What's new

A noob's thoughts during the first week of shaving

To not mess up my morning routine, I have been shaving at night for the interim. Two shaves in - my face is as good or better than with an electric and cart. However, from start to finish, the shaving ritual takes 25 to 30 min. This is with 3 passes (1st time: wtg, xtg, atg ; 2nd time: wtg, wtg, xtg).

I know I shouldn't do ATG but I had to try on my cheeks just to see how smooth it could be. And damn it was smooth.

Are you guys able to get the shaving ritual down to a respectable time? I think once I get it down to 10 to 15 minutes, I'll be comfortable shaving again in the morning.

Also, I am worried that this hobby is turning into an addiction. I just want to shave over and over again to hone my skills to get to BBS. Even this morning, I had the itch and told myself no since I shaved last night.

I am having trouble with the neck area and the moustache area to be DFS, but I feel like that will come with time. And I am not going to rush and force things.

Congrats and welcome.

A couple of points -

All you need is 2 passes and touch-ups. WTG, ATG (or possibly XTG) and touch-ups. Less passes = less chance for irritation.

Speed will come with practice and one less pass. Most guys here can go from lathering to AS splash in 10 minutes.

This can be addictive because it feels so refreshing to get a smooth, clean shave.

Last edited:
Welcome. You will continue to get faster and better shaves the more practice you get. This is addictive but, you're right to fight the itch to shave too often, it will end up giving you irritation and making shaving less enjoyable.

Welcome to B&B!

My shave time has gone down since I started in September 2014. I enjoy the shave ritual and take a leisurely WTG, ATG, and a half pass XTG on the neck/jawline area. It takes me just under 20 minutes.

I expect my shaves to come in under 8 minutes from first splash of water to putting the razor back. Most run around 7.

I don't do 'prep'. I wash my face with hot water & bar soap, rubbing hard with my hand to raise the hairs. Then I make my first pass (about 45-60 seconds in) using the lather from the bar soap. I splash on more hot water, then use Gillette Foamy for my 2nd & 3rd passes. My WTG pass takes about 60 seconds, and my XTG and ATG passes take about 2 minutes each. Rinse well, checking for any patches I need to touch up. Touch up is done without lather, just water. Then I blow across the razor to get any excess water out, rub it against my T-shirt to dry it, and put it in its holder.

A decent shave is possible in 5 minutes. A very good shave is should be less than 8. I only try for BBS if I have time to kill or am experimenting with a new razor. I often time myself with a stopwatch, so I know my times are accurate. A BBS on the cheeks is easy, so I don't mind putting in 30 seconds extra on my cheeks. A BBS on my chin and upper lip is possible, but it can take me 5-6 minutes just on that area! Most days, a CCS+ is plenty good for those areas.

If I want to lotion, I wait 10 minutes while doing other things, then apply a little to my face.

I expect my shaves to come in under 8 minutes from first splash of water to putting the razor back. Most run around 7.

I don't do 'prep'. I wash my face with hot water & bar soap, rubbing hard with my hand to raise the hairs. Then I make my first pass (about 45-60 seconds in) using the lather from the bar soap. I splash on more hot water, then use Gillette Foamy for my 2nd & 3rd passes. My WTG pass takes about 60 seconds, and my XTG and ATG passes take about 2 minutes each. Rinse well, checking for any patches I need to touch up. Touch up is done without lather, just water. Then I blow across the razor to get any excess water out, rub it against my T-shirt to dry it, and put it in its holder.

A decent shave is possible in 5 minutes. A very good shave is should be less than 8. I only try for BBS if I have time to kill or am experimenting with a new razor. I often time myself with a stopwatch, so I know my times are accurate. A BBS on the cheeks is easy, so I don't mind putting in 30 seconds extra on my cheeks. A BBS on my chin and upper lip is possible, but it can take me 5-6 minutes just on that area! Most days, a CCS+ is plenty good for those areas.

If I want to lotion, I wait 10 minutes while doing other things, then apply a little to my face.

I have been getting CCS/CCS+ on the stache and neck areas which i am fine with for now. Is there a reason why you wait 10 minutes before lotioning? Seems like a long time.

^^I wait because the only lotion I've found that doesn't irritate my skin if applied immediately afterward is Gold Bond. If I go do something else for a 10+ minutes, then I can use any skin lotion. Applying a little just before I leave the house works fine for me.

Welcome. You will continue to get faster and better shaves the more practice you get. This is addictive but, you're right to fight the itch to shave too often, it will end up giving you irritation and making shaving less enjoyable.

+1. When I was working I could do a shave in about 15 minutes. Now that I am retired I spend double that time!

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Good idea to not force or rush things; Your shave time will certainly improve with experience and you will enjoy the progress. The way the typical male beard is allows very close shaving on the cheeks using ATG if you want; It tells me your technique is well on the way.

Also, I am worried that this hobby is turning into an addiction.
Mwhuahua too late!

Don't rush, take your time. Map your facial hair before you shave. Only then you can apply the passes into the proper direction. I know many people don't say this but it will improve your shaves a lot.

I can do 3 passes within 15 minutes. If I can do it you can do it too, it's nothing special.

Mwhuahua too late!

Don't rush, take your time. Map your facial hair before you shave. Only then you can apply the passes into the proper direction. I know many people don't say this but it will improve your shaves a lot.

I can do 3 passes within 15 minutes. If I can do it you can do it too, it's nothing special.

It really is too late. I have been consistently checking out vintage razors on eBay and found some cool sites like http://www.razoremporium.com/ with refurbed razors.

Buy a cheapo and refurb it myself or buy one that has already been refurbed. FML!

If any one wants to get rid of an older razor they no longer use, I am accepting PMs. Thanks!

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Like the other gentlemen have said, speed will come in time with practice. Personally, I don't like to do 5-10 minute shaves. I shave in the evening when I can take my time and enjoy it. I find it to be like getting a nice, juicy steak and eating it as fast as possible. Sure, it still will taste great, but it's more pleasurable to take your time and savor the flavor.

Good idea to not force or rush things; Your shave time will certainly improve with experience and you will enjoy the progress. The way the typical male beard is allows very close shaving on the cheeks using ATG if you want; It tells me your technique is well on the way.
+1

I, too, have just began DE shaving. And I have to say that it is an amazing experience! The neck seems to be a trouble zone for a lot of people, including myself. It's such a drastic change coming from cartidges...

Congrats and welcome.

A couple of points -

All you need is 2 passes and touch-ups. WTG, ATG (or possibly XTG) and touch-ups. Less passes = less chance for irritation.

Speed will come with practice and one less pass. Most guys here can go from lathering to AS splash in 10 minutes.

This can be addictive because it feels so refreshing to get a smooth, clean shave.

Bingo! This is great advice. Stick to two passes at first - WTG then XTG. ATG raises your chances of rash. Some guys can go ATG, some quite simply cannot (I never do). Don't obsess over BBS or a perfect shave every time. With practice you'll be doing 10 min shaves no problem. Keep it simple and enjoy :001_smile

Congrats on your new DE passion.

I've always been a night shaver and since using a DE I really like to take my time and enjoy the process, it might take a 1/2 hour some nights and I go to bed feeling wonderful!!! Only problem is I'm always feeling my face when I wake up with 7 hours growth, I start my day at the office by 6am and don't want to rush a shave or give up that 1/2 hour of sleep. I can't wait for weekend shaves so I can pamper myself in the morning and enjoy a great shave all day when most of my friends take the weekend off from shaving..

Top Bottom