What's new

oil on thuri ok?

now that I have your attention....
:001_rolle

I know that it is specifically verboten to use oil (does it make 'em melt like water and witches?) but how about soap and or glycerin. If they make a coti finish better, can a thuri be improved with the same technique?

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I have a little eBay 5x1 thuri that had oil in it when I got it. Water would bead on the surface, and the slurry would get clumpy and all stuck together. It sucked. Don't do it.
If you want to try something different why not try lather?

I have a little eBay 5x1 thuri that had oil in it when I got it. Water would bead on the surface, and the slurry would get clumpy and all stuck together. It sucked. Don't do it.
If you want to try something different why not try lather?

That's what I was after, since some soaps have glycerin, would it be OK (it just is neater for me) to just use glycerin/water or dish soap/water mix?

David

I haven't used those personally so I'm reluctant to say yes. Wait and see what some other guys say.

David

Are you having trouble with your thuri or just wanting to try something different?

I tried oil. Didn't do anything I liked. but it cleaned out ok. Try it if you must ;) I get the best results just using water to slurry.

But if you are not getting the edges you expect from the thuri maybe you should look at the stone you use before it. The edge has to be really well finished for the thuri to work. Otherwise you're just shining up the bevel a little

I tried oil. Didn't do anything I liked. but it cleaned out ok. Try it if you must ;) I get the best results just using water to slurry.

But if you are not getting the edges you expect from the thuri maybe you should look at the stone you use before it. The edge has to be really well finished for the thuri to work. Otherwise you're just shining up the bevel a little

This. Thuris do not remove much steel. On straight water pretty much none. If you're getting good edges from your Thuri your razor shouldn't be wanting in keenness or smoothness, there's not a whole lot of room for improvement, IMO. Try it out and report back though. The stuff people do on cotis is mainly because they leave a lot deeper scratches, so little tweaks to make them shallower seem to help a bit. Thuri scratches are pretty much barely there to begin with.

My report wouldn't be worth much

mainly because my attempts at sharpening seem to have no resemblance to actually sharpening a razor........

now that I have your attention....
:001_rolle

I know that it is specifically verboten to use oil (does it make 'em melt like water and witches?) but how about soap and or glycerin. If they make a coti finish better, can a thuri be improved with the same technique?

Just dont understand the approach, you should get very nice edges from thuris without using anything more then slurry of the stone and plain water....

I wouldnt use oil and i wouldnt use Glycerine at any time...
What should be improved on the result a thuri gives ?

As i own a lot of stones i understand the approach to push edges further more sharp and smooth and try out 20k and 30k stones and whatever...after trying a lot of stones the past 2 years i personally decided for me that the Thuri is always in the Top 3...

Nothing wrong with pushing the envelope. Well - as long as one realizes that the cleanup might not be fun.

If one is seeking auto-slurrying from the stone, I don't see the point of introducing additives to water here. Water tends to raise the grain of a stone from what I can tell, which in turn releases the slurry from the stones that respond to it in that way--kosher cotis and Thuris coming to mind here.

OK, max on coti then go to thuri (and NO glycerin or soap)

It was just that I was finally starting to see some progress from oil or soap or glycerin on the coti and got to thinking...(do you smell smoke??)

I can just see Aephilli looking at the escher label saying "USE NO OIL, LATHER, OR GREASE" then looking at the camera, then at the label, then the camera, then the label, then the camera, then he pours oil on the stone.

I can just see Aephilli looking at the escher label saying "USE NO OIL, LATHER, OR GREASE" then looking at the camera, then at the label, then the camera, then the label, then the camera, then he pours oil on the stone.

no label on this one, so "i didn't know" is my story, and I'm stickin' to it!!!
:lol:

Top Bottom