What's new

Should I give this a try?

Hi Gentlemen,

I'm a DE shaver and razor collector. Last summer I found this straight in an antique store for $10 so I grabbed it to display in the den.The more I look at it the more I feel I should give it a try. I've read some posts about the same razor and it sounds like they are pretty good and can be reused.

Is this one worth trying out?

If so what do I need to do to get it ready?

$2015-02-08 16.03.36.jpg$2015-02-08 16.04.10.jpg$2015-02-08 16.05.01.jpg

Cheers

Whoever owned that imo loved it a lot.(this said in an honest manner) the wear looks ok IMO and should imo shave well.have fun :)

Sure thing :) the stabilizer on the heel is going to cause future honing issues so I'd remove a bit of it but (not to much) :)

It sounds to me like you'd just have to send it to someone to be honed. I have yet to find any used razor shave ready so the odds of it being ready to go are slim.

There are a lot of guys here that do that kind of work and are quite good at it.

If you want to tackle it yourself then you'll need some stones or lapping film to sharpen it with and a lot of patience. It takes quite a bit of practice to be able to get a good shaving edge.

If someone else sharpens it for you then you'll need some kind of a strop before your second shave, but you can even get by with folded newspaper for the time being until you know if you want to use it more often or not. If you're sharpening it yourself then you might as well get a strop right from the start.

Last edited:
Sorry, no contact list that I know of.

If you hang out in the honing forum you might get someone to volunteer to do it for you if you pay postage both ways. You'll find honing PIF's as well. I've also seen guys do it for people in exchange for becoming a contributor. You might want to place an add asking where you can get something honed. These guys are very talented at this and despite how easy it might seem it's not. The materials needed to do this at that level are very costly as well.

If you're going to get into straight shaving I'd suggest you pick up another inexpensive razor as well. Maybe a Gold Dollar from Buca of a Sight Unseen Vintage razor from Larry at Whipped Dog. Both are very inexpensive options and will come truly shave ready. If you're buying one from them maybe they can help you out as you could send them this one to be sharpened and have them send it back with the one you buy. You'd have to look into it.

I'd suggest Larry or Buca off the top of my head but there are many others very skilled here as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom