What's new

RAD, SAD, BAD killers?

Getting into DE razors (for me) started because I was tired of the poor cartridge shave, canned goo, and wanted a better shave and maybe save some money from buying expensive cartridges..........

Well, as many before me have learned, this endeavor doesn't always result in a person actually saving money, at least in the beginning.

So, is there any items that have gotten you to a point to where you are no longer searching for the right _______ (fill in the blank - razor, soap, blade, brush, etc.), and thus killed your acquisition disorder?

For me, it's been:

Razor - A.T.T. Atlas set with M,R,H heads
Soaps - Stirling
Blades - Haven't found one I really couldn't make work.
Brushes - Rudy Vey
Scuttle/bowl - Dirty Bird
Aftershave - homebrew

From this point on, it quite possibly could be economical.
Anyone else killed off their disorder(s)?

DE Razor - A.T.T. Kronos H2, R2, H1, R1, M1
Soaps - Phoenix Artisan & MdC
Blades - Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow
Brushes - Rubberset 400 with TGN 24mm HMW knot
Scuttle/bowl - cheap Dollar Store plastic salsa bowl works great for me
Aftershave - Nancy Boy Signature Gel

If I stopped here maybe it could be economical. But there's more...

SE Razor - not done yet, been waiting for an all stainless version. Maybe a Mongoose once available again
Straights - I have too many already but I have two more $$$$ ones that I want to try
Strop - Kanayama (this things awesome) but I'd love to try a Tony Miller Strop as well
Hones - lots more to try. Far from done here and these can get really costly.

Last edited:
DE razor: #15 but the #16 looks good and the .....
Soaps: Stirling
Blades: Voskhod
Brush: Omega boar

So if you don't count straight razors and honing stones I'm cured ( but those #16 look nice:thumbup:)

Yeppers, Im getting the best shaves ever, most razors now do not do anything for me.

Razor: Vintage Merkur Progress
Blade: Gillette Platinum
Brush: custom made Rudy Vey with a TGN Finest
Soap: Haslinger Schafmilch, with sheeps milk and lanolin, good stuff
Cream: Nivea sensitive
Bowl: just a vintage black bowl my Mother purchased for me for my birthday while she was out thrifting
Aftershave: none

Set the Progress at 2 with the Platinum, nice and smooth, match made in heaven, ymmv of course. Still have a bit of soap/cream disorder, don't feel completely done there yet. :001_smile

Well personally I have bought quite a bit of stuff (came up on a great deal I couldn't pass up).. So 6 razors in, blades and all here are mine.

Razor: Merkur 34C or Gillette 40's Super Speed (still working on technique and have yet to use other razors)
Blade: Military Exchange branded blades (made in Israel)
Brush: Van Der Hagen shave kit brush
Soap: Caties Bubbles Irish Cream soap
Cream: Nivea sensitive skin post shave balm
Bowl: Van Der Hagen shave kit bowl
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Blue

Blades - Kai (have worked well for me in all of my razors)
Brushes - Muhle STF 21-23mm & LASSC $8 Synthetic (surprisingly good performance)

And that's it. The RAD, SAD, and AAD are still going; though I have slowed down and am trying to pare down the den.

Razor: gold Aristocrat
Soap: Stirling
Brush: omega
Blade: Personna blue
Aftershave: stirling and old spice.

I also have a #21 on its way, but that will be it. The only other shaving item i wish to acquire is a scuttle

This thread is probably a great fit for General Shaving Discussion, no? :thumbup1:

I wish I could say I'm cured of all the various ADs. It's possible that my RAD has calmed way down now that I have my Atlas S2; only thing is I'm already itching to get a Kronos handle to try with it too, and see how that compares. But between the Atlas S2 and either my fat boy or my NEW SC, I'm pretty good for razors.

My SAD ... it still seems to be going. Four more soaps arriving this week. Though the number I've now accumulated in a short time should end my SAD. Right? Right? Sigh.

Razor - 1940's Super Speed
Soap - Martin de Candre Fougere
Blade - Gillette Silver Blue
Brush - Semogue 620

If the Giant Talking Head decreed that I couldn't buy anything else, and had to make do with my current rotation/collection, I'd settle in on:

Razor: Schick injector Type G1, with Chick blade
Soap: Tabac
Brush: EJ best badger, large (disclaimer: I reserve the right to replace this -- my only brush as I write this -- with a Simpson best badger that I am contemplating, model TBD)
AS treatment: Lucky Tiger, followed by Ogalla Bay Rum and Sandalwood

Gosh I'm sure loving this set-up I'm running with currently. I've not tried numerous different soaps, etc but to be honest I'm very satisfied with what I've got here...

Razor: ATT Kronos M1
Blade: Astra SP
Brush: Omega 10065 boar
Soap: Arko
AS: Aqua Velva or Clubman

These have come together and brought me a great shave. I really have no interest in switching or changing in the forseeable future. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"!

Soap - Mitchell's Wool Fat (will try Tabac soon)
Blade - Astra SP or Feather
Razor - Gillette NEW lc...but I still use others and will buy more
Brush - impossible for me
Moisturizer - Jack Black (never need another)

I think I've actually achieved it now - last cog was the ATT S2 to fit every thing into place.
Razor - ATT S2 Kronos
Blade - Polsilver SI
Brush Plisson EW Antic brass
Soap - Martin de Candre
Post shave - Shea Butter.

Razor: Gillette NEW LC bar handle
Blade: Astra SP
Brush: Shaver Joe custom w/TGN finest
Soap: Mike's Natural any flavor
Post-shave: Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm

I think it's been almost a year since my last razor purchase which is saying a lot for me. The only razor item I may purchase is one of the slants from ATT. Other than that I'm good.

Razor - ATT Atlas w/ M1 head
Soaps - Czech & Speake 88 Soap
Blades - Gillette Silver Blue
Brushes - Simpson Persian Jar 2 Super Badger
Scuttle/bowl - Old stainless steel gravy bowl
Aftershave - Czech & Speake 88 or Proraso Green

Razor: Muhle r89/41 grande
Brush: cade plisson
Blade: personna blue
Soap: razorock captains choice/ aos sandalwood cream
A/s: captains choice BR
Straight: Torrey no. 146