What's new

How often do you remove and clean your blade on a three piece?

When I remember, I open it up to clean off any hair after a shave. I just tighten it back up, no drying or anything. I use a blade everyday for a week to a week and a half and then clean it with scrubbing bubbles(if I remember)...

I disassemble it each day and clean everything fairly well, it just takes about two minutes. I didn't at first but found that just rinsing with the handle loosened still left beard and soap on the blade. I think it's more hygienic to clean it after each use.

At least I know it's okay to keep the blade in now.

My grandfather is a DE shaver, early on in my journey, when he found out I was trying DE shaves, he told me he flips the blade after every shave. Like a good grandson, I followed his orders.

I never take a blade out of the razor simply to clean either of them! I rinse after each shave and wipe the razor down when I change the blade. In the case of my injector I rinse after shaving and carefully wipe the razor down before I change the blade to keep from damaging the new blade.

he told me he flips the blade after every shave. Like a good grandson, I followed his orders.

I can 100% respect that. When I decided to start wet-shaving I pretty much jumped in without any patriarchal guidance. If my grandfather would have given me advice I sure would be following it. Loved that man, greatest man I'll ever know, no doubt about it.

I disassemble and clean mine every single use. Since I don't know when that razor will be used again none of my razors with the exception of the Schick have a blade in them. I dry the blade and put the blade back in its sleeve ready for the next shave. Takes all of 2 minutes. I suppose if I had only a single DE, I might not bother, but naah. I'd still clean it.

I take mine apart after every shave, I remove blade and rinse and then use a soft toothbrush on razor to remove any lather etc. and then I pat everything dry before reassembly ... I just like taking extra good care of my stuff and if you do it will stay looking and working like new for years to come .. just my opinion

You have a picture or details about that three piece razor? I'm sure we would all enjoy admiring it with you.

It's a chrome EJ89. It's actually my first brand new razor. My grandfather gave me two Super Speeds when I started out (I'll keep them in the family forever) a few weeks after I had ordered a vintage Gillette online. Thing is, I keep some facial hair and the super speeds aren't the best for line work IMO.

Last edited:
I rotate blades everyday (I currently have 11 blades in rotation) cause I think it's fun to try and compare. I also have a handful or so of razors that I randomly choose between in the morning. If I get something new I like to try it out. So, I take out the blade and clean the razor everyday, regardless if it's a TTO or 3 piece. Also, some of the razors I get are not exactly clean when I get them. Sometimes it takes a lot of effort to make them clean and usable. Somehow it seems wrong to let all of that gunk build up again.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Spray razor and blade with a couple of squirts from a small misting bottle filled with Isopropyl Alcohol. Rinses away soap & scum and displaces moisture. Alcohol evaporates in minutes. Left with a clean razor every time.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I break apart, rinse, and wipe down my razor after every shave. I've had my DE for about 3 months, and it still looks brand new. In all fairness, I shave in the evening, so I can take my time, and enjoy the shave, though. Plus, I only have one DE and one straight. I'm sure, once my RAD kicks in, I won't baby my razors as much as I do.

I'm soundly in the minimalist camp here. Other than rinsing them after each shave, I don't do anything until it's time to pitch the blade. When it's time to change the blade I give it a decent wiping down with a towel, and more likely than not I'm switching my attention to another razor so it likely goes back into the its rack or into my bathroom cabinet to wait its next turn.

I've done plenty of experimentation over the years, taking blades out and drying them, dipping in alcohol, etc. and none of it really made much of a difference, if any, to the longevity of my blades. And at the price I buy them at we'd be talking about carving fractions of pennies out of a shave -- just not worth my time. Also, you may well be doing more harm than good as the more you handle the blade the more of a chance you have to damage the edge.

As far as I can tell all these sorts of practices are rooted in the pre-stainless era when they probably did make a difference. The only time I do bother with the blade is if I'm using a carbon steel blade in one of my SEs.

I just rinse the razor after use, blow through the head and call it good. The blade stays in there until it gets replaced.

I can't think that these elaborate rituals after every shave are necessary, and flipping the blade does absolutely nothing.

I rinse and shake dry after a shave--sometimes towel it off. I give the razor a good cleaning as I change the blade, which is usually every 2-3 shaves.

Top Bottom