What's new

What does it mean when any DE razor gives you the same results?

Well I have enjoyed my DE shaving journey so far. I started mid September of last year experimenting with DE shaving. I found B&B in October and joined. I began my DE shaving with a gift Red Tip and a purchased Slim. I then found a Tech razor and that one was the razor I learned how to shave and honed my Technique with. Many razors followed over the next few months. I started getting BBS shaves at about three weeks, and they came and went untill I figured out the prep routine that works for me. From early November on I have gotten daily BBS shaves. The early ones took three passes but very quickly it became a two pass with a bit of TOUCHUP in order to get there.

At at first I could only get BBS with a Tech, then a NDC SS started working as well, then the Red Tip, Aristocrat, Black Handle SS, then every razor I own. And I just purchased a second Lady Gillette Starburst and decided it was time to try one myself. And that is what I did tonight and it gave the same two pass BBS shave.

i used to only be able to get BBS with Feather Blades, and now, any blade I put in any razor gives the same result.
It is almost boring now since every razor with any blade I wish to use gives the same results.
Is there something wrong with me?
does anyone else experience something like this?

i own every version of SS that Gillette ever produced, some multiples of each tip color, era, and head design. I also have one or more of the various types of Tech Razors made over the years, I have two Slims, two Starburst Lady Gillette razors, one single ring Old Type, a Knack, and a couple of Gem SE razors. I also have The following blades; Feather, PolSilver SI, Astra SP, Gillette Silver Blue, Voskhod, Derby, Personna Red (Israeli), Personna Med Prep, and a few others.

And I can pick up any razor and load it with any blade and do my standard routine and get a two pass BBS shave.
the only difference I can find is that some razors are milder on my face than others, meaning my after shaving splash burns a bit more with some razor/blade combinations. But it's not a significant difference.

I am just curious because so many people here seem to indicate that various razors shave vastly differently for them.
I for some reason am not experiencing that with different razors or different blades.
I thought that I was earlier in my journey, but now I am beginning to think that the difference was in my technique rather than the razor or the blade.

So what do some of you veteran shavers think?
Am I crazy??

Imo, it means your technique is getting really good. I think a lot of people get to the point where they can shave with just about any combo, once they get close to perfecting their shave routine and technique.

Im the same way, every razor I ever used was easy for me, I load a blade in them, then shave, once Im smooth Im done. I never had any problems with any technique or anything, it was a pretty simple experience for me, really not much different than how I shaved before with bic disposables. I think some people have the right skin type too, where it is not that sensitive at all so using most razors does not bother them. My skin is fairly sensitive but not real bad, some razors I do find shave smoother, but any razor out there I can get a smooth bbs shave from. For me theres just not a whole lot to it, just pick up a razor and shave!

Imo, it means your technique is getting really good. I think a lot of people get to the point where they can shave with just about any combo, once they get close to perfecting their shave routine and technique.

+1. I think a key point here is that while many of us say that each razor shaves very differently (I am a firm believer of this fact :lol:), if your technique is truly excellent, the final result should be very similar. I won't say "exactly" similar, but still, extremely similar. What's different is the path (and the experience) to get to that final result.

I am too new to tell but I am very curious about this subject myself as I see alot of comments about "blades work only in certain razors" or "certain blades work better in "xxx" razor". See some reference to Feather AS-D2/Feather blades for example. I think ikon standard/??? blade (cant remember exactly now which blade) as well as others razors. Maybe 38C or 34C or DE89 or some slants.

This will be a thread for me to watch so when I get another razor, I will know which blade works best in it!

Whew! Glad to hear this! I was a bit worried for a little while thinking there must be something wrong with me. :thumbup:
Well I don't yet think my technique is perfect but I do strive for consistency in every step. I am a bit compulsive, my wife says crazy, about doing routine things and chores the same way every time. I guess I still have not completely got over thinking of shaving as a chore. Although I really enjoy shaving now for the first time since I first started shaving as a teen.

Thanks for the imput, it makes me feel a bit better now.

+1. I think a key point here is that while many of us say that each razor shaves very differently (I am a firm believer of this fact :lol:), if your technique is truly excellent, the final result should be very similar. I won't say "exactly" similar, but still, extremely similar. What's different is the path (and the experience) to get to that final result.

I agree, the razors do have some differences in how they shave, and each razor takes a slightly different angle to get the best performance. And each of the blades have minor differences as well. But to me it has been pretty easy to get it to this point. I feel for those fellows who haven't had it as easy.

I have to agree that your technique must be very good. I feel that all razors shave differently but yield very similar end results and some are just more enjoyable to use

mswofford

Rest in Peace
I have to agree that your technique must be very good. I feel that all razors shave differently but yield very similar end results and some are just more enjoyable to use
Once you get used to the shave characteristics of each of your razor/blade combos you do get a similar (but not the same) result with any razor you pick up. It's great fun to arrive at that point even though we're all still learning when we get something new.

I get good results with all of my razors also, but I have to pay closer attention with the more aggressive razors when doing my chin area.

Dan

I only use OC's. At first I had some issues with the seven different ones/types I own. Last year I noticed I was getting good shave from each one. The answer as posted above in several posts is technique and practice. From my R41 to my Matador I get good results. However, with the R41 I use a lighter touch and vary the angle. As I look at my razors I find the Fatip is the go to razor most of the week.

I've started to wonder about this too, as I came off about two weeks of shaving with my new ATT Atlas S2 slant, which was giving me nice close shaves with no irritation and barely any weepers, and more than that, it was the first time I was getting my neck nice and smooth with no red blotches afterward. Amazing. And I'm sure the S2 design did have much to do with this.

But...

Because I wanted to finally try the much-loved DE89/R89 head, I finally unboxed my Mühle R106 and have used it for the last four shaves. And... pretty similar results to the S2, including a smooth, irritation-free neck! This morning went especially well, with zero weepers and no irritation. So while I still like my S2, I have to think my technique has taken a leap forward (I know I'm now using a lighter, more confident touch), so the choice of razor may not be the big factor it was.

Fascinating.

OP,
You're not alone, and you're not crazy. Had I realized this sooner, I'd have just crawled down in my hole with my 34C and been content. I could have saved the money I spent on A.T.T. hardware. Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of love for A.T.T., but at the end of the shave it's the results that matter. I could argue that the A.T.T. will more than likely outlast me and the 34C, but at some point it's more about using the tool in hand well. Your journey as well as others around here proves that. That said, it's still a hell of a ride getting to that point, isn't it?

A lot of newbies getting into DE shaving could save a lot of coin if they would just slow down, use what they have, and master their technique first. I'm guilty as anyone, spending on this that and the other thing, when what I needed to do was slow down, let the razor I had do the work, pay attention, and work on my technique.

This topic should qualify as a sticky - up top for new members to read and heed!

Top Bottom