What's new

Anyone else track item usage?

I am an Excel junkie...but I've avoided using a spreadsheet to track my shaving. It just seems so un-Zen-like...I want to relax, get in the zone, and enjoy my shaves! :001_smile

I don't do my tracking in the middle of a shave. :straight:

I track after the moment of zen when I'm back in front of a PC. It might be later in the day or evening when I've had a chance to reflect on how the shave turned out, how the aftershave persisted, if I missed a spot, etc. I often make decisions on tomorrow's shave based on how today went.

I'm starting to think I should be looking for a career change to a data analyst type job. I like looking back over the information later and figuring out how long a soap or a cream lasted, how were my results while using pre shave oils, or noxzema, or nothing? Which razors or blades give me the most consistent results? Which give me the most weepers or irritation?

Just one of my nerdy hobbies I guess.

No one uses a mobile app to do this? This is disappointing to hear (I'm a software developer). There was an iOS app that I tried, but it's missing the mark so I'm writing my own.

At first I thought this would be good for a beginner like me to track different combos of soaps/blades and stuff like that. But it looks like you more experienced shavers do it as well.

No one uses a mobile app to do this? This is disappointing to hear (I'm a software developer). There was an iOS app that I tried, but it's missing the mark so I'm writing my own.

At first I thought this would be good for a beginner like me to track different combos of soaps/blades and stuff like that. But it looks like you more experienced shavers do it as well.

I'm an engineer. Data entry apps never seem to give me enough flexibility. Same reason I stopped using finance trackers like Quicken or Mint. There's always something I don't like, or something I want but isn't there, and I can never filter or arrange the data in all of the various ways I want to look at it. If I build my own spreadsheets I get exactly what I want, how I want it, just like my shaves...

I use Evernote because I'm mostly logging my shave log. I tag each entry and can then correlate and slice some data - at least as much as I need to. I'm also a software developer, but I've found most mobile apps are generally lacking in some respect and I do enough work without writing software for my shaves :)

Google Sheets for me. That way I can use my phone or my PC. I started it to keep track of my blade sampler, then soaps, then inventory, and now 3017.

I tracked soap usage a while ago to get a sense for how long each lasted before buying. But no more - I ended up accumulating way more soap than I need. So tracking usage has become moot.
It seemed that I was using 1-1½g per shave mostly independent of the soap/croap.

I also use an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of my purchases and another sheet to track how many shaves I get from the various soaps and creams in my rotation.

I use 'Shaving Buddy'

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rtsapps.shavingbuddy

I like it, but its not perfect.

I love exel and love tracking things. I have every shave tracked (Razor, Blade, Blade Use, Brush, Soap/Cream, Bowl/Mug/Face, Post Shave, AfterShave, and Note) as well as my entire inventory (date purchased/received, item, quantity/size, cost, where it was from, which country it was made in, # of uses, Qty per use, Cost per Use, where it went (used up, garbage, Piffed, etc), and any notes on it).

I have 575 shaves tracked so far.

I use dice to track the number of shaves on a blade - that's it. The rest is in my head and all I really care about is whether or not I like a product enough to keep it on hand and/or buy it again when I run out. Of course, I'm pretty new to this and not in danger of running out of anything yet, so I'm really not worried about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't really keep track of it on an Excel spreadsheet. I only use the blades 2-3 times depending on if I start getting nicks and such. Soaps I just rotate with what I feel like, but I am just getting in to experimenting with that. I am a pretty routine guy though. Once I get in a groove of things I really do not like to change much.

I don't really keep track of it on an Excel spreadsheet. I only use the blades 2-3 times depending on if I start getting nicks and such. Soaps I just rotate with what I feel like, but I am just getting in to experimenting with that. I am a pretty routine guy though. Once I get in a groove of things I really do not like to change much.
Geez...that's boring. You could at least record barometric pressure and relative humidity so you could track soap performance...and maybe experiment with using boar hair angle of droop as a weather predictor... :001_rolle

Wow...makes my spiral notebook look bad...Right now the only thing that I am keeping up with is the results and longevity of my blades as I am learning. I also make side notes on the soaps and creams I am trying.

I don't think I would keep up with what I spend as that was one of the first pieces of advice I received on this board "never let your wife know what you spend on shaving gear"....I do admire the ddedication though.

I just created a Google Sheets spreadsheet. Thought it sounded like a great idea. Sometimes I forgot how many days in I am on a blade. I also want to be more able to track how long my blades hold up.

As long I get a BBS I'm happy. I don't keep track of what I use. Sometimes I use a blade 4 times sometimes 7 and if I forget how many times I have been shaving with the blade I bin it and use a new one.

For the soaps I mainly use Proraso products only I do have a couple other soaps (samples) which I use often but in many cases I stick to one combination. Yes I'm a minimalist.

I use an office labeler. When I bring things in, I label when they were put on standby, and label them again when they go in rotation. I used to do similar things when I stocked ahead of time on deodorant or Barbasol, which tended to last 3 months and 2 years respectively. I do not get so granular as to precisely know how many uses each product had.

Wow, i totally don't bother tracking anything, other than how many times ive used a DE blade (even that i jsut track mentally, not in a spreadsheet). I just wouldn't have the time, although i can see the benefits!

I have one razor, one soap & brush that I use every day. Keep track of blade use with a dice (die?)

Very minimal cuz I'm old & can't even remember what I had for dinner tonite. :blink:

Top Bottom