What's new

belt suggestion

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Can somebody clarify the difference between a dual-layer belt and single layer? What advantages do a dual-layer belt have to justify the extra cost?

Thanks!

My understanding, taking Filson as an example, is that "dual layer" is two pieces of leather sewn together one on top of the other to make a 2x thick belt. (This is NOT ... repeat NOT ... the same as the cheap belts you get in Walmart or wherever where a thin piece of leather is glued to a chunk of whatever for thickness and then glued to a thin piece of "back leather" to make what cosmetically looks like a leather belt.)

The "dual layer" is presumably for those who need ... or want to think they need* ... an uber-strong belt for heavy tasks and such. I gather that the double layer can be popular among those who wear a holster or drape other heavy items from their belt, but otherwise one layer of full-grain leather is all you need.

*in the same vein as the old maxim that some fishing lures are for catching fish, and some are for catching fishermen.

Can somebody clarify the difference between a dual-layer belt and single layer? What advantages do a dual-layer belt have to justify the extra cost?

Thanks!

A single layer belt is just that, typically top grain cowhide. Depending on where the blank is cut from dictates actual strength properties, but generally speaking for average pants keeping up abilities it does a good job and is a cost effective option. The down side is without the glue/stitch there is nothing to keep the leather from stretching out over time and use. A quality single layer belt will be leaps and bounds better than anything available at a typical department store.

Most double layer 'gun belts' are two layers of top grain cowhide glued flesh side to flesh side and stitched. The stitching limits the stretch of the leather and the two layers together act as a better & more stable support. Downside to these lined belts is thickness, and the tradeoff is something that will look good and remain in service for many years to come. You'll see posts from customers of large makers showing off 10 year old + belts...I was getting around 6 months out of my store bought belts before I started making them.

For folks that carry a lot of stuff on their belt or just want a super stiff belt they take the lined belt one step further and add reinforcing materials between the two layers. Some use plastics of different types, metal banding, and/or Kydex.

All things equal in thickness/quality two layers are stronger than one. While it might not be necessary for every application, overkill is underrated.

Thanks for the responses. I did some more reading on one of those websites linked and in the FAQ section it stated that single layer belts can stretch due to the nature of leather. The dual layer belts are stitched together with the grain in opposite (perpendicular) directions which limits the stretching. Sounds good and makes sense, but it really depends on how much and how quickly a single layer belt will stretch. From your comments it looks like one layer should be good for standard applications (i.e. not having more tools on my belt than batman).

Thanks all! Now I just need to pick out the color / style / etc!

The belt on the left is a Beltman the belt on the right is Orion. I bought them both in March 2014. The Beltman has more wear time than the Orion.

$DSCI0006.jpg

EDIT: The pic is a little bit deceiving. The Beltman is not laying flat on the floor. If I push down on the Beltman so it is flat on the floor it is almost perfectly straight.

Last edited:
What do you guys think of suspenders?
I only wear braces and I love them. I have several sets of various styles from quite casual to very dressy, which is odd since braces are considered to be underwear. The only down side to wearing proper braces is sewing buttons into every pair of trousers. Since you are casual every day, then you can get non-sew buttons. I use them on my jeans. You can also get special clip on buttons that work pretty well.

The belt on the left is a Beltman the belt on the right is Orion. I bought them both in March 2014. The Beltman has more wear time than the Orion.

View attachment 553006

EDIT: The pic is a little bit deceiving. The Beltman is not laying flat on the floor. If I push down on the Beltman so it is flat on the floor it is almost perfectly straight.
I certainly see the difference, but what is wrong with a belt that is broken in and conforms to the shape of your body? I actually have ordered a couple belts from Orion, but have not received them- so I can't comment on quality. Orion advertises full grain vegtan leather- which is surprising for how affordable they are. But again, I can't comment on quality until I receive them.

I certainly see the difference, but what is wrong with a belt that is broken in and conforms to the shape of your body? I actually have ordered a couple belts from Orion, but have not received them- so I can't comment on quality. Orion advertises full grain vegtan leather- which is surprising for how affordable they are. But again, I can't comment on quality until I receive them.

Nothing wrong with Orion belts they are top quality and WAY better than anything you will get at a department store. They are worth ever penny, very affordable IMO and I will probably buy another. Mine has a nicer buckle than the Beltman. However a quality dual layer belt will hold up your pants without any roll or sag without having to be cinched up tight, even while carrying a side arm.

BTW, when I was a kid, the doctor told me a belt is purely cosmetic. It is not supposed to hold your pants up. Wearing it that tight would be bad for health. Therefore, if you have to have even a tiny bit of that function, I think a belt with elastic might be best.

Nothing wrong with Orion belts they are top quality and WAY better than anything you will get at a department store. They are worth ever penny, very affordable IMO and I will probably buy another. Mine has a nicer buckle than the Beltman. However a quality dual layer belt will hold up your pants without any roll or sag without having to be cinched up tight, even while carrying a side arm.
That is good to know. Thanks for the info.

BTW, when I was a kid, the doctor told me a belt is purely cosmetic. It is not supposed to hold your pants up. Wearing it that tight would be bad for health. Therefore, if you have to have even a tiny bit of that function, I think a belt with elastic might be best.

Mine are functional. Without a belt, a hard tug would drop my pants. I use a 32" dress pant because I can't fit in a 30" and can't find a 31" and am too cheap to have a tailor adjust them. I prefer 30" jeans except my wife has a tendency to dry them in a hot dryer...so I often use 31" jeans and accept that they will loosen up after a few hours. The belt gathers the waist and doesn't stretch.

I always wonder if some of those young guys walking around with their underwear showing need to learn what a belt is...

In my search for a belt last year I found this local maker:

http://wolfhillbrand.com/collections/belts

I really really like his work, so much so that I picked up a wallet too. Not crazy expensive and it's been great. I asked him to move his logo to the inside of the belt when he made mine and it wasn't a problem at all. I'll be buying another soon.

Top Bottom