What's new

new peterson 303

Enjoying the break in, but noticed that after 4 or 5 bowls now, the pipe cleaner still comes out red. I had read that the standard pete's are a bit sloppy in the over applicator of stain. sadly I cam confirm this. still think I like the system and the p-lip. happy with the purchase, look forward to finally getting it nicely caked and clean of extra stain

If it were my Peterson (and dang it, it isn't!) I'd smoke 4-5 bowls as you've done. Let it rest a day or two, then run a 2-3 pipe cleaners thru the stem dipped in grain alcohol such as EverClear or a good inexpensive whiskey like Jack Daniels or Evan Williams that should get the remainder out and the rest is just good ole fashioned breaking in!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Does Peterson's just not care anymore what they are putting out there? Your name can only carry you so far.

Meh it's like everyone, you can buy a Mercedes but only the top tier are true long high end cars. Everyone has their name on all levels to make a buck. It's what you do with it that makes the difference.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
But stain inside the pipe? I am not a pipe maker, but cork in the bowl and the stem will stop stain from getting in there when you dip it.

I think a lot of recent Petes are dip stained. You can swab inside the shank with a pipe cleaner to remove it and let it sit for a day or two.

Don't worry, I've heard people who bought ferndowns have the same problem.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I think a lot of recent Petes are dip stained. You can swab inside the shank with a pipe cleaner to remove it and let it sit for a day or two.

Don't worry, I've heard people who bought ferndowns have the same problem.
Guess I will stick to Tinsky's

I have the same problem with my Peterson's Killarney XL90. Every time I pull the stem to clean the System chamber, I get stain on my pipe cleaner if I am using EverClear. I have had the pipe for about three years now.

3 years ...wow... bummer. I cleaned it this AM with a BUNCH of pipe cleaners, and some Ron Burgundy Scotch (as I don't have everclear, and don't mind wasting a little Ron Burgundy as a cleaner) and It seems like I got pretty much all of it this time. we'll see after I smoke and clean it again.

I'm guessing that the Ron Burgundy isn't very good? My wife wanted to get me some of it but couldn't find it, I wasn't too keen on it but I figured I'd try it...

Its actually not that bad. It is nothing I would buy on a reg basis, but I enjoyed it with a bunch of friends one night. Basic, Jonnie Walker Red, kind of scotch

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I'm guessing that the Ron Burgundy isn't very good? My wife wanted to get me some of it but couldn't find it, I wasn't too keen on it but I figured I'd try it...
Just don't drink it while wearing cologne from Odeon

Attachments

• $2015-01-29-11-07-04-1515085198.jpeg
    $2015-01-29-11-07-04-1515085198.jpeg
    3.6 KB · Views: 65
OK smoked a bowl of some sort of bulk tobacco in the 303 today. Nice smoke, but multiple pipe cleaners still came out red :( also I really like the idea of this shape as I thought it would be easy for clenching while reading on my tablet. However I seem to be having an issue with smoke rising from the bowl and getting in my face...have to see if I can alter my technique , otherwise I may need a pipe that sits a bit further from my face ...$WP_20150126_09_45_03_Smart.jpg

Last edited:
Michael, use some Everclear or Vodka on the cleaners so the stain will dissolve and get picked up by the next dry pipe cleaner.

As far as smoke in the face, you will eventually learn the technique of blowing a puff of air out your nose or one around the button with your mouth.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
If pipe cleaner and scotch didn't do the trick, try a salt/alcohol treatment (or several). Info on the how to if you're unfamiliar is in the gentleman's essentials sticky. It will be tricky to clean all of the salt out of the sump on a Pete system pipe when you're done, so just make sure you get all of it out. Also, qtips are better for cleaning the sump than pipe cleaners, in my experience.

Top Bottom