What's new

Streamline broken blade post - repair ideas?

I have this Streamline that has a problem. One of the two corner blade posts (the posts hold the blade at the front edge of the razor; pictures below which I hope can show what I am trying to say) is chipped due to rust. As a result the razor is unusable as a blade will not stay put. This is such a well built razor and it is interesting that a tiny (I mean real tiny) piece of missing metal and the razor cannot be used - wondering if anyone has any ideas or suggestions to repair it. It there is a simple enough fix, I would love to try. Thank You in advance.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
You might be able to clean up the corrosion and put a little solder on it. Build up the material and file it to shape.

If it is made of brass, you are out of luck. Some of these can hold the blade in place, even with one blade stop.

Interesting. I wonder how one blade stop can work. Are you referring to some other SE models?

You might be able to clean up the corrosion and put a little solder on it. Build up the material and file it to shape.

Believe me, that was the first idea that passed my mind. :laugh: I doubt that will work because the top cap and spring mechanism is pushing the blade against the stops. Don't think soldering can withstand that pressure for long. Can it?

I've never seen anyone fix one of these blade stops, but here's hoping someone has had success.
Ah, didn't think if anyone else has had this issue before. For such a well built razor, the blade stops are rather too weak in my opinion.

Thank You for the input. So may be this is to be used as parts. :bored:

Last edited:
depends on the solder. There are different grades, higher heat solder tends to hold a lot better. Wouldn't use a lead-blend solder since it is so close to passing over the face and potential nicks, cuts, etc.

I have spoken with many welders, and they say soldering cannot be done on the brass. But, I don't see that it couldn't hurt to try.

I had never heard about JB Weld before. Reviews about it are unbelievable. :w00t: Definitely worth a try. I will be in the States next month and will purchase this. Thank You!

Gents, Thank You for the tips. I am definitely excited to give this a try and will report back when I get the chance to do so.

Just to confirm as what needs to be done - to build the stop using JB Weld alone. (Not using any metal piece). Right? :blushing:

Thank You.

Gents, Thank You for the tips. I am definitely excited to give this a try and will report back when I get the chance to do so.

Just to confirm as what needs to be done - to build the stop using JB Weld alone. (Not using any metal piece). Right? :blushing:

Thank You.

Yep. Only JB Weld. Let us know if it works. I have a MMOC that needs a blade stop.

Sorry I was at a guys house several years ago and he said he Grandpa was a machinist and took a 1/32 bit and tap and drilled it out and tapped it then got a matching brass screw and screwed it in and left enough gap for the blade to slip under.

I have spoken with many welders, and they say soldering cannot be done on the brass. But, I don't see that it couldn't hurt to try.

It can be done I repaired a Valet by soldering on a piece of brass.

Now I don't plan on using it as a daily shaver because of the lead but it does work.

It's also plenty strong. I bent the tab down into place with pliers after it was soldered on.

You do need a big healthy soldering iron with a big head not one of those little pencil ones, but yes it can be done.

Top Bottom