What's new

Pimps vs. Gentlemen

I told my 18 year old son today that I'v never wanted to be a pimp or a gangsta or have swagger...but I've always strived to be a Gentleman!

The way you conduct yourself is the way you get treated. If you look & act like a Gentleman people (generally) will treat you accordingly. If you look and act like a thug, people will treat you that way until you prove yourself otherwise.

Pimps, hustlers & gangsta's are a dime for ten dozen...Gentlemen are a dying breed.

Cheers Gentlemen! :a54:

What is a "pimp" or a "gangsta" or a "swagger"?? (an alcoholic?)

Many early 20th century gangsters look more like gentlemen than the gentlemen of today, btw.

I agree. Hope he listens to his old man.

I told my 18 year old son today that I'v never wanted to be a pimp or a gangsta or have swagger...but I've always strived to be a Gentleman!

The way you conduct yourself is the way you get treated. If you look & act like a Gentleman people (generally) will treat you accordingly. If you look and act like a thug, people will treat you that way until you prove yourself otherwise.

Pimps, hustlers & gangsta's are a dime for ten dozen...Gentlemen are a dying breed.

I agree with the OP. It is more a matter of how you carry yourself. My mum and dad came from the poorest of upbringings. You remember those old Life or Time magazines with the black and white photos of depression era people looking pretty distressed in front of old farm houses with no paint? Well that was their story.

She never let this keep her from being clean and making the effort to at least wear dresses or skirts after 6:00PM. And some sort of arm covering as well. We are talking 1950s by now. When she and dad were dating. The point was, circumstance or pop culture was unacceptable as an excuse for boorish behaviour. Dad was the same way. If you didn't have a decent collared shirt to wear or non-denim trousers you borrowed them from a brother or friend. No traipsing around town with your girl whilst looking like a hooligan. He always told me if you took even a passing interest in looking decent and acting like you have some sense people will treat you better. By most measures this has proven to be truth.

Post of the week!

Great Advice...I might also add the respect you give to others is a direct reflection on yourself. Both are words of wisdom I believe.

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Being a gentleman has absolutely nothing to do with how you look.

Dressing a certain way does not turn one into a gentleman, just like putting "brick wall" plastic siding on plywood doesn't turn it into a brick wall. But a gentleman will realise that the outward appearance he chooses to adopt (grooming, body language, attire, &c) is all part of his contribution to the overall public spirit of whatever place he happens to be, and he strives to find that wonderful "sweet spot" where he puts those around him at their ease and also manages to "raise the bar" and improve the overall public spirit.

I agree with the OP. It is more a matter of how you carry yourself. My mum and dad came from the poorest of upbringings. You remember those old Life or Time magazines with the black and white photos of depression era people looking pretty distressed in front of old farm houses with no paint? Well that was their story.

She never let this keep her from being clean and making the effort to at least wear dresses or skirts after 6:00PM. And some sort of arm covering as well. We are talking 1950s by now. When she and dad were dating. The point was, circumstance or pop culture was unacceptable as an excuse for boorish behaviour. Dad was the same way. If you didn't have a decent collared shirt to wear or non-denim trousers you borrowed them from a brother or friend. No traipsing around town with your girl whilst looking like a hooligan. He always told me if you took even a passing interest in looking decent and acting like you have some sense people will treat you better. By most measures this has proven to be truth.

My Father expected a certain level of behaviour from his kids, especially his sons. You treated women a certain way, you took your hat off indoors, and you presented yourself in a manner that reflected your upbringing. How you acted was a reflection him as a Father and both my parents in general for how they raised us. My wife would sometimes complain to me that I was "just like my Father". In the beginning of relationship, it rankled. But I soon came to realize that I should take it as a compliment, and I do.

Dressing a certain way does not turn one into a gentleman, just like putting "brick wall" plastic siding on plywood doesn't turn it into a brick wall. But a gentleman will realise that the outward appearance he chooses to adopt (grooming, body language, attire, &c) is all part of his contribution to the overall public spirit of whatever place he happens to be, and he strives to find that wonderful "sweet spot" where he puts those around him at their ease and also manages to "raise the bar" and improve the overall public spirit.

A Gentleman exudes a certain confidence and bravura about him that is easy for others to recognize. In another time he would be referred to as a "man's man". This extends to appearance, grooming, and carriage. Example: I learned to tie a bow tie for my nephew's wedding last summer simply because I wanted to wear a bow tie with my suit, and thought that the kind you buy from the tux rental places was a cop out. So I learned, found a small tie maker locally who would produce one in the colour I desired, and off I went. People were somewhat amused by the notion throughout the day, but impressed by the authenticity upon discussion. And I got to look "cool" with my royal orange bow tie hanging loose after the dessert able opened at the reception

Long story short . . . a "pimp" is something other people call you. A "Gentleman" is something you are.

Last edited:

I don't disagree with that, I just don't think it's a prerequisite for being a gentleman. I don't think a homeless person who acts in a gentlemanly way, and can't afford "gentlemanly" clothing, is any different than a person who feels like they have to dress or groom themselves a certain way because they want others to see them like that, or that they feel like they have to impress people with their dress/grooming habits to even be considered a gentleman. Being a gentleman is in the mind, not the wallet, and as such doesn't have a monetary value to me.

A Gentleman exudes a certain confidence and bravura about him that is easy for others to recognize. In another time he would be referred to as a "man's man". This extends to appearance, grooming, and carriage.

You mean "swagger"?

The "pimp" stuff is just hyperbole. "Gangsta" is code, and "huster" is a magazine.

A Gentleman ..... This extends to appearance, grooming, and carriage.

I, respectfully, disagree. Whether one is a gentleman has little to do with appearance or grooming. I am from rural East Tennessee and have known several people who based on that would be considered ungentlemanly. If one treats others with respect, is honest in their dealings, and takes care of their family - then they are gentlemanly.

You mean "swagger"?

For me, "swagger" implies a certain level of braggadocio, which I would consider ungentlemanly. I meant to convey that gentleman has a certain sense of "self" that does not require any effort on his part to be recognized by others. This is also where the follow-on comments regarding clothing come into play. It was certainly not meant to imply that a person who wears jeans and t-shirts most days (as I do) cannot be a gentleman. Rather, it was meant to imply that his sense of self allows his nature to show DESPITE any preconceived notions his apparel may foster.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I don't disagree with that, I just don't think it's a prerequisite for being a gentleman. I don't think a homeless person who acts in a gentlemanly way, and can't afford "gentlemanly" clothing, is any different than a person who feels like they have to dress or groom themselves a certain way because they want others to see them like that, or that they feel like they have to impress people with their dress/grooming habits to even be considered a gentleman. Being a gentleman is in the mind, not the wallet, and as such doesn't have a monetary value to me.

Let each gentleman exude his gentlemanliness as befits his means ... there is no monetary minimum "cost of entry" to the "club". And it's not a "prerequisite" ... it's what you do out of second-nature once you have attained gentlemanliness, just as much as holding doors for ladies and for chaps with their arms full.

And it's not about "always wearing a suit" or whatever some people like to think ... but think more about "if you are a gentleman plumber, you make sure you don't have a crack".

$00c69eb.jpg

Let each gentleman exude his gentlemanliness as befits his means ... there is no monetary minimum "cost of entry" to the "club". And it's not a "prerequisite" ... it's what you do out of second-nature once you have attained gentlemanliness, just as much as holding doors for ladies and for chaps with their arms full.

And it's not about "always wearing a suit" or whatever some people like to think ... but think more about "if you are a gentleman plumber, you make sure you don't have a crack".

I agree with try to "do the best with what you have" available. I also think the plumber should help the little old lady across the street, crack or no crack, without having to think about if he's being judged or not.

Top Bottom