What's new

Which Parker did I pick?

I hit my normal route of antique shops today but I wasn't looking for razors this time, first time in a lonnnngggg time, I was looking for pens. I saw a few wearevers and cheapos but walking into the most crowded and clustered shop I saw this gem sitting on the counter with no price.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423441250.704060.jpg

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423441367.268844.jpg

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423441409.807330.jpg

Sorry for the bad pictures, iPhone quickies.

So I know this is a Vacumatic pen, but I don't know which model it is since I'm still a noob. I know I paid a good price for it no matter what since I asked the guy how much he wanted he said, where did you find this? I said on the counter right there, he said a Parker fountain pen, how about $10, I said sold!

Thanks for the help gentlemen!

Nice! That's what I thought/was hoping it was. I'm stoked!

Also, what is the best way to clean this thing, just pushing the button until my finger falls off?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
May likely need a diaphragm. Does it suck water from a glass and spit it back out? If it can't or won't hold 8-10 drops after 10 submerged strokes it may need one.

Also, there should be a date code -- it looks like maybe a '46-'48 to me but I'm not the "51" guy.

No, it is still slightly inky. I have a bottle of Quink black and a bottle of noodlers air corp blue-black. I'm letting it soak a bit more but I've plunged and plunged and it's still coming out slightly inky. Not sure what else I can do besides let it soak and plunge, let it soak and plunge....

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Not sure what else I can do besides let it soak and plunge, let it soak and plunge....

That's how it's done. There's no moisture back by the plunger? Just sayin' since usually they need a rubber diaphragm when found in the wild like that.

You scored! Date code will be a single digit (small) with some dots.

There is the "slightest" bit of moisture on the plunger but that could just be coming out since I've been soaking it so I will have to wait

Ok, I got it all cleaned up, inked it and it writes smooth as butter, but I noticed that if I shake it a bit ink drops out. I mean it was noticeable enough to me, is that a sign of a bad sac?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Yeah, that's not a good sign. You can try blowing into the plunger area and see if a drop comes out the nib, that will show a small tear.

How hard were you shaking it?

Says to hold the plunger down and dip it into the ink then pull it out of the ink and release the plunger. It will take in ink from the collector.

Never mind again, I did the ink drop test and only get like 3-4 drops so it's no good. Anyone know a good restoration person that won't break the bank?

Danny fixed your pen's brother for me last year. I paid $25 more for mine. That is, my wife paid $25 bucks more than you did. I sent it out to Danny and got a great pen back.

Congrats on a great find!

Top Bottom