What's new

Merkur Futur comes tomorrow!

Hey everyone,
Been DE shaving for about 3-4 months now I would guess. Started out with a horrible utopia long handle razor from amazon. It was super aggressive, and uneven! Since got my Merkur 34c for Xmas and have been loving it. Although once I got the hang of the angle and everything I've been wanting something more aggressive and wanting to try an adjsutable. Recently I have been shaving with the 34c with 2 blade shims to make it more aggressive, and I like my shave alot more this way.
I originally bought a Slim adjustable form ebay but the one I got had an uneven blade gap so I returned it and a got a refund. Then on my search for another one, I decided to switch to a Merkur Futur. Mine comes tomorrow, so excited! :w00t: I've already read some threads on the problems they have and plan to disassemble it when I receive it, clean and sanitize it and then reassemble and make sure everything is even before giving it the first shave this Sunday.

I plan to start out on setting number 2 and adjust from there up or down in .5 increments. I would think that since I currently use my 34c with 2 shims that the Futur should not be too aggressive for me on 2. Anyone disagree and think I should start on 1, or should I be ok? Thanks!
Also any other input on what to look for when reassembling to insure an even blade gap on all sides.

You probably have read the reports that the Futur causes a lot of cuts to the hands and fingers ... I got bit twice by it.

That's the only thing I would tell you to watch out for. That snap-cap for some reason isn't user-friendly, so you need to always pay attention to what you're doing.

You'll also need to go through the Blade Sampling routine again. The Futur is a whole different animal from the 34C. I tried a half-dozen or so brands and decided on Super Iridium as the best match. The others were either too sharp, too dull, or had a tendency to "chatter" when I did a pass. The Super Iridium was just right. If you can't find SI any more, I think PolSilver is the same thing. Of course, you might find a different brand works best for you.

I got some great shaves with my Futur, but after it cut me the second time, I put it away and never used it again.

Man, you are so far ahead of me! On a trip last week to Las Vegas, there is an AOS store in our hotel--I mentioned to my wife, who is encouraging and, I think, mildly amused at my new hobby, that I wanted to visit as there is no place to buy WS goodies in our home town.

I pointed out the Merkurs were considered to be an excellent razor. While I slept the sleep of the innocent, she snuck down and over-paid for a Futur (she knows I love my Gillette adjustable). Lacking any info on the Futur (no internet) I commenced to butcher my self on the first pass!

I am now using an electric (and hating it) until my face has healed. I am anxious to get back on the Futur--beautifully made--and expect it will be one of my favorites when--and if--I learn how to use it--

Sounds like you already are far ahead of me in your shaving ability/knowledge. Suspect you will follow up this thread by exclaiming on what a great BBS you got! Best of Luck!

Last edited:
Dpm802 thanks for the reply. When you say cuts you mean the blade cut your hand because of the cap design? Was this during adjusting the razor? Or how did it cut you?
I did go through the blade smaller routine, just settled on Gillette 7 o'clock blacks and received an order of 56, do hopefully those will work well in the futur.

Polock, thanks for the vote of confidence lol! May I ask what setting you tried initially with the merkur? And what do you typically use on your Gillette?
The big difference for me in achieving bbs (everywhere except parts of my neck that I've yet to achieve) was the razor angle thread. I realized my angle was too steep, once I flattened out mt angle some, it was on like donkey Kong
😀
Thanks for the kind words! Will definitely post first shave review here

Dpm802 thanks for the reply. When you say cuts you mean the blade cut your hand because of the cap design? Was this during adjusting the razor? Or how did it cut you?

Yes, I got deep cuts on my hand. Once on each thumb. The first time, I picked it up by the head when it was loaded. The second, I held it by the sharp side of the blade when I twisted the handle to adjust the gap.

Really dumb mistakes, I know. But its never happened to me with any other razor, and it happened twice in two months with the Futur. That's why I stopped using it. (I really should sell it and get it out of here once and for all.)

You'll hear similar stories from many other members, always about this one particular razor. It works great when you put it to work on your face. Its your hands and fingers you have to watch out for.

Thanks for that! You may well have saved me some bloodshed. I did watch a video today where the gentleman doing the review said he felt uncomfortable adjusting the handle while holding the cap. He suggested putting the head down on a towel on the counter top and then turning the handle. I will definitely imploy that strategy after hearing your experience

Truthfully, I bear some blame for my Futur injuries. As I usually dial in "5" on my Gillette, I ASSUMED that the Futur had the same adjustment range! So, I started on "4" (just to be safe)----the sink ran red!

Next day--glutton for punishment that I am--plus the wife being omnipresent in the hotel room--I dialed down to "2", still with some bleeders.
I am confident that I'll get it together--while I am letting my face heal, will be searching for all posts that mention 'Futur'--that is how I found this one!! Knowledge is power--

mswofford

Rest in Peace
It wouldn't hurt to do your first Futur shave on a setting of 1. If everything goes okay it's only one day before a step increase.

Some good advice above. The Futur is a razor very different from what you are using. One danger to your fingers is when you try to open the head to remove the blade. Here is a good video on how to do it.

Just got the confirmation that its been delivered to my house, but I wont be home for another couple of hours! Oh the humanity!!!! :lol:

It's here!

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1422676337291.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1422676337291.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 142
It wouldn't hurt to do your first Futur shave on a setting of 1. If everything goes okay it's only one day before a step increase.

Agreed...especially as the OP is coming from the Merkur HD. A setting of 1 on the Futur is where I would recommend starting. I started at 3 and was shocked how aggressive it was when I got my Futur.

I' ve never understood all the worries about replacing the blade in the Futur ...been doing this without any problem for a while now. I never even touched the edge of the blade, because I didn't have to. So don't worry, if you pay attention to what you're doing, no cuts will occur. I started to use mine on 1.5 and dialled up to 4 in a week or so, for me that is the right proportion of aggressiveness and smooth result. If in a hurry, I dial it up to 6 and have a one pass WTG only. As for the blades, Astras and Feather work just fine, the latter requiring some attention though. :)

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO........how was it?
Haha first shave will be this evening when I get home from the motocross track! Can't wait! It's assembled correctly and blade gap is even all around. Fresh 7 o'clock black loaded and ready for action!

Top Bottom