What's new

mulling over vintage options.

Taxes are on their way back to me, and I'm considering getting another vintage razor.

Here is what I currently have, and what I like about each razor:

vintage: slim adjustable... like a dream with a feather. Pretty smooth

Edwin Jagger Kelvin: pretty mild feeling razor. I don't have to be careful with this one. I can do whatever I want and get no nicks or irritation and a close shave.

Maggard MR5: Only had one shave with this one. A little more aggressive than the DE 89.

37 c Slant

What would you consider that compares to say the EJ89 and is efficient? A tech?

IDK what compares to an EJ89 as I am strictly a vintage user. I would suggest you get a New or an Old.

A flair tip super speed would be in the neighborhood of an EJ 89. But, if you're looking for efficiency, find a New. DE design advancement ended there.
How's that for stirring the pot?!

Get a New and you will wonder if you need any other razors. I used mine before heading out to church this AM and am still just about BBS.
Seriously though, it will make a great addition to your shave den and the prices for a good one are very reasonable.

If I buy one of these from Ebay... how can I be sure it's not actually in terrible shape, or missing teeth?

And also... is the new OC only?

New is oc only. Long or short comb. Here is a pic side by side.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422833933.871274.jpg

I'd recommend a new or a pre war tech with the triangle holes. Such as this.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422833976.044671.jpg

Or for a bit more aggressive go for a old type.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422834005.439424.jpg

Hope the pics help. As for condition I always pay close attention to pics on eBay and ask questions. But it's easiest to post a wtb here and get what u want from ppl who u can trust...

Found a short comb new on the market place. It's on it's way!

For those of you who love this razor... what do you love about it? Any tips on this one?

I'm thinking of an ASTRA as the first blade for it.

Found a short comb new on the market place. It's on it's way!

For those of you who love this razor... what do you love about it? Any tips on this one?

I'm thinking of an ASTRA as the first blade for it.

I tend to use astra/gsb/lab blue. All r good pairs in my opinion. Never used a feather in it and am gonna try a polsilver si in it next. As to the razor it's just a great efficient razor. Not overly aggressive by any means but gets the job done. It's a highly regarded razor here on the forums. Happy shaving. U got a good one!!

I'm excited about it! I think I'm ready to at least try OC after 6 months of DE. I'm glad to hear it's not super aggressive.

I'm excited about it! I think I'm ready to at least try OC after 6 months of DE. I'm glad to hear it's not super aggressive.

It's not overly aggressive at all. It's very good. Any razor can bite. Shave with confidence. I have backups for mine in case anything ever happens to them. And am debating getting backups for my backups....

I tried a 1904 back in September or so and just wasn't ready for it. I'm looking forward to this one. Challenge...accepted!

Oooo, I'm kinda on the edge of my seat. I am so considering buying a New. Please, do not delay on your thoughts of your first shave with it.

Top Bottom