What's new

Tequila choice

Ok I think the last time I drank tequilla was like 8 years ago, I got so ripped I slept beside the toilet bowl. THinking back to that foggy day I recall the tequilla was on the harsh, not so great tasting side. I think it may have been Jose Cuervo. Fast forward to last week when I decided to do a couple shots of Tequilla at the mexican restaurant I was in.

The taste and smoothness of Patron silver was unbelievable! Nothing like I remember. I immediately went to the state store and bought a bottle. Its fairly expensive in my book at 50 bucks a bottle. Are there any other top quality tequillas that are as smooth and tasty? Please tell so I don't have to experimenting :001_rolle

Interesting story and very similar to my experience. I was a college student in the 80's and drank lots of tequila. Most of it was Cuervo Gold at best. I have slept next to toilet bowls myself because of that. A few years ago in my adult, family life with my adult friends with families I was gifted a bottle of Patron Silver. WOW! It is like a different drink all together. Tasty, smooth and wonderful intoxicant. I am not a big hard liquor drinker, but if I drink tequila, it is Patron or better. No more Cuervo for this reporter :)

Obviously subjective, but I think Cabo Wabo is by far the smoothest tequila made. I've tried it side by side with Patron and several others and the difference was huge. Patron has more alcohol burn and Cabo has more blue Agave taste without being earthy. Earthy taste is something that ruins tequila for me and Cabo brings in the Agave without the "dirt" for me. After trying it for the first time, I've never bought anything else. YMMV of course.

Obviously subjective, but I think Cabo Wabo is by far the smoothest tequila made. I've tried it side by side with Patron and several others and the difference was huge. Patron has more alcohol burn and Cabo has more blue Agave taste without being earthy. Earthy taste is something that ruins tequila for me and Cabo brings in the Agave without the "dirt" for me. After trying it for the first time, I've never bought anything else. YMMV of course.

+1. First brand I always ask the barkeep for. Smooth and excellent in my book.

Hmmm well have to try that Cabo. Also just bought a bottle of Hornitos...it's not bad.
Phantom I'm glad tiff has a similar experience and its not just my foggy memory.

Hmmm well have to try that Cabo. Also just bought a bottle of Hornitos...it's not bad.
Phantom I'm glad tiff has a similar experience and its not just my foggy memory.

You will absolutely not regret trying Cabo. There's something about it, possibly the filtration process, temperature in which the Agave is cooked or fermentation process that makes it much less harsh if you drink too much. Other tequilas make hangovers pretty brutal. I'm not even sure I've had a headache the next morning after drinking Cabo. Please report back if you buy a bottle. I'd love to hear your thoughts. You're in for a real treat.

Here in Mexico, you can't even buy Patron. Mexicans laugh that anyone drinks it. We buy really great tequila here for 6 - 8 $US per liter bottle, slightly more than a quart.

Marty

Patron is overpriced and overrated. Centenario and Cazadores are two excellent tequilas at a reasonable price. Add Hornitos to that list as well.

All this talk of Cabo made me pick up a bottle on my daily walk about (hey I have to walk past the liquor store anyway... Just saying). Today was the last day it is on sale (yea the ABC holds monthly sales and sometimes they have some pretty good stuff on their "sale list")

Not bad at all......

proxy.php

This is my every day Tequila.... Did I just say every day.... oye!....

proxy.php

Cabo is very good, but I still find it overpriced -- a 30 dollar tequila in a 50 dollar bottle.

I find Casa Noble to be quite similar to Patron -- perhaps a bit smoother -- but at about 50% of the price.
Also try:
Gran Centenario
Don Julio 70

On first sip it appears to be a nice, mild, easy to drink tequila.

I would not want to mix anything with it as the taste is very nice.

Tried a little Cuervo Especial after the Cabo and yuck what a train wreck that stuff is. Not too bad with lime or as a Margaretta but straight it is awful

You want to make sure you pick up a 100% Agave tequila. There are 3 ages you can buy.
-blanco (white) is not aged in barrels
-reposado (rested) - aged in oak barrels more than 2 months, but less than a year. The oak aging adds a bit of depth and character
-anejo - (aged) - spends between 1-3 years in a barrel.

I have a friend from Jalisco who says nobody would consider drinking Patron. I kind of consider Cabo Wabo in the same category. Its owned by Sammy Hagar, so there is that if you are a fan.

I'm not the biggest collector, but Don Julio is a good place to start.

If I'm going to mix, I'd probably still go with Cuervo silver, or another cheaper blanco. Since a Margarita gains a lot of its flavour from Tequila, you don't want to go too low.

Awesome thanks for the recommendations! 50 bucks a bottle was way too steep thus I bought the Hornitos. When that is gone I have some others to try now. Oh more thing...there much difference to the aged and unaged varieties? I like the smoothness rather than the burn.

You want to make sure you pick up a 100% Agave tequila. There are 3 ages you can buy.
-blanco (white) is not aged in barrels
-reposado (rested) - aged in oak barrels more than 2 months, but less than a year. The oak aging adds a bit of depth and character
-anejo - (aged) - spends between 1-3 years in a barrel.

I have a friend from Jalisco who says nobody would consider drinking Patron. I kind of consider Cabo Wabo in the same category. Its owned by Sammy Hagar, so there is that if you are a fan.

I'm not the biggest collector, but Don Julio is a good place to start.

If I'm going to mix, I'd probably still go with Cuervo silver, or another cheaper blanco. Since a Margarita gains a lot of its flavour from Tequila, you don't want to go too low.

Never cuervo silver. It's not 100% blue agave. El Jimador is a good mixing tequila at a good price.

Awesome thanks for the recommendations! 50 bucks a bottle was way too steep thus I bought the Hornitos. When that is gone I have some others to try now. Oh more thing...there much difference to the aged and unaged varieties? I like the smoothness rather than the burn.

Absolutely. The difference between a blanco and an Anejo is like drinking two different spirits.

Top Bottom