What's new

Moving to Chicago! Any info?

Hey folks! Never posted in this section before....My lady and I are re-locating to Chicago, and I'm curious if anybody out there has any beta/advice for getting settled/enjoying myself in the windy city. We're mid-twenty somethings, coming from Truckee, California (Lake Tahoe)...Both are heavy into outdoor-related activities, most of which are gravity-fed (skiing, mountain biking, whitewater kayaking), which we know we're going to be giving up somewhat in making the move, but I suppose that's to give you an idea of our lifestyle. She has a museum collections job lined up, and I'm a cook/chef by trade.

So I guess a few questions: could anybody advise us on neighborhoods we should be looking to move to? I supposed we're shooting for a youngerish, eclectic place with decent bikeability. Any recommendations on favorite/beloved restaurants? I'll be hitting the ground running with my resume, and it's easy enough to find what are the 'top-rated' and well-documented places, but if there are any that you're particularly fond of (definitely prefer to work in fine dining). Next: anything else you could recommend, like information you wish you had known before you moved there, your favorite place for hotdogs/pizza, your favorite park, etc? Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks!

One thing I will say, be sure to have plenty of warm clothes. It gets COLD! I was only in Chicago for about a year so I don't know a whole lot about it. If you like real spicy food, can't go wrong with Uncle Joe's Jerk! Lou Mainati's has good pizza. There is Millenium Park which offers a variety of things to do at different times. Navy Pier is also a go to place with lots to do. http://navypier.com/ That's all I can really think of for now. I'm sure someone that's been there for a long time can offer better suggestions.

One thing I will say, be sure to have plenty of warm clothes. It gets COLD! I was only in Chicago for about a year so I don't know a whole lot about it. If you like real spicy food, can't go wrong with Uncle Joe's Jerk! Lou Malnati's has good pizza. There is Millenium Park which offers a variety of things to do at different times. Navy Pier is also a go to place with lots to do. http://navypier.com/ That's all I can really think of for now. I'm sure someone that's been there for a long time can offer better suggestions.
Lou Malnati's!!! I second that - my favorite pizza in Chicago. Sorry, can't offer any other advice as I only get to visit from time to time.

Oh yeah, this is the Cubs year!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Are you going to be living IN Chicago? or are you looking for something in the surrounding suburbs?
A lot of people say "I live in Chicago" when in fact they live in a suburb 20 miles from Chicago.

Unless you abosoulty love the big city life I would look for a place in the surrounding suburbs. Main reason is cheaper housing. And IMO there are only a handful of good areas IN Chicago worth living in.

Commuting won't be a problem if you are coming from CA, I'm sure you are used to a commute. There are highways around every turn, mostly all under contstruction so be prepared for that. You can also find a train that will take you from the suburbs to Chicago at just about anytime of the day.

There are LOTS of bike trails around the Chicago area. I forget the actual number but I lived in Aurora and loved the Fox River Trail which can take you though several cities and runs for about 50 miles. That's just one trail. The Illinois Prairie Path is about 60 miles overall.

This is a good site that will detail all the trails http://www.traillink.com/trail/fox-river-trail-(il).aspx

Oh, and I will say try not to watch the news too much. Constantly hearing about shootings can get kind of depressing.

Have lived in the Chicago area over thirty years. Given your demographic I'd say find a trendy Chicago neighborhood and live large in the Windy City. If her job has to do with museum collections that will be in the city I would imagine. You guys don't need a yard. In ten years you will be glad that at this season of life you did the city thing. I would think her employer would be a great resource for where to start. I will say that in general your more hip neighborhoods are on what we call the north side. Think Wrigleyville, Lincoln Park... there are so many. I'm more a suburb guy but you are in for a real treat.

As to the weather, be glad you missed last year. Lots of shoveling, believe me. Funny thing is you adapt. So this morning I went out to get the paper in a t-shirt and shorts and the temp was 17 degrees. Yes, I walked right along but to me it didn't feel cold since you just adapt and by the end of January that didn't seem bad. Back in November it would have killed me. Go figure.

Lou Malnati's is the only place for pizza. Likewise the only place for hot dogs is Portillos. Navy Pier is predominantly for tourists but you need to do it once. Here is a top rate place you will spend some coin in: http://www.qbrothers.com

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Likewise the only place for hot dogs is Portillos. Navy Pier is predominantly for tourists but you need to do it once.

And Italian Beefs!! Although there are many great beef shacks around.

Careful of the seaguls at Navy Pier, one was practically eating out of my hand last time I was there. Don't feed them!

Came back to this thread after is was dormant for a while (forgot to tell it to notify me), thank you all for the helpful advice, Captain especially. I think your advice regarding our age/choice is sound. We ended up finding a place above a new restaurant in Logan Square, and we just arrived (we'll be staying at my cousin's before we move in). We're way excited!

I would recommend Frontera Grill, Arun's Thai Restaurant, and Girl & The Goat to anyone going to Chicago. Some of my favorite restaurants in the downtown area. I would also recommend trying to go to the Chicago Symphony at least once. Assuming you're into that. They're one of the most prestigious symphonies in the world and they never fail to disappoint, especially when they're playing something good.

Top Bottom