What's new

Glycerine bar soap and glycerine shaving soap differences?

What are the differences?

Can a glycerin bar soap like original scent free Neutrogena be turned into a shaving soap? If so, what would it take?

Or are they so different that there's no way to make it happen?

Since glycerin soaps can be melted I thought there might be something I could add that would make it a decent shaving soap and then I could pour it into a mold. Probably wouldn't work in my wildest dreams but it doesn't hurt to ask. Could be an easy way to make some soap tailored to my likes.

Last edited:

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I think a good glycerin bath soap like Mama Bear would work well as a shave soap, it's rich and creamy enough. Never actually tried it, but I think iw would work as is. Why not give it a try and report back?

Neutrogena glycerine soap is a great preshave soap, lots of slickness and good lather. I've tried it for shaving and it would certainly work in a pinch. Downside for shaving is that it will dry and thin out after a few moments, altho it can be refreshed with some warm water. And it's probably not worth trying to melt and add stuff, there are just so many great shaving soaps around

Okay. I'll just get an already prepared glycerin shaving soap and not worry about whipping up my own concoction.

Like I said, it doesn't hurt to ask.

Thanks!

Dan, got an ingredient list for the soap you're talking about? I'm curious if it's similar to VDH Glycerin Shave Soap.

Propylene Glycol, Sorbitol, Water, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Myristate, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Glycerin, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Avena Sativa Kernal Extract (and) Phenoxyethanol (Oat Extract), Fragrance, Triethanolamine, FD&C Yellow #5, FD&C Blue #1, D&C Red #33.

I've thought the same thing. There's a nice glycerin soap I bought at the local King Soopers (Krogers for you midwesterners) that I use every night. And I thought the same thing...can I use it for shaving?

So I tried it. I applied it like a shave stick. Wet my face, rubbed the soap into my whiskers, and then used a brush to whip up a lather. Shaved....

It's not the same IMO. Not as cushion-y, and didn't leave my face feeling as nice as a shave soap.

In the end, it's not meant for a shave. I like VDH quite a bit, so I enjoy a glycerin shave soap. But a bar soap meant for body isn't the same as something meant for a shave on your face.

Top Bottom