What's new

Treet SE: Not a 1912!

$IMG_4353.jpg

I recently rescued this user grade Treet from the back of the drawer, and after using it a few times, I''l have to say it is a very good shaver. And more than that, I find the design really intriguing. I've seen quite a few Treets over the years, and really didn't pay much attention to them. I just looked at the flip top cap and fat Bakelite handle and assumed that the Treet was a re-badged Jr.; just another 1912. Thanks to member pjgh for pointing out to me that the Treet is actually not a 1912 at all; and in fact it isn't marked with the 1912 patent. A little closer look:

$IMG_4354.jpg

Here, you can see the similarities with the Jr., namely the virtually identical cap. But, of course, the Treet has a solid guard bar instead of the closed comb design of the 1912. So, it's a bit of a hybrid.

$IMG_4355.jpg

Here is a comparison with the Clog Pruf: quite a difference in the design of the bar and, of course the caps are completely different. As with most ASR SE razors, the Treet sort of mixes and matches different design elements, but as far as I can tell, its solid bar design is completely unique. I'm curious if anyone knows whether the Treet pre-dated the Clog Pruf in production? If so, that would make it ASR's first solid bar design, right?

BTW, I've also found the shave to be unique: different than either the 1912 or the Clog Pruf, but very good in its own right.

Waits' has Treet as late 1920s through to 1948 when they merged with (into) ASR. I would logically put this model from the early 1930s after they clearly had a look at the GEM Junior with the Parade handle. The Clog Pruf was 1941, so it's feasible that this model preceded the Clog Pruf.

At this time, Treet were a separate entity from ASR. That said, the cap, base frame and even the stamping "MADE IN U.S.A." is so close to its GEM counterpart I would wager that these were made on the same machines.

You know how car conglomerates are always "taking inspiration" from one brand and using it in another, I wonder if ASR made up these for Treet and then borrowed the idea of the solid bar for their Clog Pruf.

Waits' has Treet as late 1920s through to 1948 when they merged with (into) ASR. I would logically put this model from the early 1930s after they clearly had a look at the GEM Junior with the Parade handle. The Clog Pruf was 1941, so it's feasible that this model preceded the Clog Pruf.

At this time, Treet were a separate entity from ASR. That said, the cap, base frame and even the stamping "MADE IN U.S.A." is so close to its GEM counterpart I would wager that these were made on the same machines.

You know how car conglomerates are always "taking inspiration" from one brand and using it in another, I wonder if ASR made up these for Treet and then borrowed the idea of the solid bar for their Clog Pruf.

That's great information; thanks much. Very interesting observations on the possible influence of the Treet on the production/design of the Clog Pruf. It hadn't occurred to me that the fat handle Treet pre-dated the takeover by ASR. So, it's possible that the Treet was the first solid bar SE razor ever?

Another question: did ASR continue to produce Treet branded razors after the '48 takeover? I always thought so, but in thinking about it, I realize I don't really have any basis for that assumption.

Thanks again for providing your thoughts.

Thanks again.

Another question: did ASR continue to produce Treet branded razors after the '48 takeover? I always thought so, but in thinking about it, I realize I don't really have any basis for that assumption.

I always had it in mind that these razors were a kind of "last ditch" release some time in the '50s. Likewise, I have no (solid) basis for that assumption and the timeline of the company would suggest otherwise. Yes, I think they would have continued it. Looking at what else was available in the '50s from ASR, it was an experimental period with some DEs coming in under the Star brand, round handles on the British Ever Ready lines, the Streamline re-released (solid bar) and a foray into pushbuttons rather than flip-tops. I don't see why not ...

I always had it in mind that these razors were a kind of "last ditch" release some time in the '50s. Likewise, I have no (solid) basis for that assumption and the timeline of the company would suggest otherwise. Yes, I think they would have continued it. Looking at what else was available in the '50s from ASR, it was an experimental period with some DEs coming in under the Star brand, round handles on the British Ever Ready lines, the Streamline re-released (solid bar) and a foray into pushbuttons rather than flip-tops. I don't see why not ...

Hmm ... so perhaps this Treet was produced after the Clog Pruf; sort of a production model Frankenrazor, "borrowing" design elements (and parts, like the cap and the handle) from other ASR products of the day? And if it is indeed from the '50s, the solid bar makes sense, since this was the firmly established design trend of the time. Given the sketchy history available on SEs, we probably can't know for sure, but it's fun to speculate. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

How do you know all of this stuff pjgh! Im trying to soak all of the se knowledge up for myself but it just falls out of the other side!
I do like the mystery of the SE's regarding their history, since I got my 1912 a few weeks ago its like all the se razors have just appear which I have never seen before. thanks for posting, it is a lovely razor.

I don't ... I'm guessing :laugh:

No, I've read a LOT. Lots of time spent looking at period adverts and catalogues. Connect the dots and make a few synaptic leaps, and try to remember them.

I don't ... I'm guessing :laugh:

No, I've read a LOT. Lots of time spent looking at period adverts and catalogues. Connect the dots and make a few synaptic leaps, and try to remember them.

Ah that's my problem then, my memory is like a sieve... and I don't like reading.... jokes!

Interesting timeline discussion, I have three Treets and always have one on ready standby in case I need some assistance with a cleanup pass. Every once in a while I use the Treet for an entire shave. Since my first shave with it, the Treet has always delivered an effortless, enjoyable, BBS shave.

Top Bottom