What's new

Favorite Vintage NOS Razor Blades

Yeah, I don't have BAD......

Attachments

• $20150207_134805.jpg
    $20150207_134805.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 257
Impressive. :001_smile

Was the Gillette Super Silver Platinum Plus merely the Euro version of the Gillette Platinum Plus?

I am not sure what the date code is on the Super Silver Platinum Plus. I haven't shaved with a blade from that packaging. They were advertised as early 70's when I bought them. I guess I'll put this on my to do list and shave with one.

I know The Gillette Platinum Plus had a date code from 1981.

From what I've read, Personna, Schick, Wilkinson Sword and Gillette had versions of their blades being produced and marketed at concurrent times. I am not sure what Gillette's intention was in regards to marketing toward the U.S and Europe.

I love it. I wish I was half as organized. You can at least argue that all of that cardboard packaging takes of a lot of the space.

I have the cardboard packs stacked (interlocked) efficiently to maximize the space in the containers. It might as well be semi organized BAD.

I lost track of the number of blades on hand a while back. With me shaving every two or three days, I most likely have enough NOS blades to get me through the remainder of my days.

If I did that, the modern (Med Preps, Polsiver SI's, etc.) blades I have on hand would become vintage.

Impressive. :001_smile

Was the Gillette Super Silver Platinum Plus merely the Euro version of the Gillette Platinum Plus?

Here is a bit of info from an older thread:

I recall reading that the Platinum Plus was initially a flop when they tried marketing it in Western Europe. Supposedly, consumers thought the new blade was just a gimmick. The Berlin plant produced the first Super Silver Platinum blades, and these were well received by the public. I have no idea if this is the correct interpretation of what happened at the time, but there is at least one reference to this in Google book. Those blades are interesting insofar as they have both Super Silver and Platinum Plus printed on the blade. The production date is also a bit surprising.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I'd probably just use vintage blades forever if I can acquire enough. Modern blades just don't cut it compared to vintage blades.

... Modern blades just don't cut it compared to vintage blades.

I disagree and I have a lot of vintage blades compared to the average bear. Most modern blades just don't seem to last as long as the top tier vintage ones. Gillette is cranking out some great blades today in Russia and Personna as well here & in Israel. Sometimes, we get "ol' timer' bias.

The Gillette 7 O'clock Black is a pretty good blade, and in my opinion, is pretty close to the best of the vintage stainless steel blades.

I've said this before but if you can get your hands on some Sears blades you will be in for a treat.

Last edited:
Top Bottom