What's new

I like big brushes and I can not lie!

And a round thing in your face
You get sprung,

I love me some big brushes. A brush has to feel good in the hand, there has to be some substance. ie weight to the handle, density to the knot.

Two brushes that I have that I do/did not like are the Plisson and another cheap China synthetic. I got the cheap one with an acrylic brush holder for $5.99 so I figure the brush is worth $3. It is actually a good little brush and feels better than the Plisson did BUT I do not like little brushes

For me a brush has to have .....
Baby got back! Bone
$bbWP_20150127_002.jpg
I like the Omega's 48 especially. Their brushes may be cheap in price but they are well made. I will be getting some more Omega's. I want a brush with a nice horn or ivory handle

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Weigh in if you like Big Brushes or don't and why?[/FONT]

Nice collection!

I sometimes like larger knots, and sometimes smaller. Both have their advantages, in my opinion.

I have a Omega 10048 and 10049. I head shave and head lather. I love them. Once they are broken in, they feel great and lather great. Lather flys all over the bathroom. Great brush.

Do I like big brushes? You bet I do!

Here are three of my four Beasts (the blue handled one isn't mine). The white handled one is 30 mm x 69 mm:

To put that into perspective, here it is with a more normal sized (22 mm) and my smallest brush:

There is nothing that can replace the feel of a very large and very soft Silvertip. It is like lathering with a cloud!

For me, a small brush is 26mm. I recently ordered a couple of "small brushes" and they aren't bad, but the sensation of lathering isn't quite the same. Also, their smaller handles don't feel as comfortable in my big hand.

I had a Kent BK12 with a 30mm knot. It was nice to display, but entirely impractical to use regularly. My sweet spot is now 22mm, but I do love my Omega 48.

I'm with you man. I have actually only Proraso/Omega ones and... I;m always happy with them.
I like it long and dense too.

I seem to like 26-28mm bulbs and 22-24mm fans. My 25mm Thater bulb feels a bit small while my 24mm SOC boar feels too big.

@chrisss Nice collection!

I see I have some catching up to do! Most of your brushes look the similar as in loft.

Very recent Omega convert here, and very sad I didn’t discover big brushes earlier in my wetshaving life. Nothing worse than re-making lather for a second or third pass!

I love only 'big' brushes too. My collection consists of Simpson Chubby 2's and 3's as well as Rooney Heritage Stubby XL's(2XL and XL's). All are quite dense and have knots in the 28-32mm range. I love them all. Only downside is that the Chubby3's are real 'lather hogs' but I don't care. The only big brush I ever bought that I didn't like was a Kent BK12. Too big for my face and way too floppy. Not much backbone for a brush that large.

Craig

I like a big boar brush for making lather from a cream in the bowl. There, it sheds off the brush, leaving me with a consistent lather that I can ration out as needed from pass to pass, ending with touch-ups. Omega 20106 and the Turkish Jaguar are especially good in this regard IMO.

Bigger the better. Softer the better. Closer it gets to zero scritch the better. The floppier the better.

Right now, my two main brushes are a VP Leonhardy 700030 (the more and more I used the more I love it), and a Vulfix 41. Someday in the not too distant future I'll probably end up with a VPL 700040 or 700050.

Top Bottom