What's new

oil on thuri ok?

Out of curiosity, why do you feel the need to max-out on a coti followed by a Thuri? Max-out on a coticule at the end, okay, but followed by a Thuri?

Mainly because (and i really can't stress this point enough) I have no clue as to what I'm doing. I (thought I) had heard to max out the edge on a finsher and then the thuri can "add that last little bit" of keen & smooth.

Since I was finally starting to see some difference in the edge between coti on water only and coti on oil or soap or glycerin only (first time of getting any HHT right off the stone -insert happy dance here-) I was just thinking (anybody smell smoke again?) that the next step was thuri and what to do on it.

Mainly because (and i really can't stress this point enough) I have no clue as to what I'm doing. I (thought I) had heard to max out the edge on a finsher and then the thuri can "add that last little bit" of keen & smooth.

Since I was finally starting to see some difference in the edge between coti on water only and coti on oil or soap or glycerin only (first time of getting any HHT right off the stone -insert happy dance here-) I was just thinking (anybody smell smoke again?) that the next step was thuri and what to do on it.

I agree with Arphilli its a usable way to move like this if preferred...shurely you could stay with the Coti Edge if well done...i think the Thuri will put in a bit more sharpness and probably a certain "Thuri" Like smoothness...but thats all..

I appreciate your candor. Sorry, I didn't mean to rain on the parade if you were celebrating the edge off a coticule like that. In any case, moving to a Thuri with water wouldn't cause a problem IMO. (Some folks like to take a sharp edge and shroud it in Thuri smoothness.) It's just that moving to a Thuri after seeking to "heighten" the coticule's effectiveness seemed redundant to me. But then again, this is a guy who just had a pretty nice shave off a BBW (first time I tried this).

Last edited:
No rain here. I'm glad when I (as rarely as it is) have sense enough to ask first before I mess something up.

Top Bottom