What's new

Mechanical Engineer Interview suit

Well I am getting older, my son is getting ready for his Mechanical Engineer Degree very shortly. He will have a job fair in a couple of weeks, so of course, he will need a suit. I am not loaded with money so we have to be conservative on the costs.

Solid blue or charcoal? White shirt? Black Shoes? What type of tie?

What are your thoughts?

Thank you...

Definitely go classic. You sound like you have the right ideas. Personally, I think charcoal works better than navy blue for the "Marryin' and Buryin'" kinda suit. White shirt and black shoes are also good choices. As for the tie, it shouldn't be anything too wild.

For reference, I am a Mechanical Engineer. If that makes a difference. Then again, perhaps getting fashion advice from an engineer isn't the best move to make. :)

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

Charcoal (or some sort of darkish grey) for the suit is my preference, slightly, and it has the added benefit of allowing him to make his next purchase a navy blazer and having two actual "different" looks.

White shirt, check.

Black shoes, check.

Tie ... mainly blue or red, with a small repeating pattern, or no pattern at all.

Yes on the charcoal.

As to the shirt whether white or blue a button collar is more casual, no button on the collar more dressy.

Black shoes, black belt.

Should not need to be said but solid dark socks - the trend at the moment is toward wild socks.

Have him do homework on the company he is interviewing and bring one pertinent question that shows insight. If he wants them to remember him ask them a good question such as, "I see you acquired a competitor two years ago - how did the assimilation go?"

Have him ready for some deeper questions such as, "What frustrates you?" They are not concerned as much about his degree as they are whether he is a good fit for the organization. My son is a mechanical engineer and it has been rewarding for him.

Good luck!

All good advice so far. My preference, if I only had to have one, suit would be a charcoal (2 button with side vents). I'd also suggest he consider flat front with no cuffs (others have personal preference of course, but given his age that would be my opinion). Shirt would be white or light blue (no button down collar). Tie advice (and sock) above is spot on in my view. I would just add to stay away from the trendy "retro" skinny ties and stay with something a little more traditional. Shoes I'd say black shoes - with laces. Many people wear slip on dress shoes which I never cared for with a suit, but especially an interview suit. My go-to would be cap toes or wing tips (and of course well shined, lol).

Another similar style suggestion (straying from the topic a bit) is jelwery. I'd say watch (and wedding ring is applicable) is the most you should generally wear. I still remember interviewing a young guy out of school at my compnay who had tons of casual and cause awarness bracelets on. It kind of stuck out at me. Would I not hire someone because of that? Of course not---but why take attention away from anything he's trying to say to impress them.

Best of luck to him!

Last edited:
I'm not sure what your price range is so I cannot throw out specific brands, but I would say a charcoal or navy suit (personally I'd go Navy). Black shoes/belt with both. A white shirt with some texture below or a solid light blue shirt. Tasteful tie to go with everything. Fit of the clothes will make a huge difference on how everything looks. I wish I knew then what I know now about suits and how they should fit, especially as a younger guy.

Thank you every one so far that has posted. Each of you has added to my thoughts for my son.

His first suit is actually the toughest because once dear ol dad finds out his size, I can scour my sources for excellent pre-owned top quality name brand and then have them tailored and when he gets his career started, he can buy his own.

We are 60 to 90 miles to the nearest mall/men's store other than a Penney's locally.

I would go black suit with a conservative solid color shirt and conservative tie. solid black socks, black shoes, and black belt.

My interview suits were (I guess are since is still have them) a solid black 2 button with a herring bone texture and another one that was black 3 button with very thing periwinkle pinstripes.

If you can get to a Men's Warehouse, go when they are doing their buy one get one free suit sale. it is worth it.

Project Engineer here

Black suits are for funerals and nightclub bouncers.

Blue suit. Dark brown shoes with belt to match. White shirt. Simple tie, striped is good, no crazy patterns or overly bright colors.

The second suit should be grey or charcoal.

Most important thing with suits is fit. Most men buy suits that are too big. Get the right size and have it tailored.

Something to remember with suits is that, as with most other things, you get what you pay for. Cheap suits are glued, not stitched, and they will come apart with repeated dry cleaning. Make sure your son learns about caring for a suit, as well.

J. Crew offers very good Italian made suits via its website. They go on sale regularly and they offer free shipping. Might be good if you're far from a mall.

Amen to this. Best wishes for a successful interview.

All good advice so far. My preference, if I only had to have one, suit would be a charcoal (2 button with side vents). I'd also suggest he consider flat front with no cuffs (others have personal preference of course, but given his age that would be my opinion). Shirt would be white or light blue (no button down collar). Tie advice (and sock) above is spot on in my view. I would just add to stay away from the trendy "retro" skinny ties and stay with something a little more traditional. Shoes I'd say black shoes - with laces. Many people wear slip on dress shoes which I never cared for with a suit, but especially an interview suit. My go-to would be cap toes or wing tips (and of course well shined, lol).

Another similar style suggestion (straying from the topic a bit) is jelwery. I'd say watch (and wedding ring is applicable) is the most you should generally wear. I still remember interviewing a young guy out of school at my compnay who had tons of casual and cause awarness bracelets on. It kind of stuck out at me. Would I not hire someone because of that? Of course not---but why take attention away from anything he's trying to say to impress them.

Best of luck to him!

I hire and interview engineers occasionally. Every company culture is different but in this day and age suit color is not going to make and break the impression.

As others have said and I'll add my own. Not in any particular order.
1. Make sure the suit fits, if it doesn't just wear the best fitting and clean business wear you have.
2. Be well groomed. Qualities I look for in an engineer is attention to detail, not fashion sense, really (unless he is a sales engineer).
3. Have him practice interviews, video and have him watch himself. After that experience the last thing he will feel to need to correct is his apparel.
4. Color and complexion work together, some people look better in blue, others in gray. Go to JosBank or MW and try some on, some of those salespeople are really good at match style with body and face, others not so much.

What an interesting question and one that I did not expect on a shaving forum.

Dark suit, color is not really important, leather shoes matching belt color, again dark but color not that important. The key is conservative and neat, and especially not flashy. He will be interviewed by two groups basically: engineers and managers and neither one will be favorably impressed with flashiness. Both groups will also not remember what color his shoes are five minutes after the interview, which is a characteristic of the people generally found in those jobs.

The degree, including GPA if it comes with any Latin, and the school where the degree was given will mean something for his first job, not so much after that. But all of that will be known to those doing the interviewing beforehand if they care (most large companies do, most small companies do not). The key IMO is that the candidate leaves the interviewer, especially the immediate superior, with the belief that hiring that person will make his / her job easier and better, and absolutely not the other way around under any circumstances. Things like 'easy to get along with', 'competent' and literally 'Hey, I kinda' liked him / her' are great: things like 'difficult' or 'abrasive' in any form are deal- killers. And contrary to a lot of common opinion, laid- back, easy going attitude is better received then the fire- eater that so many H.R. types will suggest one present.

Besides all of that, engineers are not particularly discerning or sensitive people. :lol:

The very best of luck for your son.

Brian

Well I am getting older, my son is getting ready for his Mechanical Engineer Degree very shortly. He will have a job fair in a couple of weeks, so of course, he will need a suit. I am not loaded with money so we have to be conservative on the costs.

What are your thoughts?

Thank you...

Where will he be interviewing? My two roommates were ME majors. Neither required a suit for the interview, and DEFINATELY do not require suits or even ties for the office.

Its awesome of you to go ahead and get him a good suit, however it may be overkill depending on where he is interviewing. Yea, its always good to be well dressed. If we were hiring an engineer at the plant I work in, a suit would be WAY overkill. I was actually told not even to wear a tie to the interview by the recruiter.

I'll echo Ed. My experience has been that most engineering depts are business casual although the smaller private engineering firms seem to be more formal.

However, I've yet to see an engineering interiew without a suit.

Finally, if it is a college job fair a suit is not hugely important. Dressing neatly and cleanly will work if need be.

It is a college job fair at Missouri S&T in Rolla Mo. The professors are coaching and training the graduates on how to present themselves to this companies that are looking to hire young engineers.

BDF....thank you for the compliment about this question. This whole non-shaving portion of the site was started out of "The Barbershop", which I was the moderator for years. I use to start threads out of this world for discussions. This caused this place to grow expotentially to what it is today. I think I am glad to be retired from it, it is a lot of work.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I can't add anything that hasn't already been said.
But I do want to say good luck to your son!

Blue or charcoal with brown leather...like a skraight biznass G
Kinda sober tie, nothing distracting

Only button the top, maybe two...unbutton completely before sitting...also practice his alpha male walk and keep dominantly honest but not quite psychotic level eye contact

Be straight forward, use mild dry witty humor if the chance arises but dont force

Pretty much...just act like me :)

I can't say enough good things about my suit from Combatant Gentleman. Didn't get any love when I mentioned it here, but it sure did when I took it to the tailor, and when I wore it. Beats the pants off (no pun intended) of anything from Jos A Banks or the like, that's for sure!

Top Bottom