What's new

Which pipe tobacco for a newbie?

Which "drug store" pipe tobacco should I try? I was thinking Captain Black but which one? I was thinking maybe Gold which is golden Cavendish or Dark which is black Cavendish.

I would recommend Carter Hall as an over the counter brand. A lot of new pipe smokers will quit after a bowl of some OTC cherry.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I would recommend Carter Hall as an over the counter brand. A lot of new pipe smokers will quit after a bowl of some OTC cherry.

I will second that- Captain Black can bite pretty easily if you are inexperienced.

The other OTC I like is Sir Walter Raleigh aromatic, if you wanted something in the aromatic type of tobacco. It can still bite if you smoke it too fast and hard, but it is an easier smoke for beginners than the capt black series. I'd say to really avoid Borkum Riff brand, that stuff still tries to tongue bite me every time I smoke it. lol

Gonna piggyback onto Owen and Ronnie's suggestion of Carter Hall. Good for a beginner or a veteran.
This section of b&b is great. I love how everyone is so helpful. Just like on the shave side. Really makes you feel like you have brothers all over the world.

Agree with everything above. Carter Hall is cheap, and predictable. Haven't personally had Sir Walter Raleigh, but have heard good things.

Avoid Borkum Riff.

Which "drug store" pipe tobacco should I try? I was thinking Captain Black but which one? I was thinking maybe Gold which is golden Cavendish or Dark which is black Cavendish.

Get a brown leaf badge and I'll send you a few pouches of different stuff for Ya to try

The other OTC I like is Sir Walter Raleigh aromatic, if you wanted something in the aromatic type of tobacco. It can still bite if you smoke it too fast and hard, but it is an easier smoke for beginners than the capt black series. I'd say to really avoid Borkum Riff brand, that stuff still tries to tongue bite me every time I smoke it. lol

proxy.php

I'll go against the grain on the Carter Hall recommendation. To me it's cigarettey and that's a turn-off no matter how nicely it behaves.

Go for Prince Albert! Cool and flavorful and cheap. Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic is a good one if you wanted an aromatic.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
For an OTC I would vote for Captain Black White.

Ditto. This is what I smoked in college in my first pipe. Easy to smoke, tasted good, and good aroma while you're smoking it. I also like carter hall and sir Walter raleigh, but captain black white is a good one to start withZ

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I say grab some Carter Hall and some Captain Black white. Two totally different experiences for the beginner. Why attempt to chose one experience when you can have two! :)

proxy.php

I'll go against the grain on the Carter Hall recommendation. To me it's cigarettey and that's a turn-off no matter how nicely it behaves.
I am not a cigarette smoker. Never smoked a cigarette. But I have to say, my first experience with CH was excellent. I posted about it. No relights, nice smooth smoke and I quite liked the taste! Maybe I should try a cig...? :blink:
Nah... scratch that thought!
I vote to grab some Carter Hall and see what you think. Easy to pack, light, and smoke. I would recommend this to anyone as a starter. An aromatic like those suggested is probably a good call too, just don't expect it to taste what it smells like.
Based on the recommendation by Shave_Rat, I think I need to get hold of some Sir Walter Raleigh now...

Top Bottom