What's new

A "loaded" wedge,

While restoring a W&B I wanted to keep a traditional look. The original scales were rounded with traditional washers and pins.
i decided on a squarish end ( just like that look on a W&B ) along with triple stacks. This combo seems to go hand in hand. Duplicating original type scales is straight forward enough but the thing I needed was a lead wedge.
I first melted up some solder but it acts more like white metal as today's "lead free " solder is really tin and antimony.
So I went to my reloading bench and grabbed a .45 200 G wad cutter bullet.
A few raps with a hammer flattened it nicely and I was able to easily put a taper to it. Once flattened I traced a general outline of what I needed and cut it out. A bit of sanding made both surfaces smooth and blemish free. Drilled it and got it installed.
My friend who does my bullets uses wheel weights .So If you don't have access to cast bullets just head to your local tire store and ask for a couple of old wheel weights.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 193
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 194
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 193
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 195
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
And here it is in place.
Although this isn't a true resto I did want the look to appear as if it's factory . Using silver would have been much too shiny. The same would have happened with the solder but that gives me other ideas to try. But this has that satiny sheen in that distinctive dull gray color that the original wedges have.
I have around 8,000 rounds left if anyone needs some lead. But give it a try for your next resto and your 100 yr old wedge has seen better days. It's easy peasy .

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 192
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 192
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 190
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
Yeah! Why does that make me giggle? It could have been anything that was lead. But this for some reason has a cool factor just knowing that little detail.
Isn't this " stuff" just too cool. Ha. Love it!

BTW here is the first go 'round with the solder. Hammering it just caused it to crack. It was a bugger to sand. But I do like the almost silvery shine it has. Like I said. I'll find a use for this as well. The mice are always spinning the wheels in my head.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
I have made it a habit to keep the old lead wedges from the old scales & blades I have collected to restore. I have a 1/2 a dozen or so. My hope is to use them on really some old blades and scales that can be truly restored.

Yours looks particularly nice BTW!

Oh I did too. But do a few hundred and they seem to disappear pretty quickly. Yeah, many go back into the same type of blade.(scale) But build a few others and old stock is gone. A half dozen? Gone in a week.Sometimes a day . 30 on the bench and who knows what they'll need. I needed another source and this fits the bill. Actually better than the originals. Gotta get more bullets!

Last edited:
Beautiful work, mycarver! Just out of curiosity what did you make your scales out of? And what kit/materials did you use for the peening process?

-Kyro

I'm sure the solder could be cast in a mould. It's no different than how the bullet or fishing weights are made. Yeah, they'll work too. Anything lead.

The scales are black horn. The pinning /washers is the usual brass rod with either stock, modified and hand made washers .

I need to place another order but here is a sample from Masecraftsupply.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 134
I'm gonna have to look into working with horn. Wood is fun and all but I don't care for CA finishes. I'll have to give it a go! Your work is awesome.

Oh yeah,,, give it a go. I make a living working with wood. But my material of choice for razors is horn. Granted it does have its nuances but for razors I don't think it can be beat. It's my go to material. Like wood, no two pieces are alike . Some subtle, some just wild. Once you learn to tame it , it's the best.

Top Bottom