What's new

Razor Running. Advice Needed with the Mrs.

Well, I have RAD and it is quite bad. Yesterday I had three razors arrive in the mail, and my wife 'discovered' I have an opened an eBay account in which I have been doing these purchases. Although not an expensive habit (everything is relative), she is frustrated about my RAD. She doesn't see any value or reason I would want to buy old, tarnished razors, clean them up, and just keep them.

This isn't the first time I have been bitten by this type of disorder. I have become quite proficient at 'gun running', 'blade running' and even 'club running' (golf). But Razor Running is proving to be much more difficult. There are very few antique stores around (only two in fact) that I have been able to purchase old razors, the rest have to be through website ordering - and then they arrive via Postal Mail. Obviously she gets the mail before I arrive home from my job and thus Razor Running is nearly impossible. What solutions have you employed for Razor Running? Let's here how creative you have gotten. I am close to changing the mailing location to my work address, but my employer doesn't like that...

BTW, I have three more razors on their way to my house that she doesn't know about - AND she has no idea I have sent a couple out for plating. This is going to get hairy. :blush:

BTW, I have three more razors on their way to my house that she doesn't know about - AND she has no idea I have sent a couple out for plating. This is going to get hairy.

Good luck

$giphy (13).gif

I advise not to lie or sneak, it is a recipe for disaster.

Hey listen, tell her this is my house, I pay the bills around here, Im buying what I want, when I want it....

Disclaimer: If your face is red with the imprint of a hand on it after saying this please dont come crying to me.

No, no, no...I would never seriously mean any that...the best approach is to obviously kiss her toes, rub her feet and shoulders, then politely ask, hunny, is it ok if...hopefully you will get somewhere with that approach. Oh and buy flowers...always buy flowers.

You could get a post office box...or have them delivered to a third party who can leave the packages duct-taped to a park bench for a "dead drop" pickup.

Or you could start buying vintage razors for her...:001_rolle

Budgeting is the easiest solution. Make sure that each of you have a certain capped amount of money that you get each month for spending on whatever you want. Don't go over your limit, and she'll have nothing to complain about.

I sold several razors on the B/S/T a while back, and the buyer mentioned something to the effect, "It would be better to ship these to my work address." I always wondered if it was on of these 'running' situations.

All of this is excellent advise. I actually did sell something to fund the RAD, but the money is not the issue with my wife - its the fact that I have RAD.

I like the dead drop idea, underneath a park bench. I'm thinking a covered hole in the desert, ala 'Breaking Bad'. If I went with a PO Box - then things would get crazy if she found that out... a secret PO Box?! I'm talking, throw my stuff out of the house crazy.

Need to get a partner in crime, err partner... preferably a single guy so he doesn't have a wife to rat me out.

All of this is excellent advise. I actually did sell something to fund the RAD, but the money is not the issue with my wife - its the fact that I have RAD.

I like the dead drop idea, underneath a park bench. I'm thinking a covered hole in the desert, ala 'Breaking Bad'. If I went with a PO Box - then things would get crazy if she found that out... a secret PO Box?! I'm talking, throw my stuff out of the house crazy.

Need to get a partner in crime, err partner... preferably a single guy so he doesn't have a wife to rat me out.

If it's not the money, then just talk to her about it. Some guys like to fix up old cars. Some like to collect stamps. You're a collector, and you go through phases. If she feels she's being heard and her concerns are being addressed, she'll cool out somewhat.

The problem with the dead drop idea is that you're already headed for trouble with the six new razors you've got coming in. She's going to know about those, so a confrontation is on the way. Better to head it off at the pass.

And ultimately, even if you enlist a partner in crime, you're not going to be able to use any of the stuff you bought if it's a secret. If it's in your house she'll find it. If you're sneaking around she'll know.

There's a fine line between a collector and a sneaky duplicitous weirdo hoarder. Make sure you're on the right side of it.

Be sincere and open, but above all else be honest. Just say "Honey, this wet shaving hobby will save me so much money on cartridges and canned goop."

Try to keep a straight face while stating the pertinent facts.

I see this in your future my friend!!

$Joan-and-Greg.gif
$article-2082931-0F59B2CA00000578-97_468x553.jpg
$throwing-clothes-out-window.jpg

On a serious note, have you talked to your post man? Do you have a mail box at the end of your driveway, or does a mail man walk up to your house and deliver? If so, you could try and talk to him and maybe come up with a plan where he could set these small packages delivered to you under a chair somewhere, in a corner, maybe set them inside a cooler, or something like that. You could also have them delivered to your work address, that would be the safest way. I still think the best approach though is to talk to your wife and be honest and truthful, being sneaky always gets you in trouble. Im telling you, a good back rub and some flowers along with a soft voice, the whole, "you know you look just as beautiful as the day I married you" line usually helps me out with the purchases I wasnt supposed to make.

First I would encourage going the honesty route and "selling" your new collecting hobby to her. Women are weird. We lie about buying razors because "hey, it's just a razor". To a woman, it's about trust and relationships, yada yada yada. Any lie is a HUGE lie to them, and they think if you will lie about a razor, what else is he willing to lie about. Opens a can of worms that you don't want opened.

That said, if all else fails, have them shipped to your office. That's what I do :thumbup:

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I like to offer worse alternatives: I was going to collect motorcycles (drugs, girlfriends - your choice) but I thought you'd like this better.

My actual solution is to have my own little bank account and insist that if I don't buy whatever I want it is a ridiculous entity.

Wow, your in a pickle buddy. Same thing here...I would get razors and my wife would say why I need more. I just sent them to the house. If I intercepted them first then cool, no knowledge. If she gets the mail then ya I would fess up.

I think you should bite the bullet on this and just tell her when the first razor arrives. Like someone said, women are obsessed with the "honesty" thing. Ya, just a razor but what else are you hiding. I bought my wife a Gillette Starburst and she loves it! Maybe she can partake in this with you a little.

The Starburst worked for me. I picked one up so my 5 y.o. daughter could play shave in the tub, just like her mom. One night I offered to lather the wifes legs and give her a shave. It was the smoothest shave she ever had. I had to order in some "feminenly" scented soaps and Seafoam B&B Boar brush, so she would quit using my good stuff!

Top Bottom