What's new

Nib Acquisitions, February 2015

I got my first "nice" writing instruments in the mail today. I know they're not that special but it's my first step.

$lamy.jpg
Lamy Safari Matching Pen and Pencil

I purchased the converter so I'm now on the hunt for some ink.

The postman trekked through the snow yesterday and brought me a nice package from Goulet Pens:

$IMG_2291.jpg

Ink Samples:
  • Noodler's Golden Brown
  • Private Reserve American Blue
  • Noodler's Liberty's Elysium
  • Diamine Sherwood Green
  • DeAtrementis Steel Blue
  • Noodler's Navy
  • Diamine Poppy Red
  • J. Herbin Stormy Grey 1670
Standard International Cartridge Converter
Sheaffer Cartridge Converter (I was hoping to be able to use this in my new Sheaffer/Levenger Connaisseur, but alas. it's a bit too long.)

And of course, a Tootsie Pop! :thumbup1:

$5 at an antique fair got me this little beauty.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424657067.586740.jpg

I know it's not all that rare but I liked that it was still on the card. Also the fact that the guy I bought it from actually worked on Apollo 11. He was so excited that someone would actually be interested in the little pen.

A package from Goulet Pens arrived today with a Lamy 1.1 nib for my Safari and Brian's favorite ink sampler (Diamine Ancient Copper, Diamine Majestic Blue, Diamine Red Dragon, Noodler's 54th Massachusetts, Noodler's Apache Sunset, Noodler's Black, Noodler's Liberty's Elysium, and Rohrer & Klingner Scabiosa (iron gall)).

I tried the Red Dragon on a quick note to my bride. It turned out a bit maroon on my cream-colored stationery. I don't know all the words to do an ink review, but I found it was smooth good flowing ink with some character. I had fun trying something besides black ink for change!

$inks.jpg

FPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD! I have to stop buying pens. Anyway, the Prera is the new acquisition. The concave clip is unique, the build quality is great, and it's a very nice little pen, overall. I'm happy I finally bought it. It's a surprisingly smooth writer. Its medium nib is on the fine side, which I like. It's finer than the medium nib on the Metropolitan that I used to own. I've had the Vanishing Point for several years now (an excellent pen, imo), but it's just there to keep the Prera from rolling.

The Prera is further proof that you can get an excellent fountain pen without spending a boatload of cash.

-Andy

$20150227_160939.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom