What's new

Dog lover needs a shoulder to lean on

Like many of you, I have two dogs. Both are miniature pinschers. One of them has been my pride and joy since he was 9 weeks old, and recently turned 10 years old (Diesel...yep, hence the name). The other however was a rescue, likely a pet store dog and riddled with behavioural issues. (Harley). We took him in at the age of two and he'll be nine this summer. Recently we found a growth on his front leg and kept an eye on it. It became bigger, so off to the vet this morning for surgery. This thing is about the size of a quarter and he's only a 12 lb dog, if that puts things into perspective.

Fast forward, the vet called and will send off the growth to the lab to see if it's something to be worried about, and during Harley's teeth cleaning, 5 teeth needed to be extracted. I got off the phone and my heart broke. Many times, it took everything I had to not want to want to kick a field goal with this dog...and now, I just want to bring him home.

Deep down I have a sneaking suspicion that the worst is yet to come. I'm just worried that the test results will be cause for Harley to be put down. And as much as I wouldn't miss having to clean up after his nervous bladder issues, or listen to him go berserk when I leave the house... I love this little trouble maker and so does my family. Not to mention he's Diesel's side kick. He's not showing signs of suffering, but I guess I'll have to just hurry up and wait.

Sorry for the long post...I'm not sure what else to do..

Brad

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423176977.115525.jpg

Last edited:
Please, there's no need to apologize. You're having a rough time with an animal that is part of your family. Despite your feelings, it's like you said, only a suspicion. All you can do now is be positive and pray for him. I'll be sending good karma your way :001_smile

I know where your coming from and no reason to apologize, we lost our family member two weeks before Christmas.

Youll know now what to do and when to do it, it won't make it easier, but it's better than them suffering.

Like many of you, I have two dogs. Both are miniature pinschers. One of them has been my pride and joy since he was 9 weeks old, and recently turned 10 years old (Diesel...yep, hence the name). The other however was a rescue, likely a pet store dog and riddled with behavioural issues. (Harley). We took him in at the age of two and he'll be nine this summer. Recently we found a growth on his front leg and kept an eye on it. It became bigger, so off to the vet this morning for surgery. This thing is about the size of a quarter and he's only a 12 lb dog, if that puts things into perspective.

Fast forward, the vet called and will send off the growth to the lab to see if it's something to be worried about, and during Harley's teeth cleaning, 5 teeth needed to be extracted. I got off the phone and my heart broke. Many times, it took everything I had to not want to want to kick a field goal with this dog...and now, I just want to bring him home.

Deep down I have a sneaking suspicion that the worst is yet to come. I'm just worried that the test results will be cause for Harley to be put down. And as much as I wouldn't miss having to clean up after his nervous bladder issues, or listen to him go berserk when I leave the house... I love this little trouble maker and so does my family. Not to mention he's Diesel's side kick. He's not showing signs of suffering, but I guess I'll have to just hurry up and wait.

Sorry for the long post...I'm not sure what else to do..

Brad

View attachment 546364

Been there, doing that with my 15 year-old pal. Animals have no hidden agenda, they know you love them. They are a gift that enriches your life. My pal has taught me so much about true love. Enjoy, appreciate, and you will have no regrets. Love and loss are part of life, make the most of it. When your pal finally parts company, take a month or so to recover and find another homeless pal. I believe dogs go to heaven and make sure you plan for your reunion now.

Many times, it took everything I had to not want to want to kick a field goal with this dog...and now, I just want to bring him home.

...as much as I wouldn't miss having to clean up after his nervous bladder issues, or listen to him go berserk when I leave the house... I love this little trouble maker and so does my family.

The life of a minpin owner. I hope everything turns out well for you. We recently found out that our 12 year old minpin Bruiser has diabetes. It didn't look like he would make it at first and thankfully things took a turn for the better. We went through that same range of emotions. They can be trying, but they reward you with an unbelievable amount of love and laughter. So much dog packed into that little package.

Best wishes to you and your family. Hopefully things will be fine.

Keep us updated on Diesel's progress.

Cancer is a hard one on dogs and progresses fast. BUT they do respond to treatment much better than humans. It was cancer that got Fremiet in the end and why we did not wait too long before taking her on her last ride in the car.

10 years is not too old for a minpin so if you can afford the treatments give it some thought and discuss it with your vet.

Update :

Harley has been doing great, not to mention our vet was fantastic. He's healing nicely and Diesel has been keeping an eye on him. He's still a little sore and we're waiting for the lab results on the tumor. Thanks for all the kind words. Here's a few pics. I'm amazed on the outcome of the teeth cleaning.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423438491.893339.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423438504.163383.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423438515.485157.jpg

Honestly, Harley doesn't care as long as you and Diesel are there for him. I've been there and done that a few times over. Currently have a dog that has a cancerous lesion that we're treating. Frankly, it doesn't matter to them. Be there...that's 100% of what he needs no matter what the outcome.

Glad to hear a positive update. It's amazing how filthy those little buggers mouths can get. Bruiser has had a couple of cleanings and is a couple teeth short too.

Dogs become part of your family. In many cases, it hurts more to see one of your pets in pain because they don't understand why they are hurting. They are looking to you to make them feel better.

We lost our 15 year old lab last year. She was a family member. Even with the hurt that came when we had to put her down, the joy and love that she brought to our family was worth it.

Hoping for a speedy recovery. Broke my heart when my Sheltie had to have surgery a few years back, but he made it through with no after effects at all.

Hoping for good news coming your way. I have a senior rescue, as of last Spring. He can be (is?) a major pain in the ___ and he has severe anxiety issues, but really he's my buddy and he's just had it rough all his life. I'm not sure how I would handle him or my Golden actually going through what your Harley is. Here's to a speedy recovery for your little guy.

Last edited:
2nd update :

I spoke the vet today about the lab results. Harley has a grade 1 sarcoma (basically a malignant tumor). It has 25% re growth chance. Because the tumor is in his very thin legs, with lots of surrounding blood vessels, the vet could not get all of the tumor. My options are to keep an eye on things to see if it comes back, and have it removed again. They'll need to check to see if it's spreading. I can also try radiation or chemotherapy ...it's not done in my city, so Harley would need to go out of province. I'm looking at a minimum of $3,000 to $5,000 for the procedure. The last option is to have his leg amputated. Not on my watch.

Ultimately I've opted to keep an eye on him and see if things get worse. If all stays as is, he'll hopefully be fine. If he shows signs of suffering and remission, I'll gladly have the tumor removed again until I'm forced to put him down.

I really don't know how I feel right now. Sad and a bit helpless mostly.

Last edited:
That sounds like a wise decision . That would be the way I would handle it as well. My thoughts and prayers for a full recovery are with you and your dog. Please continue to keep us posted.

Update 3:

Stitches came out today and Harley seems to be back to his old self. I want to thank every one for their concern and prayers. I'll be keeping a close eye on my four legged friend.

Top Bottom