What's new

Fluoride in your water - Does it change your shave?

Hey guys I've been thinking about water with or without fluoride for shaving.

I can see hard water making a larger impact on your lather but I'm just curious if anybody has any experience with fluoride affecting them or not.

Now I'm no chemical scientist so I can only do a little guesswork.

So guys, does fluoride ruin your day by ruining your lather?

Fluoridation of drinking water is forbidden here (Netherlands), so I would not know.

I think the water in most European countries is not fluoridated as well, so I'm not sure if it makes a noticable difference.

Flouride may be marginally good for our teeth and bad for our bones since it will be taken up in lieu of Calcium but I can't see it affecting shaving at all.

I can see hard water making a larger impact on your lather but I'm just curious if anybody has any experience with fluoride affecting them or not.

They discussed the effects of flouride in the movie
"Dr. Strangelove"

I used either bottled water, or rain water when I can collect enough. Both give me a much creamier lather than our tap water here in Garland.

According to the USA CDC, nearly 75% of those on community water systems are receiving fluoride.
http://www.cdc.gov/fluoridation/statistics/2012stats.htm
The amount that is added is still minuscule at less than 1 part per million (ppm), and typically 0.7 ppm compared to 0.3 ppm that typically occurs in nature, though some groundwater systems may actually have a higher concentration in areas that are rich in fluoride.
At such a small level that is really not that far off from what occurs naturally, it is unlikely that fluoridation of community water systems makes an impact on lathering, or most any other everyday use for water.

Here in Australia, water fluoridation does occur. Its hard to know whether it affects the shave lather or not. Our water here is also hard, but i think that affects lather a lot more than fluoride. When i traveled across Europe, where the water is softer, i did notice it was a bit easier to lather. But again, that's due to water softness, not fluoride.

According to the USA CDC, nearly 75% of those on community water systems are receiving fluoride.
http://www.cdc.gov/fluoridation/statistics/2012stats.htm
The amount that is added is still minuscule at less than 1 part per million (ppm), and typically 0.7 ppm compared to 0.3 ppm that typically occurs in nature, though some groundwater systems may actually have a higher concentration in areas that are rich in fluoride.
At such a small level that is really not that far off from what occurs naturally, it is unlikely that fluoridation of community water systems makes an impact on lathering, or most any other everyday use for water.

What he said. At a concentration of 1ppm, it will have zero effect on your soap lather....

Seeing as how I do not shave my teeth, I am going to say "no".

Fluoride doesn't bother me. But we also had an e.coli scare in the city water supply over the last two days. Thankfully it was false positive results. Now I can get my shave on.

Top Bottom