What's new

Erskine #5 - Neck Duster or Lather Monster?

My wife and I went antiquing in Laramie & Cheyenne (WY) yesterday, and one of the items I picked up was the Erskine #5 shown in the middle back row. It looked like a beast, and at only $10 it seemed almost free :biggrin1:
$100_1472.jpg
Well, the shop owner said her son was a barber and he had told her this was a neck duster, and when I ran my thumb across the top of the knot it was certainly dusty, but I was thinking that could easily have been dried soap residue from lathering and closed the deal.

At home, I decided to wash it in dish soap, lather it up, and hang it to dry overnight. Wow, did this knot explode! Darn thing covers half my face now.....
$100_1475.jpg
L to R: 400-3 / Erskine #5 / 400-4

Stats:
Knot OD at ferrule: 33mm
Handle length: 90mm
Loft: 76mm (!)
Crown width: ~90mm (!!)
Weight: 82g

I've never had a horse hair brush, but these bristles feel so completely different than the Rubberset 400 boars, and where the boars don't really bloom, this Erskine certainly has.

So what the heck did I buy, and should I maybe have kept it dry (too late now, huh)? :lol:

Looks too long and floppy to me for shaving, but you can make that call.

Maybe a great duster/talc sreader or simple display piece. A cool score either way. Enjoy!

Looks too long and floppy to me for shaving, but you can make that call.

Maybe a great duster/talc sreader or simple display piece. A cool score either way. Enjoy!
I think the fact that it covers my whole cheek from ear to nose with no room to lather means it ain't for shaving :lol: I am surprised how firm it is when I push it into my face, though.

At that size and horse hair, I'm pretty sure it's a neck duster.
I wish I had a horse hair brush or experience with one to compare and to know for sure, though size alone tells me I won't be lathering with it!

I predict wasted lather, a big mess, and the end of using a neck duster for a shave brush. Just grab a mixing bowl from the kitchen, and work up a lather. Post the pics. It sounds fun.

the picture just reminds me of no less than a big ol' St. Bernard tongue slavvering all over my cheek...

...big wet, warm dog ~ .... Oh gawd... that's almost a sad, fond memory.

Top Bottom