What's new

Phoenix double OC

I traded for a Phoenix Double OC, which I should be receiving in the next couple of days. What should I expect? Not expect?

It's certainly a cool looking razor. I know even though it looks aggressive, it's really not. And I've heard it's a great "buffing" razor.

Any other words of advice?

From what I have seen the chrome plating looks very rough. Lots of flashing.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's as direct of a copy of the Grand Shave King as it looks then it'll really be more of a novelty than a great shaver. I don't really care all that much for the original aside from it being interesting to look at, and it seems to me pretty likely that it was chosen for this copy more for its "sizzle" than its "steak."

Last edited:
Looks interesting! I hope it's more aggressive than Grand Shave King though. If it is, I may have to add one to my collection.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422720286.656338.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422720296.307831.jpgIt came today! Can't wait to give it a go! Maybe tomorrow night!!!

I've used it. I'd consider it on the milder side (along the lines of the GoodFella, if you guys are familiar with that one), although I'm waiting to pop a Feather in and see what happens. The "double rake" effect is indeed great for repeated passes/buffing, and I've personally enjoyed using it when I haven't been seeking that "crazy close" effect of the R41, Fatip Piccolo, or other similar razors.

Todd

I tried one for two shaves and then trade it. Was very mild and light compared to almost all of the other modern razors. If you are looking for a very mild shave this may be for you but wasn't for me.

I tried one for two shaves and then trade it. Was very mild and light compared to almost all of the other modern razors. If you are looking for a very mild shave this may be for you but wasn't for me.

This is exactly my feelings so far with the GSK. Still have it though - I'm hoping that a lucky blade pairing will surprise me with a great shave. Disappointing for the Phoenix though. Hopefully others will chime in with their experiences.

when i tried this one i found it okay at best. it was not horrible but not at all my favorite. way to mild for my hair. i wanted to like it because it looks cool imo but i gave mine away.

Well, here's my review of the PAADOC.

PREP: Hot shower, Noxcema between each pass
RAZOR: PAADOC
BLADE: Feather (5)
BRUSH: Semogue 2000
CREAM: Proraso Red
A/S: Geo. F. Trumper's Sandalwood

First off, this razor looks cool. My initial impression was, this razor looks like nothing else in my arsenal. Toothy double-open comb (top and bottom plate) design, with a knurly, albeit short handle. It was plenty grippy. Nice weight and balance, the handle length wasn't a problem for my average sized hands.

The angle was very easy to find. This razor provided an extremely smooth, efficient shave. Feeling somewhat like a cross between a Tech and a NEW, I had absolutely no trouble with my 3 pass shave. BBS right out of the gate.

This unique little razor will definitely have a spot in my regular rotation. Well done Douglas Smythe. Well done indeed.

I have thrown caution to the winds and ordered one. I'm hoping that, as a mild razor lover, I will enjoy it as much as my other razors. I'm assuming that it's made from chrome-plated Zamak.

It's a very mild and forgiving razor. A nice choice for the blade buffer. With the sharpest of blades, it provides me with a good shave.

I received mine today. I was pleasantly surprised at the head design - I thought that there would be irregular layers of chrome, which I didn't find. It looked well plated without visible imperfections. The handle, while also nice, has some sharpish areas that are not ideal in my opinion. It's quite grippy, but the transitions between the knurling and the smooth bands are where I feel that edge. Not a big deal, but noticeable.

I will be shaving with it this week and post my thoughts. It may not be tomorrow, though (I also just got a British flare tip rocket).

Top Bottom