oil makes a difference.
4.) Although I like the post shave balm, I doesn't appear to do anymore than petroleum jelly.

Two questions:
Is it normal to loose hair from the brush every time you use it? both of my brushes to that.

Thanks in advance for you comments.
Lawrence
Yes thats true Pre-Shave oil makes a difference, yesterday I decided to shave without the PreShave oil and I noticed a big difference. I think you can use them as an aftershave. I use the Proraso PreShave as an aftershave sometimes and it works.

Top Bottom