What's new

St. James of London

It has been a few years since I last used St. James. I seem to remember that I enjoyed the scent and found it had the typical ToBS performance. I guess that it did not impress me enough to purchase another tub but it wasn't bad either.

Not much help...

I have the AS. Nice scent with a little sting. Does not have longevity on the scent. Performs average with not much moisturizing. Nice blue color and bottle.

I had a tub of the cream once. It came in a nice glass jar that I liked, but I was not impressed with the performance. I needed to use a ton of it. I ended up passing it along to someone else.

I love St James of London creams. Have tried four of their scents and found them all to be great performers. Topnotch lather, glide and protection. The brand was relauched under new ownership about six or nine months ago. I hadn't tried the old products, but based on what I've read here, the new product range is superior.

FWIW, I was a Truefitt and ToBS guy before discovering SJOL. In my experience, SJOL is just as good, if not better, than those two brands. Their creams are made by Creightons, so it stands to reason than they'd be high quality and on par with the other English brands. I give SJOL added points for their packaging (glass tubs) and excellent customer service.

I love St James of London creams. Have tried four of their scents and found them all to be great performers. Topnotch lather, glide and protection. The brand was relauched under new ownership about six or nine months ago. I hadn't tried the old products, but based on what I've read here, the new product range is superior.

FWIW, I was a Truefitt and ToBS guy before discovering SJOL. In my experience, SJOL is just as good, if not better, than those two brands. Their creams are made by Creightons, so it stands to reason than they'd be high quality and on par with the other English brands. I give SJOL added points for their packaging (glass tubs) and excellent customer service.

Thanks for the reply.

Last edited:
I had a tub of the cream once. It came in a nice glass jar that I liked, but I was not impressed with the performance. I needed to use a ton of it. I ended up passing it along to someone else.

The old formulas were intended for either brushless or with brush. You should try the new formula which is richer and more intended for brush use.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I very much look forward to the reviews. Something has to keep my AD stoked up, for crying out loud!

Just came in the mail. Packaging is very classy. Elegant box and substantial glass jar with a tin screw top lid. Fragrance is terrific. Subtle lavender, earthy, and a tad minty. Shaving with it tomorrow morning. Initial finger test points to this being a "creamy' cream. If that makes sense.

$d4d590ecbe015b96a9a8151c6763540e.image.750x500.jpg

Great shave this morning. Pressed for time to give a thorough review, but if you have questions fire away and I will do my best.

I bought a jar (glass as mentioned) a couple of months ago when they were having a sale. I picked up Black Pepper and Lime. The scent is quite good... love it! Spicy and sharp.

Performance wise, it's average, I would say. My experience with it also has been that you need more cream on your brush then usual, but not much more, and on top of that, is a little thirsty. It shaves well... nothing to write home about, but it shaves well none the less.

If I buy more, it will be for the scent! :thumbup:

I received a jar of their Black Pepper and Lime for Valentine's Day. To me, the scent is a little mild and not very long lasting, but the cream makes good lather and provides a good shave.

I broke out my jar of Lavender Geranium this morning, and face lathered with an Omega boar. I used only a little cream on the brush, but it really exploded while lathering. I took my time and really worked up the lather, so that the brush had enough for four passes (and then some). Like most creams, it had a lot of cushion, but it really impressed with its slickness. I don't find creams to be particularly slick, so I have to add SJofL creams to the exclusive list of Musgo Real and Simpson's Luxury creams.

These creams are a hidden gem and more people should use them.

Of the creams I've tried, St. James of London is definitely in the upper echelon. The only cream noticeably better (the best I've tried) is Simpsons Vanilla & Rose.

And their scents - they are just amazing scents. I have Mandarin & Patchouli and Cedarwood & Clarysage.

I've smelled the others at Old Town Shaving in Pasadena, and it was really hard not to pick up the Sandalwood too.

Top Bottom