What's new

Money not a thought - what is best Balm

Best is certainly subjective and it really depends on what you're going for meaning scent or function. Many times, they don't go hand in hand. If I had to choose just one balm, it would be either Neutrogena Razor Defense post shave lotion or Speick balm. Neutrogena smells decent and Speick honestly does not smell that great (it's not like their cream and aftershave lotion; it's a bit more earthy and medicinal). For me, those two destroy razor burn, provide immediate relief and perform well.

Other honorable mentions:
Lucky Tiger Vanishing Cream (smells like Vicks Vapor Rub but it's cooling as it can be; feels GREAT)
AOS Ocean Kelp (works fairly well and smells great)
Brut AS balm (believe it or not, performance is incredible for the price)
The Body Shop Maca Root AS balm (great performance; not the best smell but not bad either)
145 Intelligent Skincare lotion (from Whole Foods; great performance; unscented)

Lastly, I don't use a balm by itself. I do a cold water rinse, blot dry then Thayers Superhazel followed by Lucky Tiger face tonic then a balm. That pretty much guarantees me ultimate comfort after my shaves.

You'll have to wade through the vast selection out there and figure out your own personal best.

For myself, I really like the Crabtree & Evelyn Nomad aftershave balm. The fragrance, the feel, and both of those much later in the day.

My best performing ASB is C.O. Bigelow's #1200. It has a mild, neutral scent that goes well no matter what soap or cream I used befote it, or which EdC/EdT I put on afterwards. It always leaves my skin looking and feeling great. Sometimes I put a layer of Witch Hazel on underneath, and let that dry before I apply the #1200. But it performs just fine without the WH, too. Unfortunately, #1200 has been discontinued and I can't find it any more. I'm sitting on 3 unopened bottles and that should last me several years.

Tabac ASB is also right up there in terms of performance, but I can't use it with anything other than following an all-Tabac shave. Tabac ASB is more of a milk consistency than a balm, and I have to be careful when I squeeze the tube or I spill out more than I wanted.

For everyday use, Nivea Sensitive ASB in the white bottle is a fine performer. It goes with everything. It is available in most drugstores and supermarkets, and only runs about $5 a bottle.

My post shave looks like this,
1. run my razzorock around my face
2. Speicks lotion (great)
3. Thayers witch hazel
4.would be a AS like JPG or PAA
5. Now the balm, for me the best so far have been CF Lavender, Cade or ABC Milk, but was wondering if there was something else i should try for number 5

I have too many to count but for an unscented the blue ribbon goes to ZIRH Soothe. It's too pricey buying directly from them ($32.50 I believe) but I see it offered on eBay all day long for about $10.00.

My go to is Icoloniali facial and aftershave balm 3 in 1 mango, it has a great soothing and moisturizing effect.
Also Cade, Myrsol Emulsion and the Icoloniali Rhubarb are in my rotation.

Edwin Jagger Aloe Vera ASB works well with my skin and provides relief when needed. I use an aloe vera witch hazel first then apply the balm.

T&H Grafton. Pricey but delightful. Stirling Bay Rum. Wonderful scent and I fought to accept the brief sting.

Do you want greasy or something that completely absorbs quickly? I have quite a few balms and don't really like ones that feel greasy for too long like L'Occitane. My favorites are Myrsol Emulsion and Soap Commander, both a have a nice level of menthol and don't feel greasy.

Glaze3 might have a bad L'Occitane - greasy is NEVER a word I would use to describe L'Occitane. Nourishing, soothing, healing and refreshing are what come to mind for L'Occitane. I suppose with different skin types your mileage may vary.

Glaze3 might have a bad L'Occitane - greasy is NEVER a word I would use to describe L'Occitane. Nourishing, soothing, healing and refreshing are what come to mind for L'Occitane. I suppose with different skin types your mileage may vary.

I have had multiple tubes of Cade and L'Occitan and both are greasy compared to the two I listed above. Have you tried either of those? They both leave your face moisturized, but also dry like a splash would feel.

My skin simply loves L'Occitane! But it's a wonderful world that we have so many options. I will try some of the other balms listed in this thread to see how they perform. It's great to have such input, just trying top tier products could fill a bathroom and diminish one's bank account.

My skin simply loves L'Occitane! But it's a wonderful world that we have so many options. I will try some of the other balms listed in this thread to see how they perform. It's great to have such input, just trying top tier products could fill a bathroom and diminish one's bank account.

:thumbup1:

Top Bottom