What's new

What is the best quality slant razor on the market, old or new stock.

Well that's kinda hard to answer. There are a few different types of slants made, and you say BEST?...
do you want SS machined, Bakelite, or brand name pot metal...

it it boils down to what you like as BEST.

Another vote for Above the tie S2, I have tried aluminium V3 Razorock stealth slant and recently ordered the stainless steel stealth. I had experience with various other razors like EJ DE89L, Merkur futur, Merkur 34C, Muhle R41.

ATT S2 is by far the best of the lot. I like razorock stealth too. But its a bit too mild for me. For a quick shave its also a good razor. But its very difficult to get.

The only draw back of ATT S2 is its price point. With 185 US$ price tag its one of the most expensive razor in the market. If you have a good razor handle though you can just purchase the head for 146 US$. But to me its worth the high price. As it is made of stainless steel, if you handle with care, it can out live you. The shave with it is just amazing, it gives me irritation free BBS every time with most of the good blades. I prefer Astra/BIC/Polsilver with this.

If you have budget; just go for it! You won't regret.

German 2 piece Aequator. It is brass instead of Zamac like most of the 1930s slants and has the Solingen slant head which IMO is the best ever designed. Not easy to find but it was also marketed by several company's under various names. It is a large 2 piece razor with the base plate attached to the handle and the cap secured by a knob assembly. The picture is of the Lumina version.
$8764369fhp.jpg$8764373pxn.jpg

German 2 piece Aequator. It is brass instead of Zamac like most of the 1930s slants and has the Solingen slant head which IMO is the best ever designed. Not easy to find but it was also marketed by several company's under various names. It is a large 2 piece razor with the base plate attached to the handle and the cap secured by a knob assembly. The picture is of the Lumina version.
View attachment 544351View attachment 544352

That is a very nice looking razor! Thanks for posting those pics. Is the head geometry similar to any of the other German slants? If so, which ones?
My favorite slant is the ATT S2, but my second favorite is an aluminum German slant (Norma). I've posted pics of it elsewhere. It is very light weight, but still a very effective shaver.

I only got my ATT S2 (Atlas handle) on Monday, so I've only had three shaves with it so far, but what's remarkable about it to me is it's the first razor I've used where I effectively never nick myself (granted I've only got about 3-4 months DE experience so far). No irritation from it, either, and no other razor has done such a good job on my neck.

Now, some of this may just be ongoing improvement of my technique, so I'll have to go back to some other razors for a real comparison, but my sense is that the S1/S2 design affords a remarkably smooth, problem-free shave while remaining nicely efficient. Pretty cool trick!

I've used the Stealth and the Ikon B1. The stealth was like shaving with a piece of 2x4 screwed onto the handle. Just huge. I do like the Ikon.

For a full production razor that is readily available my vote goes to ATT in either the S1 or S2 format. I like them both and as I have said elsewhere: the S 1 gives a bit smoother shave and the S2 gives a bit closer shave. However, you can't go wrong with either one.

IB has some prototypes but they are not in full production and are difficult to find.

I've only tried the Merkur and original Ikon Slant and I prefer shaving with the Ikon. I have a stainless Razorock Slant on the way (yippee!!!) and I'm sure I'll try an ATT soon as well.

IMHO, every review or recommendation should be accompanied by a few qualifiers regarding the poster.
1. How long has the poster been wetshaving.
2. Does the poster have heavy whiskers, light whiskers.
3. Does the poster have actual experience with the product he's recommending.
There's probably other qualifiers I'm forgetting at the moment.
In that vein, I've been using the Merkur 39C Slant daily for about 2 years, and, although it's the only slant I've ever used, it's perfect for my heavy beard growth. Experiencing it's close, comfortable shave, I felt no need to try any other slant. Or to spend $185 for any razor, ever. Of course, YMMV.

IMHO, every review or recommendation should be accompanied by a few qualifiers regarding the poster.
1. How long has the poster been wetshaving.
2. Does the poster have heavy whiskers, light whiskers.
3. Does the poster have actual experience with the product he's recommending.
There's probably other qualifiers I'm forgetting at the moment.
In that vein, I've been using the Merkur 39C Slant daily for about 2 years, and, although it's the only slant I've ever used, it's perfect for my heavy beard growth. Experiencing it's close, comfortable shave, I felt no need to try any other slant. Or to spend $185 for any razor, ever. Of course, YMMV.

Fair enough.

1. I have been traditional shaving with a DE razor since 1959: 56 years.
2. I have a heavy beard that grows in various directions and swirls.
3. I currently have 20 DE and SE razors including the following slants: ATT S1 and S2 with a Kronos Handle, Merkur 37C, Hoffritz Slant, RR Prototype.

At one time I would have said that my adjustable razors were my favorites. However, after buying the Merkur 37C - my first slant - things changed. I then bought a Hoffritz, followed the the RR, and the ATT is my most recent purchase.

If money is an issue the Merkur is fine and will do a good job. However, the ATT -IMHO - is superior to any of the others. It feels great and gives a great shave. The RR is next. The only issues with the RR prototype is its limited availability and the size of the head.

Fair enough.

1. I have been traditional shaving with a DE razor since 1959: 56 years.
2. I have a heavy beard that grows in various directions and swirls.
3. I currently have 20 DE and SE razors including the following slants: ATT S1 and S2 with a Kronos Handle, Merkur 37C, Hoffritz Slant, RR Prototype.

At one time I would have said that my adjustable razors were my favorites. However, after buying the Merkur 37C - my first slant - things changed. I then bought a Hoffritz, followed the the RR, and the ATT is my most recent purchase.

If money is an issue the Merkur is fine and will do a good job. However, the ATT -IMHO - is superior to any of the others. It feels great and gives a great shave. The RR is next. The only issues with the RR prototype is its limited availability and the size of the head.

I'd call that a well informed recommendation.

Top Bottom