What's new

Gillette takes a swipe at traditional wet shavers?

Remember a couple of months ago the whopping they took on their FB when they invited comparison between the Fusion and the 1908? They certainly didn't repeat THAT mistake. No one is going to come to the defense of a Trac2. Much easier target. I think Gillette made it a point NOT to further increase interest in DE. It's important that they chose NOT to have Dad's razor be a Superspeed.

My point is, why can't the new 5 blade ball thingy be of heirloom quality, like an old Tech? Answer that. I already know money is the answer, but tell me why and how Gillette has improved what we have available to us over the years. What is it?

The Fusion will never be an heirloom because it looks like it was designed by someone who took too much bad acid and read too many H.P. Lovecraft books. The sucker looks like a cross between an insect and a robot. Stupid looking. Zero long term cool factor there.

The Fusion will never be an heirloom because it looks like it was designed by someone who took too much bad acid and read too many H.P. Lovecraft books. The sucker looks like a cross between an insect and a robot. Stupid looking. Zero long term cool factor there.

Plastic also doesn't age particularly well.

My point exactly? Why do I feel like I'm in an argument here?

Hardly taking a pop at "traditional" shaving. More so at old fashioned plastic disposables.

I'd rather use a well designed if over priced mach 77 than a bandy only plastic razor to be honest.

For many younger shavers, a Trac2 is "vintage," and carts and disposables are synonymous with shaving - particularly in the more affluent US. As a young shaver, a Trac2 was the next big thing...until their multi-blade successors took over.

But I really never enjoyed shaving - until I graduated to wet shaving. Using a Fusion is a bore.

Advertising is clever ... if there is no real need for a new product they will create one (desire).

"New and Improved" has effectively moved most of us from SE to DE to a progression of carts. And, it is still working.

I had a cousin who worked for Nestle when they introduced Nescafe... I told him that's great, 97% caffeine free coffee...OK.
He started to laugh, and I asked him what he was laughing at. He told me ... "regular coffee is 96% caffeine free".

I was at a trade event last weekend, and walked by the P&G suite, where they were gushing over how they had real barbers on site to offer "real" shaves to executives, using their flex, pro glide thing.

Dude asked me if I wanted to step in for a real shave. My reply (and I'll swear to this) was : "No thanks, I hit the stubble with 3 passes on a G1 flare tip, with some Col. Conk, applied with an Omega boar". Guy looked at me like I was from Mars.

The Trac II was legitimately a big leap forward for many men from DE. Each successive leap has been less important.

I think the Trac II was a real revolution for men who only did a single pass shave. After all, it does two WTG passes in one go, and thus is a time saver.

But Gillette needs to keep consumers on the latest products; once the patents expire, other manufacturers tend to offer compatible cartridges for much lower prices. The existence of old cartridge handles is a risk to them, because they fit the 3rd party cartridges. I guess they'd like to find a way to make the handles self explode after ten years or so :wink2:

i was gonna mention the Old Type vs innovation thing where they were dogpiled with STOP innovating! but instead i'm just gonna say this new one will be as much of a collectors item as the ever popular TechMatic, they'll stop making heads and nobody will care since by then the New deal is gonna be 7 blades, a vibrator motor, and a shaving goo squirting tank...

It's not designed to be a heirloom. I think Gillette learned from the past. Handles should not last too long, because otherwise people stick with them.

Like I said, they'd probably prefer when the handles self destruct after 10 years or so.

"We're Gillette, and you should buy or razor instead of this other piece of junk made by our competitor... Who is also named Gillette."

If I worked for Gillette and wanted to keep my job, I would market whatever crazy innovation the engineers dream up and tout it as the best thing since the beginning of time. It's just up to the buyer to sift through the garbage.

Yes the razor they pull from under the sink is why we all switched to something better...but their new one is just more of the same, just more expensive, but will eventually suffer the same fate.

The new plastic Gillette will most likely last a hundred years in some landfill, where our hundred year + classics will still be shaving just fine thank you very much.

Your original post that I quoted was a global statement about how things aren't made the way they used to be. That's what I was responding to.

As for Gillette, keep in mind that King Gillette popularized the concept of disposability with his razors. "Gillette" and "disposable" have always gone hand-in-hand.
Strictly speaking, DE blades are still disposable as well.
the difference between carts and DE blades in terms of disposability is minor, IMO.

I love this ad! Reminds me of the ads for Dyson vacuum cleaners with the roller ball feature. Gillette, just like Dyson, overpriced with other options that are MUCH better.

Top Bottom