What's new

NBC under fire: Vets assail Brian Williams over ‘reprehensible’ false claims.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Maybe somewhat off topic, but I read where 90% of US media, including NBC, is owned by six companies. That is a huge amount of power in the hands of just a few people. Scary.

That is pretty close to the truth. If it comes out of the TV it is probably a lie

Last edited:
hey, maybe we should talk about "Williams" shave soap! I wonder what Brian has to say about his experience with that.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Let the 'spin' doctors and 'damage control' guru's loose...:blink:

CNN Money - 10 Feb 15

"NBC News president Deborah Turness informed staffers of the network's decision at a meeting shortly after Williams' fill-in, Lester Holt, finished anchoring Tuesday's "NBC Nightly News."

The suspension will be without pay and is effective immediately," Turness wrote. "We let Brian know of our decision earlier today. Lester Holt will continue to substitute Anchor the NBC Nightly News."

The announcement follows a morning meeting between Williams and the CEO of NBC Universal, Steve Burke, at
Burke's apartment.

Burke said in a statement on Tuesday night, "By his actions, Brian has jeopardized the trust millions of Americans place in NBC News. His actions are inexcusable and this suspension is severe and appropriate."

Read More: http://money.cnn.com/2015/02/10/media/brian-williams-nbc-suspended/index.html
proxy.php
"Integrity is choosing your thoughts, [words] and actions based on values rather than personnel gain". Author Unknown

I'm really disheartened to see the change in the "news" over the last 30 years. News is no longer news. It is now always presented through a "filter" that is determined by the individual or organization so it reflects a particular point of view. It's so sad. I just want the facts and then I'll make my own judgment on the event.

It was ever thus.
There is too much news not to filter, now more than ever.
From the days of the first woodcuts through Hearst and Murdoch, Kronkite and Brokaw, the editors and publishers always get to decide what you see. These days, there are many alternatives, but each and every one of them still filter. They may even all have facts, but omitted facts help push an agenda as much as published facts.
Despite the world of information at your fingertips it's easier than ever to only hear what you want to hear and disregard the rest.
Mmmhmmhmm.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
By "spin doctors and damage control" do you mean punishment?
Haggises:
No, I don't, but it is what it is. I don't think it's a matter for the public to decide, but if you ask NBC...his suspension will cost him ½ of his 12 million (reported), dollar salary. :blink:

proxy.php
"If you have [credibility], nothing else matters. If you don't have
[credibility]...nothing else matters". Alan Simpson

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Maybe ... just maybe ... the "fog of war" is thicker than we realise, especially for us civilians who are not trained to deal with it, and maybe ... just maybe ... we need to cut Brian a bit of slack.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Maybe ... just maybe ... the "fog of war" is thicker than we realise, especially for us civilians who are not trained to deal with it, and maybe ... just maybe ... we need to cut Brian a bit of slack.

Brian Williams cut me slack in 1992 :biggrin:

Let he who hath never lied, or be muddled in thinking, or even honestly made a mistake, cast the first stone.

I agree, but we also have to draw a line somewhere, that involves some sort of punishment for doing something wrong, otherwise anyone could use that saying as an excuse to do almost anything and not expect to be punished in some form or another. JMO.

I haven't followed this story enough to agree or disagree with what is being done with him. As of now, I didn't see anything that said he was fired.

I agree, but we also have to draw a line somewhere, that involves some sort of punishment for doing something wrong, otherwise anyone could use that saying as an excuse to do almost anything and not expect to be punished in some form or another. JMO.

I haven't followed this story enough to agree or disagree with what is being done with him. As of now, I didn't see anything that said he was fired.
I don't disagree with any of that. It was the absoluteness of the post I quoted that I was taking issue with.

Ronald Reagan claimed that his unit had shot footage of the liberation of Nazi Concentration Camps, when he in fact was working out of Hollywood. Didn't cost him his presidency, either (and rightly so). Doesn't make Williams lies right, but maybe we really need to cut him some slack.

Reagan was only President. Williams was a National News Anchor for pity's sake.
Everyone trusts a National News Anchor!

Notwithstanding that the set{people who don't trust national news anchors because of political bias} does seem to roughly coincide with the set{people clamoring for Williams to go because of lack of trust issues}

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Reagan was only President. Williams was a National News Anchor for pity's sake.
Everyone trusts a National News Anchor!

Notwithstanding that the set{people who don't trust national news anchors because of political bias} does seem to roughly coincide with the set{people clamoring for Williams to go because of lack of trust issues}

Yep, you expect lies from politicians- that is what they do best.

Top Bottom