What's new

Some Plisson Transplant

Not really. The metal ring is a good 4 mm wider than the "hair" is, so one would need a hole of 26.4 mm to get the metal inside. The knot size is only 22 mm. I doubt one would get the effect one expects when setting the knot deeper - a less floppy, moppy brush and more backbone with much less splay.
Of course that makes sense. As already mentioned above, how about cutting off the extra metal?

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Would we be able to shave off the extra 'lip' to be able to set the knot lower?

Are you planning on offering the transplant service to the general public? I have a backup brush but would be interested in retrofitting it into a new handle when the time comes.

I sure do, all the brushes you saw are customer supplied L'Occitane/Plisson brushes and I freed the knots and transplanted them into new handles. Removing the metal lip is a project I am working on at the moment, but it is not something I offer right now - need to find a good safe way.

Understand about the Plisson metal lip. What about transplanting a Grooming Company New Gen Synth? It appears to be the same knot/fibers as the Plisson, but is already at a loft of 50mm. Just curious.

I sure do, all the brushes you saw are customer supplied L'Occitane/Plisson brushes and I freed the knots and transplanted them into new handles. Removing the metal lip is a project I am working on at the moment, but it is not something I offer right now - need to find a good safe way.

South Plainfield eh? I grew up in Piscataway and went to a religiously affiliated school in Edison. Hell I went to college right there on Busch.

Small world. =)

Rudy Vey

Understand about the Plisson metal lip. What about transplanting a Grooming Company New Gen Synth? It appears to be the same knot/fibers as the Plisson, but is already at a loft of 50mm. Just curious.

Never seen these, where are they sold??

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
While the Grooming Company knot is the same type hair, the glue bump in the TGC knot is raised pretty high up within the knot. Seems like it makes the knot which is set at 50 mm, perform more like a 45 mm knot. It seemed stiff and didn't splay at all unless forced.

Rudy, my Plisson handle is starting to have damage from water. What wood is the 3rd and 4th picture (looks like olive or eucalyptus burl) and what's the cost and lead time on a transplant into a similar handle?

Rudy Vey

Rudy, my Plisson handle is starting to have damage from water. What wood is the 3rd and 4th picture (looks like olive or eucalyptus burl) and what's the cost and lead time on a transplant into a similar handle?

It is resin stabilized MapleBurl, an excellent quality with high figure. Cost we can discuss via email ([email protected]) as each individual has different requirements, turn around is short, say less than a week. Most of my work is done on weekends as I travel a bit for my job, but I do some of the transplant also during the week when I am home. It comes in, lets say on a Monday, it would go out by the next week Monday as the longest.

I posted on another thread how my Plisson pour L'Occitane knot had fallen out of the handle.

$IMG_0661.jpg

I couldn't find a way to make it fit back into the handle so I contacted Rudy Vey to discuss options. We quickly settled on putting the knot into a butterscotch beehive handle and he turned it around very quickly.

Yesterday, I got it back and here it is - (Rudy's pic) - this is my brush and it works great. I love the handle - infinitely better quality than the original handle - with a nice heft and terrific craftsmanship.

$IMG_2358.jpg

Almost time to replant my Cade Plisson. The handle is starting to bubble at the base.

Is there a link to see what materials you have?

Thanks Rudy!

also note the grooming company brushes vary a lot as far as loft. now im not sure if its the knot itself or how its set into the handle. but of the 4 (have owned 7 total sold off 3 of them also my wife owns a white one and i have bought one for a family member who liked hers. so i am pretty familiar with them) i have none are the same loft. the lowest is 47-48mm and the highest one is almost 54mm at the peak. the other two are about just a hair under 50 and right about 52. and only 2 of them have a huge glue bump in the knot. the other 2 have a bump but its much smaller. this makes me wonder if its plisson that makes the knots or if whoever does just buys the "hairs" from them and makes them. imo they def need better qc. the knots also seem to vary a lot in density and some lean to one side. i only kept these 4 to transplant at some point.

Rudy Vey

Almost time to replant my Cade Plisson. The handle is starting to bubble at the base.

Is there a link to see what materials you have?

Thanks Rudy!

Send me an email and I send you pictures of the actual stock on hand. Its easier for this way as the inventory always changes.

Top Bottom