What's new

The Barbershop of Horrors - and how to heal the face?

Gentlemen,

To be honest, I’m really very angry and deeply disappointed.

I thought after a few weeks of acceptable shaves with my Merkur HD and C&E soap I might try something a bit different and see if any local barbers still offer straight razor shaves. My aim is eventually to move into st8 razors a bit down the track so I thought I would go and get a professional shave to see how good it can be.

Well, to my surprise in my rural medium sized town, I found a barber who offered str8 shaves.

Let me relay to you my experience I’ve just had with my local barber.

In a friendly way I asked him if he did these shaves regularly. After he assured me he does them all the time, I shelled out the $12 and got ready for an experience.

He re-emerged carrying a scuttle and synthetic brush. ‘Fair enough’ I thought. Then it happened. I should have reconsidered at this point; It struck my eyes white hot like a fresh iron from the fire; Gillette canned goo was to be the ‘lather’ for this shave.

I reconsidered my first reaction of actual fear and thought that surely, with correct technique, the shave will be fine.

Perhaps it was the fact that he never massaged the lather onto my dry face at all (in fact, he more or less painted it on 21st Century Boy style but with fewer strokes; see http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=XM5bL69mqok), perhaps it was the fact that he applied no hot towel before the shave, perhaps it was the fact the razor was not stropped while I was there and probably hadn’t been stropped or honed for a good while, or perhaps it was the barber’s technique (or lack there of) cringing as he cut carelessly and cruelly, but the sheer amount of blood letting and dark red razor burn made me rethink ever shaving again. Ever.

Before the shave (and after) my face was dry and cold and in desperate need of hydration or really any sort of prep. Anything would have been better than nothing. The brush was mostly a waste of time as it was used to just dab and drizzle the pale green ‘lather’ around my face and neck with the odd drop of water escaping onto my shirt.

To say that my skin was irritated and felt cut to shreds wouldn’t be an overstatement, if only just. The long lines of scarlet billow running down my face and the red strawberry fields under my neck had me longing like mad for a good soothing aftershave balm. Oh how I desired so deeply for my Zirh Soothe, or even some Nivia Extra Soothing. Like the desert misses the rain, I longed for these. And a time machine.

He offered me some Tabac aftershave. It was alcohol based, but I really didn’t care. I just needed something – anything – on my skin. Perhaps water would have been best under the circumstances or if I was thinking clearly I would have declined the offer and picked up some Nivia Extra Soothing Aftershave Balm on the way back to the office. He applied a healthy dose, not to much. The smell was quite nice (I must point out the positives in a train wreck) and it only stung a little for a little while and the field of red that covered all area beneath my jaw dissipated. But worst luck, there were four or five nicks, one absolute Freddy-Kruger in particular, which continued to weep. Out came the liquid styptic and on came the pain!

While the smaller cuts singed, stung and stopped running red, my Reddy-Freddy cut continued to weep fourth undeterred by the holy-water-on-Dracula burn of the styptic until some cold dry dusty winter wind on the trudge back to the office dried the scarlet enough leaving behind a wonderful flaky thumbnail sized red-black spot.

There was so much to be criticised and only a couple of positives, two of them being that it was close to BBS and that I am comfortable that now, at the age of 23, I have my worst shaving experience behind me. It wont get any worse than that.

After the ‘shave’ he then applied a piping hot towel to my face telling me that this was the ‘best part of the shave’. Yes you read correctly. After the shave he gave me the hot towel. I’m not getting the order wrong – he did. After the hot towel, he gave me a cold towel which was welcome considering the life dripping from my lip, chin and neck. I was astounded that the towel wasn’t put on before – this is back to school stuff.

Afterwards, I spoke to him giving him an appraisal of some his method. I asked about the order of doing the hot towel after instead of before the shave and queried how wise it was to use pressurised shave foam instead of spending 30 seconds to whip up a lather from a good shave soap. Unfortunately, he told me that he ‘wasn’t sure where I was getting my info from, but’ he’s ‘taught at tech (college) and it sounds like something from the 50s’ that’s ‘out of date’. He also told me, bafflingly, that the reason I had so many cuts and redness was that my ‘whiskers were too soft’ and ‘not used to a real blade’ and that ‘after a few years, the face adjusts’. So soft whiskers are hard to cut and you should do a hot towel after the shave. Are we all getting this?

Despite my attempting to have a good conversation about shaving with him, he was convinced I had nothing meaningful to say about any of his methods or products.

I’m frankly really disappointed, and some 10 hours after the event, my face is still so sore and my deep cut is still weeping since I’ve come home out of the cold.

Now I come to you, the truly wise and informed, seeking now what I desperately need. How do I recover from this butchering? I considered not shaving again for about four days and applying Zirth Sooth or Nivia Extra Soothing Aftershave Balm on every morning and night and cleansing my face with Nivia Extra Soothing Facial Cleanser twice daily before applying the balm (a nice gentle non-soap cleanser). What are my options? Are there any routines I could follow to help me? Is it worth putting an actual band-aid over my deep throat cut? How on Earth am I going to undo all this damage when I run a DE razor with Derby’s over it every day?

This forum has seen me change a corner in the way I think about shaving and opened the door to the possibility of a healing of my neck and chin area and irritation free shaves. Oh how, with a few flings of fate’s fickle blade, all the hard work, concentration and preparation exited via the window. My neck is worse than ever. I come before you with open hands and nothing to offer but a broken humble spirit. Please help.

Thanks for your time just the same,

Chris (Big-Bad-Razor) Byrnes

Time off from shaving .
I wouldnt use any cleansers while you are healing but use warm water in the shower on your face and when you get out, apply aloe gel all over.
Neosporin on the deep cut.

Ouch ive never been shaved by anyone else but for one using goo from a can is ridiculous. Ive been shaving with a straight for like a week and a half and havent got exactly tough whiskers and the only reason ive ever been cut is if i move the blade sideways or once nicked my ear. TBH if the cut is as bad as it sounds i would of asked for my money back. But as far as healing when i cut myself i carried on shaving and just made sure i kept them clean. I probably slowed the healing as i sometimes re-opened them, but the cuts from my first shaves have all healed up pretty nice. But i geuss if it is really bad it would be wise leave it a day or two and see how the irritation goes down.
Sorry to hear about your bad experience.

Swiftsteel

Sorry things didn't go to plan. I'm afraid that I have no useful advice other than give your face and neck time to heal. And learn when to walk out; whether it's a barber, restaurant, movie, tailor, hotel etc. (Moving vehicles are generally a good exception to this rule.)

Cheers and happy healing

Jeremy

Unfortunately we see posts like yours all the time. Guys don't learn. Going to a "butcher" to get a straight shave and getting someone who knows what they are doing seems to be like buying a lottery ticket and expecting a big winner.

I would be concerned about the condition of the brush he used on you and if he actually used a straight its condition also. he may have violated health codes for your state or city. Sorry about your experience. Also, nothing wrong with a hot towel after shaving, many do it but its more important to do it before.

After a stern talking-to by my wife, I will probably never get a straight razor shave in a barber shop. And, after much thought, it doesn't bother me. Really, I just can't risk getting a disease or infection from some moron barber who thinks he knows what he's doing. Just not gonna happen.

I have a question: Do barbers wear protective gloves when giving shaves? Masks? There reason I'm asking, is that pretty much every medical or dental professional that deals with me, ever, now wears rubber gloves. Whether or not there's a possibility of blood contact.

You have a situation where a guy is wielding what is normally a very sharp object, close to one's face, and it's not that unusual for "cuts" to occur.

What if this barber cuts himself? Or had cut himself recently? Who else has this barber shaved? Did he cut them? Was he wearing gloves? Were the towels new? If not, how do they clean the towels? Did he use a disposable blade? If not, how many others has he shaved with the same blade? Did he follow medical facility standards for sterilization and disinfection? Can you be sure?

Would you really trust the barber with your life? I mean, that's what it comes down to. Maybe I sound like a madman talking like this in a shaving board, but THINK about it.

Sharp Razor.
Cuts.
Blood.
Lots of customers.

NOT a medical facility.

That's enough for me.. I say enjoy them while you can. I can't imagne straight razor (or even safety razor) "barber shop" shaves being legal for much longer.

-Mason

Only thing I can say is: Ouch!!!

I too would have asked for a refund, there's enough reasons for it. You could pass the word around your town that he's not good:lol: but that's not really a good thing to do.:lol:

P.S. I would suggest Polysporin for the deep cut to prevent infection, it's really important: wash the face with a no-soap cleanser and then apply polysporin. For the rest of the face, I'll suggest time. Time is your best allie as your body knows how to heal itself. Shaves are a No-no as long as you're not healed properly. I was planning on going to a barbershop before buying a straight, but I'm not so sure anymore (I still want to buy a straight, but I might forget the barbershop part)

that sounds pretty bad. i would say if you can find an art of shaving store you should give it another shot. depending on where you live find the biggest city and try there.

as for me i found this great barber shop not far from where i am. they keep their razors clean (they use barbicide). i'm sure you can ask someone on the board to recommend a place for you.

I've only had a barber shave a couple of times since it's pricey. But, fortunately, I've found a place where they know what they are doing. I am shaved with a straight razor and the shop makes it's own foam. I hope you can replace this bad experience with a good one in the future.

what a great post! Turly loved reading about your horrifying experience...very nice writing style. At least now you know NOT to go back to this barber (I really wouldn't even go for a haircut...I mean if he is so overconfident about his shaving technique then he's probably overconfident about other things...I guess he could use a clipper...but...).

just curious, how old was he? Hard to imagine an older guy getting it so wrong (though it is possible).

my advice is to let the area heal...then enjoy a shave with several days growth.

Evening all,

Thanks very much for your advice, lads. I had only briefly considered infection in with the cuts and how it might get inflamed etc, and I had not considered how to treat them against this. But I'll be sure to get some Polysporin or Neosporin, or I might even whack on some Thursday Plantation tea-tree antiseptic cream if I can find some.

It probably did bugger all, but one of the reasons I allowed him to hit my face with some alcoholic aftershave was I wanted to get rid of any bugs that might grow in the strawberry fields under my jaw. Taking a more serious approach will be a much better option, methinks.

masonjarjar, thats actually, to my way of thinking, a fairly reasonable case to reconsider shaves from a barber. If I am ever to go to a barber (a different one of course, perhaps one of the old one's in Sydney or Melbourne) for a shave again, I'd certainly asking a lot of questions - about prep, products and most importantly sterilization.

momo360, yes I did shell out the $12 for the shave, and I'm quite sure, as others have suggested, that I really should have requested a refund or been more firm.

For what its worth, I have drafted a letter that I intend to deliver to him today just going over some of the things I felt could have improved the experience.

Thanks again for your help (and sympathy) one and all.

CB

I am old enough to remember waiting my turn in a barbershop and watching almost as many shaves as haircuts. But that was long ago. I think it is pretty much a disappearing skill...they just don't get any practice at it anymore.

Unfortunately we see posts like yours all the time. Guys don't learn. Going to a "butcher" to get a straight shave and getting someone who knows what they are doing seems to be like buying a lottery ticket and expecting a big winner.

Yeah fair call - one of the things that sort of inspired me a bit was a conversation I was having with a workmate of mine who related his experiance of getting a shave done by a barber in London. The way he described it sounded par excellence.

Of course, I didn't hope the local barber to deliver the same level of service, but I didn't expect to get hacked up by an arrogant amateur either.

Sorry about your experience. Also, nothing wrong with a hot towel after shaving, many do it but its more important to do it before.

Yes indeed it felt quite nice after the shave; I didn't make this clear in the post but when I was trying to talk to him about the kind of preparation and lather techniques that I've picked up and found very helpful, he seemed to be most concerned about the time taken and the cost of carrying out the service; which is fair enough for a business owner. I was highlighting this because if he was going to apply the hot towel once, he really should have done it before the shave. This would be a very simple adjustment he could make to the prep (instead of nothing) that would have certainly helped. As he likes doing the hot and cold towels one after another so much, which did feel nice, the best thing to do would probably be to use a hot towel both before and after - but of course, that would increase the effective cost of the shave so much that it would become devastatingly unprofitable and ruin the business (I'm overstating here of course but thats more or less the picture he painted in the post-shave conversation).

I can appreciate where he's coming from being concerned about the bottom line, certainly. But I felt that this mismatch of the process was inexcusable.

michaelskar said:
just curious, how old was he? Hard to imagine an older guy getting it so wrong (though it is possible).

Sorry I missed your question Mike. He was probably in his late 30's by my reckoning.

I'm sure I've overwritten about this as it is, but I would like to make one more point about his criticism of the process of preparation and lathering as being "old fashioned" and "out of date". He admitted that cartridge razors are not great, and saftey razor blades are better and certainly cheaper, but insisted that straight razors are the best blade you can get. This is all quite true, depending on obvious variables. But to me, that seems to be inconsistent with his criticism that "old fashioned" lather and prep methods are inferior to today's canned soopergoo. If he was consistent, I would have been shaved with a M3 or Fusion - after all, straights are so "out of date"...

I mourn the critical de-skilling thats happened in this area of life.

On the plus side, my face has cleared up a bit more today and the cuts, though still visible, look free of infection.

For the curious or whoever, this is the state of my slate now according to my cruddy mobile phone camera:

proxy.php

proxy.php

Cheers,

CB

I'm not sure, but if you go into a pharmacy and buy some bepanthen (the stuff they use for daiper(nappy) rash - I know I know.. the face not the butt) I think it might work well for this kind of thing. Why? because it's antiseptic, has lanolin in it, and is what they use to treat tattoos down here in Australia, which is effectively a similar wound.

No, I wouldn't advise using it long term, but for a few days while something like this is healing wouldn't hurt, and it's cheap as chips too ($5.95 AUD for a small tube which would last ages).

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I have a question: Do barbers wear protective gloves when giving shaves? Masks? There reason I'm asking, is that pretty much every medical or dental professional that deals with me, ever, now wears rubber gloves. Whether or not there's a possibility of blood contact.

Hell, even referees wear gloves.

I had a hot towel shave in Edinburgh over the New Year at a barbers that I believe was called Victoria Barbers.

The guy applied Palmolive shaving gel to my dry face, then brought in a skuttle with what looked like soapy water to me - pushed the warm brush against my face a little and then began shaving with a Shavette. I too, at this point was slightly dubious, but I have to say, I got an OK shave, but nothing better than I can give myself. There was zero irritation. I had a hot towel applied to my face after the shave, where the barber then gave me a neck massage, he repositioned the towel on my face and then massaged my arms and hands. He then removed the towel, applied some aftershave balm and then 2 spritz of EDT onto my neck. It only cost £10 and I would probably do it again.

Ah, for the good old days-- when most barbers knew one end of the straight from the other!

I had a few of these shaves, and they were an experience---a nice long prep, with a succession of hot towels, a great hot lather rubbed in, built up, skillfully applied, then a sure hand wielding a surprisingly sharp piece of steel, gently, but keeping it moving, somehow reading the face and getting it shaved clean. I little touch up-- a couple of more warm towels to get the lather off, another hot one, if wanted, a splash of some Pinaud Clubman, and you felt like a million bucks.

I would have stopped this guy the very SECOND that Edge goo, or whatever he pulled out hit my skin. If I missed him there, I'd have stopped him as soon as the razor touched my non-prepped skin. I would have stood up, wiped my face, politely handed it back to him, and hit the door.

But that's just me. You CERTAINLY deserve your money back!

Top Bottom