What's new

Advice: Looking for my 1st Non-Beginner Strop

Hi y'all,

So I've been dabbling with straights for about 6 months but I just wasn't getting the results to justify switching over. That was until Cobre (and Attila) got me thinking about Filarmonicas and then Cobre sold me one. This is one deep dark rabbit hole.

Anyways, I've been using a WD Poor Man's strop. I've nicked it, sanded it and learned how to do a X pattern on it. I'm wanting to get a new strop, something around 3" wide. I'm setting my budget around $100 US.

I have used the search, read the threads and recommendations. The Tony Miller strop is top of my list... but I'm still playing the waiting game. So while I wait, is there another strop that I should consider? Kanayama is intriguing but sits just outside my budget (please keep in mind that the Canadian dollar is dropping almost daily). The SRD roo strop looks like it has potential as well. The Star Shaving Big Daddy is also a contender... but they list it as backordered and I'm still awaiting a response from them (which I've heard could be as long as just waiting for a Tony Miller).

Thoughts? Suggestions? Attempts to enable? All welcome and thanks for you time gentlemen.

I agree rockviper - If I could buy one right now, I would without hesitation... but alas, Tony isn't taking any orders at the moment. I am checking his website on an almost daily basis. From what I've heard, I could be waiting up to a year before I'm able to get my hands on one of his strops. I'm thinking I may grab another strop to tide me over until I can get one of his.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Hmmm, if you have a strop that's working for you, use it and keep checking Mr. Miller's site. It'll be worth the wait.

Drop Tony an email and let him know you a member here. I did that last year and he gave me a heads up on when they were going to be ready. You won't find a more upright guy.
Site says available in February. Get on the list!!!

I think the strop material is more important than the strop manufacturer (not to take away anything from the stropmakers who produce beautiful products).

I have no personal experience with the brand but this strop uses Horween horse hide (not Shell but horse butt leather), which I think is the best stropping surface available: http://www.bisonmade.com/products/horsehide-razor-strop/ The only thing that is a little off- putting about that strop is the "genuine cotton- linen canvas strop" as all three of those things are different materials. If the second component is really linen or canvas (and it does not appear to be- it looks like cotton to me), then that should be an excellent strop. You might want to give Bison a call and chat with them about what that second component <really> is made out of.

Brian

Hi y'all,

So I've been dabbling with straights for about 6 months but I just wasn't getting the results to justify switching over. That was until Cobre (and Attila) got me thinking about Filarmonicas and then Cobre sold me one. This is one deep dark rabbit hole.

Anyways, I've been using a WD Poor Man's strop. I've nicked it, sanded it and learned how to do a X pattern on it. I'm wanting to get a new strop, something around 3" wide. I'm setting my budget around $100 US.

I have used the search, read the threads and recommendations. The Tony Miller strop is top of my list... but I'm still playing the waiting game. So while I wait, is there another strop that I should consider? Kanayama is intriguing but sits just outside my budget (please keep in mind that the Canadian dollar is dropping almost daily). The SRD roo strop looks like it has potential as well. The Star Shaving Big Daddy is also a contender... but they list it as backordered and I'm still awaiting a response from them (which I've heard could be as long as just waiting for a Tony Miller).

Thoughts? Suggestions? Attempts to enable? All welcome and thanks for you time gentlemen.

Hey Harp there is a local guy who looks like he has a decent strop check out search straight razor on craigs list and it comes up. Haven't seen in person but might be worth looking at. I was at the Copper Hat over in Victoria last week and he just started carrying a new one made over on Salt Spring that was pretty nice as well. Just some more local options.

Thanks for the heads up Jeff. Rusty Razor? I think that's the guy who posts on CL. I'll look into that and the island one when I'm over later this month.

That's him. He also has a Facebook page. The Copper Hat is definitely with a visit. Nice guy makes his own brushes as well.

Top Bottom