What's new

How many times do you use your DE blade?

How many shaves do you get from your favorite DE blade?

• 5-7

• 7+

• My shaves are always comfortable, and my mileage varies

• Until I chisel up a new face

• I use the blunt edges also to make it last longer b/c metal prices are skyrocketing

Results are only viewable after voting.
Alright, this question comes up all the time, and this isn't the first time that somebody set up the question as a poll. And my answer isn't on this poll either. That's because...

The only accurate answer to "How many shaves from a single blade" is that one can expect to get anywhere from one to many shaves from the blade, with some blades not even making it through the first shave. That's true with all brands of blades.

Just collecting data to see what it averages out to. Sorry I missed the obvious...I'm sure it's been done to death, but as more and more new people join, the loads of articles available to them may be of good help.

So you should answer, on average how many you get per your favorite blade.

Thanks for looking :)

Four is my limit tops. I'm usually rotating between DE's, straights, GEM's, Injector's and my beloved Mach3 (don't laugh! it has sentimental value) during any given week. Whenever I pick up a new shaver, a new blade or catridge goes right in.
Ernest

I was thinking about this the other day.. if someone does 4 passes and uses a blade 3 times, do they get the same amount of "wear" as someone that does 2 passes and uses the blade 3 times?

I use my DE blade until it's done.

Sometimes that's three shaves, sometimes it's five. As soon as it's not comfortable to use it goes in the trash.

I used to wait until it got uncomfortable but no more. My hair are like iron rots going through foam. So even though the blade may still be usable, I like it sharp to minimize skin issues.

My WCS pack should be here soon, can't wait to try some reds.

I am inclined to only use feathers at the moment since I started using them. (no nicks or irritation, though it took some practice to get that)

People say you shouldnt go past 3 with them and I totally agree, so its 3 uses and out. At 30c (USD) a blade/200 blades I dont really care as the cost is nominal.

But 3 shaves, 4 passes per shave = 12 shaves?

Pierce

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Alright, this question comes up all the time, and this isn't the first time that somebody set up the question as a poll. And my answer isn't on this poll either. That's because...

The only accurate answer to "How many shaves from a single blade" is that one can expect to get anywhere from one to many shaves from the blade, with some blades not even making it through the first shave. That's true with all brands of blades.

I to, have thrown out brand new blades. While actual results may vary widely, I prefer to change frequently to avoid a bad shave before it starts.

I was thinking about this the other day.. if someone does 4 passes and uses a blade 3 times, do they get the same amount of "wear" as someone that does 2 passes and uses the blade 3 times?

Try not to over think it. Blades are the cheapest part of this hobby.

I like to use 'em 2-3 times because they aren't as expensive as carts...

Ditto.

I can get three two-pass shaves from a Feather. The other blades I have tried only rate two shaves or less.

I used to wait until it got uncomfortable but no more. My hair are like iron rots going through foam. So even though the blade may still be usable, I like it sharp to minimize skin issues.

My WCS pack should be here soon, can't wait to try some reds.

I haven't used Feathers, but agree about the others, at 10 cents a blade why risk a bad shave?

One easy method I learned from another member is the following. Is there a blade in the razor? If no, load a blade and shave. Leave the blade in the razor for the next shave. If the answer is yes, shave with the blade in the razor and then toss the blade and leave the razor empty. This way you will never use a blade more than twice and save all the hassle of changing blades after you discover mid shave that you should have changed before starting.

Two shaves (4 passes each) with a Feather for me regardless of how comfortable the second shave was. Why risk it? And, good idea regarding leaving the razor empty; I'm going to give that a go.

-mm

I get 5-7 and don't feel like, for me anyway, there any reason to toss a blade after a few uses unless it's one of the store-bought brands - those only last two shaves at most. I have, on occasion, changed out a blade sooner than 5 shaves, but I generally use a blade until it gets to feeling 'off', and that's about 5-7 shaves for me. It's not for cost reasons, I just don't like wasting things when there is still some use in them. For what it's worth, I've got a light colored beard that is not overly stiff, and I usually have time to do a nice hot towel soak before shaving each day.

- R

the average of this kind of polls is around 3.7

I guess I mught as well answer. 4 for de 7 for feather AC

Edit: Sorry, I did not see it was supposed to be only DE

Top Bottom