What's new

Pen Review: Waterman Expert

Waterman Expert, Medium Steel Nib

proxy.php

I’ve had this pen for a few months and have given it a fair amount of use, and run several different inks through it, so it’s time for a review.

First Impression. Rating: 8
I had a chance to try this pen at a pen shop in Zurich, Switzerland, so I had a pretty good idea what to expect. It came in a standard blue Waterman box, nothing special, but attractive and well-made. Included with the pen were the usual instruction booklet and warranty, along with a single Serenity Blue ink cartridge. Much to my surprise, a converter was NOT included with the pen. I purchased one online at an additional expense.

Appearance. Rating: 8
The pen is a fairly simple design, with a matte black body and cap, shiny black jewel on the barrel, and a shiny black jewel on the cap. The end of the cap jewel has a inset, shiny chrome disk set at a shallow angle. The body is thick in the middle and tapers smoothly to each end. The pen is constructed of metal (brass?), with a matte black lacquer coating. Because of the metal body, it’s fairly heavy but not unduly so. The hardware (furniture) is a shiny chrome metal plating and is smooth and well done. The pocket clip is tight and springy and feels very solid. The overall appearance is conservative and un-flashy. It would work quite well in a business setting.

Design/Size/Weight. Rating: 9
This is not a small pen, but not oversized. It might be too large for someone with small hands, but should be quite comfortable to a user with normal to large hands. The section is smooth but not slippery, and since it’s a snap-on cap, there are no threads to interfere with your grip. The cap snaps on the back of the pen for posting, but I find it a bit too long and back-heavy, so I use it unposted.

Dimensions:​
Length Capped: 142mm​
Length Uncapped: 125mm​
Cap Diameter: 13mm​
Section Diameter: 11mm​
Barrel Diameter: 12mm​
Overall Weight (Filled): 34 grams​

Nib. Rating: 9
The Medium nib is stainless steel with a nice smooth glob of tipping material. The nib is rigid with almost no flex. There is excellent ink flow, but it’s not sloppy. It’s one of the nicest steel nibs I’ve tried.

Filling System. Rating: 10
Cartridge/Converter. As mentioned above, a converter was not included with the pen, only a single Waterman ink cartridge. A proprietary Waterman push-in, twist-type converter was purchased and installed. I’ve used the pen with both cartridges and the converter, and have had no issues with either filling system.

Cost and Value. Rating: 6
This pen was received as a gift, so I can’t comment on the cost, but similar pens are available in the $90 to $120 range. As far as value, I felt that not including a converter with a $100 pen was a very poor decision on Waterman’s part. Even the cheapest Asian pens include a decent converter. Other than that shortcoming, I think it’s a fine value.

Conclusion. Total Rating: 8.3
This is a well-made pen with a very good, smooth steel nib. It’s solid and durable, and should provide many years of excellent use. It’s a regular in my rotation and I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it to anyone looking to upgrade to good-looking, well-performing pen without having to jump to the next price level for a gold nib.

Additional Photos:

proxy.php

proxy.php

thanks Larry, great review, i see these pens all the time and don't pay much attention to them, may have to give them a better look next time

Nice review.

I bought the exact same pen a month or two ago, and most of your comments hold true, IMO. I was disappointed there was no converter included, but I was able to grab one locally pretty cheap. I've only tried Parker Quink in it so far, and have had a few minor issues with it skipping the beginning stroke of letters from time to time. I'm currently expecting a few ink samples in the mail, and am hoping they'll remedy the issue.

Overall, love the weight, feel, and look of the pen. Just need to find an ink that both myself, and the pen like best.

Nice review! I like the Waterman Expert (but for some reason I don't have one myself).

It's a long time ago that I bought a modern Waterman pen (over 15 years ago), but if my memory does not betray me, it also did not come with a converter back then.

Still not sure why I sold my Waterman Gentleman pen ... it was a fine pen (slightly heavy).

Nice review. Waterman pens are very nice and well made. I have an old Expert II that is very nice to write with.

One quick question, have you taken the bottom out of the box the pen came in? Normally that is where you will find the converter.

One quick question, have you taken the bottom out of the box the pen came in? Normally that is where you will find the converter.
Yep, first place I looked. I did a search around the interwebs and confirmed that, in fact, the Expert does not ship with a converter.

I just bought one today from my local dealer. They threw in a free converter with purchase. Got mine with a fine nib and love the way it writes. I do agree that when the cap is posted, the balance is top heavy but otherwise, it'a a great writer and an exceptional value.

proxy.php

One quick question for those that have used this pen with non-Waterman cartridges. Will this accept Montblank ink cartridges for occasions when cartridges are more convenient?

One quick question for those that have used this pen with non-Waterman cartridges. Will this accept Montblank ink cartridges for occasions when cartridges are more convenient?
If the Montblanc cartridges are the same as standard international cartridges, they will not work. I just tried fitting an international cart into my Expert and it is too loose.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member

It's always been my understanding that the smaller "international" cartridges will fit Waterman pens. I don't have the Expert but Montblanc style carts fit my modern Waterman pens.

strop

Now half as wise
I enjoy the Waterman pens that I have and agree the nibs are great. I really wish Waterman would join other makers and offer a piston fill mechanism. Pelikan, Montblanc, Aurora, Delta, Sailor, Pilot, etc. all offer some pen with it.

I'm actually talking about the Montblanc smaller sized "international" cartridges as in the image below. They look to be the same size and shape as the Waterman smaller cartridges. I wouldn't mind "wasting" a few bucks to try them out firsthand but don't want to risk damaging the pen itself.

proxy.php

It's always been my understanding that the smaller "international" cartridges will fit Waterman pens. I don't have the Expert but Montblanc style carts fit my modern Waterman pens.

If the Montblanc cartridges are the same as standard international cartridges, they will not work. I just tried fitting an international cart into my Expert and it is too loose.

Top Bottom