What's new

I have $100-175 for a new brush-see my "specs" here and make recomendation

Fan lets you feel more of the brush since more of the knot touches your face. Bulb gives you a smaller but more focused feeling and more control over lather application. It's just a personal preference.

The Semogue Owners Club 2 band fits the bill perfectly here. It's a 24mm knot, 55mm loft, one of the best handles on the market for bowl lathering, great backbone for its loft height with super soft tips. It's $95. Take the rest and go out for a nice dinner. �� It's a bowl lathering machine. I love mine.

JMO,you will adapt to whatever brush you choose. You will find they all have strengths. You have to learn how to manage how much water you work with, etc.

If you like to lather, get some backbone. Fans are also better at this because they make contact with the edge of the puck and agitate more soap.

If you like a soft luxurious feel, get silvertip... but understand lower loft is better for lather strength; if you like backbone and soft tips get 2-band, finest (or high mountain white and so on).

You will learn to make all of them make great lather for you. And you will learn to paint if the scritch bothers you and enjoy rubbing if it doesn't.

I own all "grades" of badger and I still use a pure most days because they are all good at doing what they do.

Thanks for all of the recommendations. I decided on a Thater 4125/1, but I'm already thinking about a second brush--maybe a Shavemac by Mr. Vey.

Some great options that meet your criteria:

Thater 4125/1 2-Band Bulb
Thater 4292/4 2-band Bulb
Shavemac 2-band Silvertip 24/50 Bulb (Expert Select)

Any of these will have sufficient backbone to use with soap or cream, and at the same time be very soft with little to no scritch.

Just wanted you to know that I bought the exact two Thaters that you recommended, and I like them both but especially the 4292/4 which I really like with cream. It is absolutely a dream shave for me. I'm thinking about a Thater 4292/2 (21mm), but leaning toward a Shavemac finest (I don't have a "finest"???), but that is subject to an update any minute now to a 3122 Saville Row. Or maybe....

Thanks for the recommendation.

Last edited:
The Semogue Owners Club 2 band fits the bill perfectly here. It's a 24mm knot, 55mm loft, one of the best handles on the market for bowl lathering, great backbone for its loft height with super soft tips. It's $95. Take the rest and go out for a nice dinner. �� It's a bowl lathering machine. I love mine.

Thanks for recommendation. I now have a Semogue 2013 Special Edition that I like a lot. It has bloomed nicely and I like the way I can use it for cream and soap. The olive handle is beautiful and comfortable. I think there is something good about Semogue brushes in general.

JMO,you will adapt to whatever brush you choose. You will find they all have strengths. You have to learn how to manage how much water you work with, etc.

If you like to lather, get some backbone. Fans are also better at this because they make contact with the edge of the puck and agitate more soap.

If you like a soft luxurious feel, get silvertip... but understand lower loft is better for lather strength; if you like backbone and soft tips get 2-band, finest (or high mountain white and so on).

You will learn to make all of them make great lather for you. And you will learn to paint if the scritch bothers you and enjoy rubbing if it doesn't.

I own all "grades" of badger and I still use a pure most days because they are all good at doing what they do.

This thread has taught me a lot. Your advice and advice from lots of others has been enlightening to say the least. I understand how to go about selecting a brush thanks to all the comments like yours.

This is a great forum!

Semogue's are focused. Stylish. Classic. Interesting. Affordable. Collectable. Quality.

OK....very soon

Here it is...

$IMG_1534.jpg

Top Bottom