What's new

Question for the SE afficionados?

Ok, after about 1500 DE shaves, I finally tried an SE...had the day off, took my time, got a good DFS, deliberately didn't even try for BBS....

Managed to accomplish that without a single nick...so I guess I get a crackerjack prize...but my question is...

What's the advantage of this over DE? Is there any? What am I missing? Or, is it just the allure of being an odd minority out of an already small minority? The appeal of just being different?

Obviously, my technique must have been atrocious...I get that...but iI don't get how I could invest the time to learn a new technique and the end result would probably be no better than a DE? Or, is it actually possible to get a better shave with one of these?

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a really nice Schick SE that I sold to a member. No matter what angle I used it tore me to shreds. Took months to heal my neck, but it is scarred. They are EFFICIENT for sure. I like the style of the DE better and it doesn't butcher this pretty face =)

What SE razor and blade combo did you use. How was your angle? did you ATG?

SE's work Magic ATG. The CVS brand are IMO not nearly as good as the Coated GEM brand.

Last edited:
I find it easier to get a BBS with my SE (Damaskeene, and GEM Jr.).

Trying watching a video on the SE, the angle is different than that of the DE's.

The injectors are very good, IMHO the DE and SE look better, but the injector blades last the longest.

I think the injector would be the easiest to learn, they are similar in profile to a cartridge (sorry about that), you just have to remember to use no pressure.

I have a few SEs and a few DEs. I mainly use shavettes and do touch ups with the other razors. I like the chance to try different things so I switch it up every couple of days.

I think I would be bored if all my shaves were with the same razor or same blade.

What SE razor and blade combo did you use. How was your angle? did you ATG?

SE's work Magic ATG. The CVS brand are IMO not nearly as good as the Coated GEM brand.

Razor was a GEM 1912, I think, and Treet blades, (Super, it says on the blue box,) the first merely because it looks cool and the second because, well, what else is there?

I generally don't go ATG even with DE, and I sure wasn't about to even attempt it the first time with SE. Yes, hitting the sweet angle is the part that is very different. I started out with the head of the razor almost flat against the skin I was trying to shave, and tilted it gently, oh, maybe 10 degrees or so? This sure did seem to give me plenty of feedback.

Shaving the neck areas did seem to be one advantage of this design.

Except for injectors, I have not found SE to be better than DE and often worse and harsher. I think for those who need more aggressive shavers it may deliver something "vaguely" (waving hands here) akin to a straight. I keep a collection of SEs because I find them attractive, but haven't found a single one that I would prefer to my three or four best DE razors. And I find the lack of blade choices annoying and uninspiring.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I get a better shave with an SE...usually use a Damaskeene or a Gem Jr., or an E3 or G1 Schick. I haven't used a DE in 2-3 years except for a few times just to use one. I started shaving with a '40s style Gillette of my dad's when I first started shaving.

Ya may just need a bit more practice.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Compared to my DE razors, I really like using the Ever Ready Streamline with it's weight and heavily applied chrome plating; It is a unique and very pleasureable shaving experience.

I started my SE shaves with the Blue Star blades, which for me were not the best.

The PFTE blades I purchased from Connaught were much better.

YMMV but I consistently get much closer shaves with SE razors, to the point I wonder how the DE razors ever dominated the market. I'm no expert, however I would guess that you likely did not quite find the angle required for the razor you were using?? As Pepin suggested I would find an online video to demonstrate the correct angle for the razor you are using. I still use DEs but SEs are my favorite, by a mile.jc

I get great shaves with a SE and occasionally use one for a full 3 pass save but more often then not I use one for the first pass only and clean up then with a DE. I have a very dense & tough beard that just chews up DE blades. By using a SE with its thicker blade I get more life out of both blades so SE’s work for me. Also a Gem OC Micromatic is just fantastic working into my goatee. A good OC DE like a Gillette Senator will do the trick but a SE allows for a little bit more control. IMHO.

I discovered SE's last summer and since then have used them exclusively.

I find the shave to be superior to DE's in just about every aspect: closer, smoother, less irritation, and once the technique is mastered, easier to use.

Generally speaking, SE's are less expensive than DE's. A sizable collection can be assembled for very little money.

I find SE's overall to be better made than DE's. None of my SE's have "the usual hairline cracks in the handle."

What's the advantage of this over DE? Is there any? What am I missing? Or, is it just the allure of being an odd minority out of an already small minority? The appeal of just being different?

Well, there's that, too. :thumbup1:

--Bob

Mongoose, Cobra, Schick injectors all gave me a NICE shave. Gems, Ever Ready, Stars, Superior all give me GREAT shaves. They are just more efficient for me.

I think it's a case of YMMV. Personally, I have now hit the point where I use mostly DE razors (especially since getting an ATT S2), and the only SE razors I use are Schick Injectors. When I am in a hurry, I pull out a Schick Type G, which I consider "shaving for dummies." The head angles are completely instinctive for me, and I always get a fast, smooth and close shave without any cuts --- without paying close attention to what I am doing. I'm planning on selling my other SE razors one of these days...

Everyone seems to have a different experience with DE/SE shaving. I have and use three types of razor;

my Standard Razor DE gives me a very close, comfortable, consistent DFS without much thought or finagling;

my Schick R-3 Injector gives me a close, comfortable DFS but requires that I be alert to what I'm doing to prevent nicks or weepers and is not as consistent as my DE (probably due to my technique);

my Trac II gives me a DFS and is very consistent but again, requires no thought or finagling, truly a shaver for dummies.

The cost per shave is about equal across all three types based on the number of shaves I get from each. Most important, there is no Zamak in any of them.

Quality shaves, like with any razor come with acquired technique, make sure that you are using a quality SE blade that is designed for shaving, and not one that is for scrapping the sticker on your windshield (AKA scrapper blades) Treet makes both.

Razor was a GEM 1912, I think, and Treet blades, (Super, it says on the blue box,) the first merely because it looks cool and the second because, well, what else is there?

I generally don't go ATG even with DE, and I sure wasn't about to even attempt it the first time with SE. Yes, hitting the sweet angle is the part that is very different. I started out with the head of the razor almost flat against the skin I was trying to shave, and tilted it gently, oh, maybe 10 degrees or so? This sure did seem to give me plenty of feedback.

Shaving the neck areas did seem to be one advantage of this design.

Reading down to here on this blog, it looks like it's roughly 50/50 regarding SE or DE shaving.

It's like asking do you prefer a Ford or a Chevrolet? Both are fine, and both have their strong devotee's. There is no one-size-fits-all definitive answer.

Blade life and comfort.

My daily use razor is a Schick Type N1 Injector with Schick Plus Platinum blades (when available) or Chinese Schick blades when there not. I get 14 days average from the Chicks and almost two months from the SPPs. But that is really a secondary reason, the biggest reason is comfort; DEs tug and "chatter" on my neck, this "chattering" results in cuts if I'm not extremely careful. Injectors with their thick blades held extremely tightly just slice right through all the hair on my neck with no tugging or chatter.

In fact theres a commercial where they demonstrate the "shimmy" of a DE and Band razor compared to an Injector that demonstrates this perfectly IMHO. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B59ho0c2P0

I use both, don't really notice a difference. The SE with a carbon blade shaves great the first time only. The blade will start to rust once wet and not yeild a smooth shave the second time (imo). I've been told the coated or stainless SE blades are great and last 2 or 3 times longer than a DE blade.

Top Bottom