What's new

I can hear my razor cutting whiskers?

I’ve been DE shaving for two months now and I am happy and content with my progress so far, however I am curious about the sound my razor sometimes makes. Even at an extremely shallow angle I can hear the slightly metallic sound of the blade cutting my whiskers. Any shallower angle and it seems that all I have is the razor head sliding on my cheek with no blade contact at all. Is is that I just haven’t found that sweet spot yet?
I still seen to be getting a good shave with no undue irritation so I am not particlary worried about this, but I’m curious if others experience this?

The gear I'm using, which is my typical daily line-up:

EJ Chatsworth Barley Classic
Astra SP blade
Kent BLK8 Silvertip
Triple milled soap (can’t remember the name and I threw the box away)
Junichi Tanaka Artisanal Shaving Scuttle
Aqua Velva Ice Blue aftershave

The Braveheart head on a Bulldog stainless handle is the loudest combo I've used by quite some distance. Think Weber PH x2 :blink:

The best shaves for me are the either the ones where I get great audio feedback of each hair being cut down - GEM SE razors are loud! - or the ones where the hair falls silently away.
So far the only time I have managed the squeegee effect is with a Feather Pro blade in a Cobra or Feather Artist Club razor.

Yup, slim on 5, cella soap from brick, polsilver si blades, every other day i hear the singing [emoji2]

That's the sound of your razor singing to you [emoji4]

For the first few weeks, the song my blade (Derby) was singing to me was “Highway To Hell”. Since I’ve switched to an Astra SP all I hear now is “Sweet Caroline”.

Blades and Razors will each sing us a different tune. The path to the ‘perfect shave’ is in our ability to sing harmony with them. Good hunting and happy shaving! :straight:

That my friend is the sound of SUCCESS!!!

Its completely normal. It helps you get even better if you pay close attention. The razor lets you know when your doing right and when your not.

Thanks to everyone for your illuminating responses to my post, and for clearing up this little mystery of the ‘singing’ razor! Now I’m more excited to shave than ever and eagerly look forward to tomorrow’s ‘serenade’. :thumbup:

For the first few weeks, the song my blade (Derby) was singing to me was “Highway To Hell”. Since I’ve switched to an Astra SP all I hear now is “Sweet Caroline”.

Blades and Razors will each sing us a different tune. The path to the ‘perfect shave’ is in our ability to sing harmony with them. Good hunting and happy shaving! :straight:

:lol:

Early-on, I did not have a good way to tell if the angle was right. I happened upon the resonating whisker-cutting sound as a check that the blade was doing its job. Now I turn off the faucet to ensure I can hear it. I try to go for the most acute angle, the one where I can rock the razor closest to perpendicular, and still get that sound.
Getting that sound is not a 100% thing. I found that on low-growth areas of the face, it is practically undetectable after the first pass. In those stubborn areas that require an AGT fourth pass for BBS, I could probably do passes until mid-day and still hear it every now and then.

Top Bottom