What's new

R. Marchand Paris.

About the "Trancha" vs "Tranchant"
"Superbe Trancha" would be correct french, but would mean that someone named "Surperbe" did cut. It is a past tense. Odd in this case.
"Suberbe Tranchant" on the other hand just means "splendid edge"

Oh great! Now you tell me. I'm not erasing it.
my google search told me the same thing. But mail from France and a pic of the same razor all said I should change it. I wasn't sure if I should scratch my watch or wind my butt! LOL
Too funny.
I'll schtik two anglish cuz I speek it very gooder mi hole lyfe.

Last edited:
Haha! Well look who's here! Welcome to B&B my friend. Good to see you . Great bunch of guys here . Once you get the lay of the land and get familiar with the site you'll have a good time I'm sure.
Thanks about the lettering.

"Superbe Trancha" would be correct french, but would mean that someone named "Surperbe" did cut. It is a past tense. Odd in this case.

Trancha doesn't even exist in French. A native speaker already confirmed Tranchant is the correct word, not to mention the other razor that was posted.

Tranchant is not a verb, is an adjective, therefore doesn't have past tense.

Trancher OTOH is a verb, and the past tense is tranché.

Trancha doesn't even exist in French. A native speaker already confirmed Tranchant is the correct word, not to mention the other razor that was posted.

Tranchant is not a verb, is an adjective, therefore doesn't have past tense.

Trancher OTOH is a verb, and the past tense is tranché.

OK. so Tranchant is the correct word here. No doubt about it. But trancha does exist. It is the past tense of Trancher (to slice).
Tranchant is not an adjective here but a noun. "Le tranchant" means the edge.
"Superbe tranchant" is "Superb edge"

OK. so Tranchant is the correct word here. No doubt about it. But trancha does exist. It is the past tense of Trancher (to slice).
Tranchant is not an adjective here but a noun. "Le tranchant" means the edge.
"Superbe tranchant" is "Superb edge"

Sorry for disagreeing again. Trancha does not exist, the past tense of the verb ''Trancher'' is tranché. What makes you think trancha is the same thing?

I'm certainly not an expert but I do speak French and lived in France for some time.

Tranchant can be a noun or an adjective, yes:

http://www.linternaute.com/dictionnaire/fr/definition/tranchant/

Either way it doesn't have a past tense.

Sorry for disagreeing again. Trancha does not exist, the past tense of the verb ''Trancher'' is tranché. What makes you think trancha is the same thing?

I'm certainly not an expert but I do speak French and lived in France for some time.

I would tend to agree unless we were speaking Hatian Creole where trancha apparently means 'sliced'

If I may be so bold to call this "art" then consider this.
I regularly take $20.00 worth of wood and turn it into hundreds or thousands . A few blobs of paint and a canvas turns into what kind of $ ?
a simple pencil and piece of paper turns into a sketch worth what? I pretend this is my " canvas" so to speak and then play to do what I want.
Whats it worth? Who knows. It just make me happy. There is nothing so gratifying as creating something,,,, stand back and say " I did that" regardless how it may appear to others .

And like the quote I just read today by Van Gogh states,,,
" I poured my heart and soul into my work . But along the way I lost my mind"

LOL. Ain't it the truth.

Well said! :thumbup: If you are happy with it, that is all that matters. This was made for you by you.

Mike

Tranchant does not but Trancher (the verb) does

Not really what the thread is about. But there are several past tense in french.
- passé combose: "il a tranché" (it has sliced),
- imparfait: "il tranchait" (it cut - in the context of something like "whenever it encountered a hair, it sliced it fine")
- plus que parfait: "Il avait tranché" (it did cut - in the context of something like "once upon a time it did slice many hair")
- passé anterieur: "il eut tranché" (it cut - in the context of something like "it is alleged that it did slice the hanging hair")

or the most common
- passé simple: "il trancha (it cut - in the context of "5 minutes ago it sliced the hair)

I'll spare you the future antérieur.

And we are talking proper French here. Not creole.
In case some doubt exists: http://la-conjugaison.nouvelobs.com/du/verbe/trancher.php

Still, though I maintain that "Tranchant" is indeed what belongs on that blade.

Still, though I maintain that "Tranchant" is indeed what belongs on that blade.

Good, finally we agree.

Passé Simple, well played. I'd never think of it since normally it's not used. As I said I'm not an expert and the French I know is mostly based on every day speech and what I learned in school, I lived there but I wasn't writing formal speeches. :lol:

But my point all along was that ''trancha'' doesn't make any sense in this case.

Thanks for clarifying, though.

I can't agree it's the most common as you said, however.

In modern spoken French, the passé simple has practically disappeared.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passé_simple

Anyway, @OP, sorry for the thread jack! Once again, beautiful work, you're a true artist, Sir.

Last edited:
Top Bottom